• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Taste in Fashion - What Do YOU Want?

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
Obviously, Link's basic getup has been subject to slight alterations over the years, ranging from the addition of tights to a mail undershirt in TP. However, this thread is not about discussing small alterations and how they relate to Link. Instead, I ask you, the Zelda Dungeonites, how would you change Link's sense of fashion?

Get to posting.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Ooh! Maybe it would be cool if we put him in Zelda's dress?!

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. That would be awful.

No, more seriously... I'd like to get rid of the hat, make his hair brown, and switch his tunic to blue instead of green. I've never liked green. Also, a black vest over his tunic might be a nice addition.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
It wouldn't be the same if he had a different garb! D= Link's stuck with his green tonic and hat for all the games, and I couldn't see him look different. =(

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've done it...

I've "Westernized" Link, if that counts.

http://shadsie.deviantart.com/art/Great-Desert-Poster-127386126

I'm thinking, if I do more illustrations of my story, I might do Midna in her (as described) semi-Victorian getup and Coyote Link (his transformation in the story).

As for the above... those aren't just his outset clothes, he wears them as his usual garb the whole narrative, exception being things like pjs/medical gown when hurt, but the cowboy getup there? That's his quest-wear.

At least his hat's still green? (Braces self for stoning).

athenian200

Circumspect
I've "Westernized" Link, if that counts.

http://shadsie.deviantart.com/art/Great-Desert-Poster-127386126

I'm thinking, if I do more illustrations of my story, I might do Midna in her (as described) semi-Victorian getup and Coyote Link (his transformation in the story).

As for the above... those aren't just his outset clothes, he wears them as his usual garb the whole narrative, exception being things like pjs/medical gown when hurt, but the cowboy getup there? That's his quest-wear.

At least his hat's still green? (Braces self for stoning).

I like that poster, Shadsie. You have two Links. The version of Link on the right actually looks a lot like how I wanted him to look, if you just add the black vest.

The version on the left is probably what most Zelda fans would prefer if you put Link in a western, though. Don't me wrong, I like the games... I just don't like the color green. In older titles, I was always happy to get alternate tunics... I loved being able to freely wear either Zora and Goron Tunics in OoT when not underwater/in a hot place.

Din Akera

Sniper
I'm a traditionalist. The outfit in TP is perfect in my eyes, it was simply modified slightly for practicality. It is the traditional outfit that we have all seen him in, and I love that, It makes him identifiable if you will. That would be perference.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Ooh! Maybe it would be cool if we put him in Zelda's dress?!

What, you mean like this:
IMG000063.jpg

I should not be let lose with Twilight Princess figurines, should I? >:3

Anyway, I'm pretty much fine with Link's outfit as it is, luckily I adore green too~
Though one thing I would give him is a cape or cloak of some sort, not only would it look awesome as heck, but it would also be practical too, I mean who really goes trekking up Snowpeak/head without a warm cloak, or goes to the Gerudo Desert without something to keep the wind, heat and sand storms off you? I'd also add more bags and visible pockets to his outfit, hammerspace or not it would take ages to find what you were looking for if everything was just in one big bag! I also wish they'd add more brow to his clothes again, I liked it much better than the white undershirt and things he has now... and it was a much more natural and stealthy colour, and wouldn't show dirt as easily.....

...I'm thinking too deeply into practical aspects here, aren't I? :P Oh well.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I like that poster, Shadsie. You have two Links. The version of Link on the right actually looks a lot like how I wanted him to look, if you just add the black vest.

The version on the left is probably what most Zelda fans would prefer if you put Link in a western, though. Don't me wrong, I like the games... I just don't like the color green. In older titles, I was always happy to get alternate tunics... I loved being able to freely wear either Zora and Goron Tunics in OoT when not underwater/in a hot place.

*Twitch*

The one with the black hair in the blue coat is NOT a Link. THAT'S ZELDA!

She has dark hair in that fic, and she has reasons for preferring pants to a dress. Notice the Triforce pieces. What one does the dark haired figure have? Blue. Wisdom. ZELDA.

Link's design is mine, but Zelda's is based of an earlier artwork by my friend/co-writer. I guess I'm going to have to tell her that her character-design is too masculine. This will go over *well.*

athenian200

Circumspect
*Twitch*

The one with the black hair in the blue coat is NOT a Link. THAT'S ZELDA!

She has dark hair in that fic, and she has reasons for preferring pants to a dress. Notice the Triforce pieces. What one does the dark haired figure have? Blue. Wisdom. ZELDA.

Link's design is mine, but Zelda's is based of an earlier artwork by my friend/co-writer. I guess I'm going to have to tell her that her character-design is too masculine. This will go over *well.*

Oh my. *blush*

I'm sorry, I didn't know the Triforce of Wisdom was blue.

And really, don't give my opinion too much credit... I'm notoriously bad at telling boys from girls. I was *positive* Sheik was male up until the end of OoT.

The pants aren't what's throwing me off anyway... it's the short hair. I usually mistake men with long hair for women in real life, unless they have visible facial hair. And I usually mistake women with short hair for men unless they have prominent curves or breasts. Needless to say, I get a lot of people's gender wrong...

It's still a very nice scene, though. I like the clothes and the background.

Kazumi

chagy
That is a pretty good question. I never really think about what Link looks like. Maybe it is time for a bit of a change.. Or at least option for other clothes. Personally, I think that a little easter egg where you can wear Zelda's dress would be quite humorous, and I would fully endorse it.

But I think that you should have multiple different options for what you wear. Sure you could have the classic Green Tunic that all of the fanboys would explode without. But I think that I'd like to see Link in a full battle suit. With the helmet and everything.. All shiny and metallic.. Yeah. That would be cool. Also some random commoner clothes, and maybe a royal King's robe, or something like that. And again, also a dress because it would be funny.. It's always been my dream to run around Hyrule in a dress..

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
Might as well contribute to my own thread.

My idea would be for a Zelda game that was inspired by the 18th century - you know, pirates and whatnot. Link's outfit in this particular game was comprised of a bone-white collared shirt, a brown vest, and a frosty, olive green overcoat with tan cuffs and the tail split up the middle so he could ride a horse more easily. His pants would be a dark gray-brown, and he would wear brown leather boots that were knee-length. He would also have two belts: one for holding his sword (and would probably be worn over the coat), and one for holding up his pants. He would also have a brown tricorne hat because it would be fitting and tricorne hats are awesome.

Whenever I get around to drawing this I'll post it.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I would love nothing more than to have a variety of outfits that Link could wear. He has to keep the default green tunic though, but there should be other options. I liked how in TP they had the Zora armor look suitable for underwater exploration (the face cover was a great touch) and the Magic Armor was interesting, if not a little useless. I definitely want that Zora armor back, and I also think Link should get a set of casual clothes he can keep, maybe a full out suit of armor (that actually looks like a suit of armor and not some odd conglomeration of colored metals). Maybe even a medieval helmet visor attached to his hat to wear regularly just for the sake of it. Oh yes, and a winter jacket of some sort, since it can't be healthy to run around an ice dungeon in just that tunic and leggings.

Also (inner fangirl talking now, pay me no mind), am I the only person who thinks Link would look good in something like Jack Sparrow's pirate outfit? If they ever make a realistic Zelda game on the seas again, I want that.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think outfit switches would be cool in a game, climate-appropriate outfits - and since we've moved beyond N64 in graphics, they don't have to be just color-coded. As stated, a nice warm (fur lined, perhaps) cloak for snowy-cold places and ice dungeons, perhaps something breezery or Bedouin-inspired for sandy, hot desert areas, a nice suit of armor for heavy combat/to mix it up...

However, I think these should come with stipulation. If you switch Link out of his tunic and light mail into his heavy armor, his movements become a bit slower - not iron-boots level, but just *a hair* slower in reaction, to simulate heaviness and how such armor would work in combat. It would protect him very well, but he'd have to sacrifice speed. (It could be sort of like your heavy fighers vs. fragile speeders on fighting games). Now, in special areas, such as an ice dungeon, perhaps wearing the regular garb instead of the winter cloak would have a PENALTY EFFECT - as in, there is a slow health-drain if you're wearing the non-cold appropriate wear (and perhaps, every once in a while, Link pauses to cough and sneeze to reflect his hypothermia). This would serve as a small penalty, but also as a gameplay variety device: Those people who enjoy a challenge might like to keep him in his standard tunic just to have that extra challenge to surmount. (Again, I'm thinking how in Soul Calibur II in one of the modes, how some stages will start out with your character poisoned and fighting against the clock on a slow drain of health).

I'm not in favor of Link getting a huge closet full of clothes, but a few weather and condition appropriate alternates in addition to the some of the things we've seen and some added necessity could bring some vareity to the gameplay.

Then, again, as said before, I'm also in favor of Link getting a green cowboy hat, blue jeans and a six-shooter on his hip - that is, if I and my fic co-writer are paid royalties.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I'd love it if they used the outfit that Adult Link in OoT used but change different aspects of it.
- Change the colour of the white lycra's he's wearing underneath, perhaps black?
- Make his hair dark brown again.
- Give him a wider variety of clothing, but without making it like an RPG such as Oblivion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom