• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link and Zelda's Relationship in Skyward Sword

It seems to me that Link and Zelda are closer to each other than they ever have been in any previous game. Do you think may actually be romantically involved for the first time? Maybe not so far as that but it seems that it's a lot like Ilia from Twilight Princess and Saria from Ocarina of Time.This is the first time Zelda's ever played a role like this. What do you guys think? Could this open up a lot more during the story or effect the timeline in any way?

Ganondork

goo
Well, so far we know whoever won a bird race goes on a date with Zelda. In the E3 Trailer, they seemed to have a bit of a connection, but who knows? Maybe they do. But I don't think Nintendo wants them to have a relationship in any game. Maybe they're close friends. I don't think their relationship as a "couple" or whatever your inferring is what keeps the story moving. I think Link is the kind of guy who would set off on this journey after her, even if he just met her.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
Well... the prize for winning the bird competition was a date with Zelda, if I remember correctly, so it's possible. If their relationship did take a romantic turn, it would add a more emotional motivation for the story, which could be interesting. We might see more of Link's thoughts and feelings through his actions if that is the case. I have nothing against it :)

As far as timeline... my personal belief is that Zelda will be made Hyrule's first princess by the end of the game. That would probably put Link in the spot of prince/king, and if some of the future Links are his descendants, they definitely weren't put in line for royalty when they were born for some reason.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's stated that they are childhood friends. I can see what people are saying about possible romance, but they just look like they're friends to me. Who knows, it may wind up being an Ilia kind of thing. But they're just friends as of now.

However, Link would have to become royalty if this were the case. And we all know Link is never royalty. But, they did that kind of thing in Spirit Tracks, so... (Usually I'm against Link x Zelda, but I guess this could be an acception, as with Tetra and ST Zelda.)

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
I don't want it to become a 'thing,' but seeing as how this is the first game in the supposed timeline (or before Ocarina of Time, anyway...), I would actually love to see a romance between Link and Zelda. Being a romantic at heart, I've... kind of been waiting for this since I first saw Link meet Zelda in Hyrule Castle Courtyard in Ocarina of Time so many years ago... I think it would add a whole 'nother element to the story - who doesn't love a good hero story where the brave swordsman must rescue his one true love?

Plus, in a few interviews (not with Nintendo officials - I think it was a G4 broadcaster maybe), they said the romance was driven pretty strongly at what they found out at E3, so yay. :)

But, like I said, I wouldn't want it to become a staple of the series - I just think it would be interesting to see happen if they got together. Because, theoretically, if they did get married or whatever, and had children, that would be the start of the Bloodline that almost every other Zelda game alludes to. Sweet. :D

Sorry guys I didn't really mean to force the "couple" thing so strongly. But just like MattWalker stated I've been wanting it for a long time as well and I might have gotten wrapped up in my own ideas. I meant the more traditional friendship couples such as Link and Saria in Ocarina of Time or Ilia from Twilight Princess, but it always seems to be implied that there is some sort of romantic connection between the two. What I really wanted to point out is that this is the first time Link and Zelda have ever had this type of relationship in the series and I would like to know what everyone else thinks of it. It's very interesting to me and I'm sure everyone else has noticed it as well. I love hearing people's thoughts about how it will develop (like mine of them actually being romantically involved) over the course of the story. Hope that helps!

In Minish Cap, it's pretty obvious that Link and Zelda are childhood friends, but I doubt that they are romantic. MC has Link and Zelda as children, so little chance of romance there. So, to answer your question, Link and Zelda were friends in MC, but I can't think of another example.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
If I remember correctly...

They kiss behind a curtain at the end of Adventure of Link. So they have been a couple before.

But if you mean a more close friends kind of thing, it seems more likely (and would be better, in my opinion), depending on how it's handled.

I mean, close friendship seems to be a better choice to me, because it's a tried and true kind of relationship on the series and it already shows signs of that. Zelda gives Link some very interesting looks throughout the trailer. So they are obviously close.

Still, romantic possibilities can't really be ruled out. Japanese storytelling seems to focus on young love as a common subject matter.

Maybe it could be more open-ended like in OOT.

Last edited:

Sgt. Backwash

JEALOUSY
If I remember correctly...

They kiss behind a curtain at the end of Adventure of Link. So they have been a couple before.
Additionally:
Zelda kisses Link at the end of the Oracle games.

I don't personally care about the romance, but I do think it's good to see Zelda have more of a significant connection to the other characters in the game. In some games, she feels like she was just thrown in despite her name being in the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom