• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kokiri Shield or Hylian Shield for Young Link?

Kokiri Shield or Hylian Shield?

• Kokiri Shield.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hylian Shield.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Okay, for those of that have played Ocarina of Time, and at least beaten Dodongo's Cavern, know that child Link can get both the wooden, small Kokiri child found near the start of the game for a little amount of rupees or the metal Hylian Shield.. The kokiri child puts perfectly on Link's back, and he can hold is shield in one hand while slashing away with his sword at the same time. The wooden shield could also be burnt when it came in contact with fire, forcing the player to either go with the Hylian Shield, no shield at all, or spending rupees to buy another Kokiri Shield.

But, we can also get the large, metal Hylian Shield for free (inside the Kakariko Graveyard), bought for a large amount of rupees, or bought for a lesser amount of rupees after getting a discount from a Hylian Guard. The Hylian Shield covers Link's entire back, and when used, Link crouches to the ground, being able to block frontal attacks, attacks from above, and even sometimes sneaky attacks from behind. Though, this shield couldn't be used at the same time as using the Kokiri Sword, which is a major drawback for some Ocarina of Time fans.

So, as Child Link in Ocarina of Time, Link can wear two shields in total: The Hylian Shield, and the Kokiri Shield, which shield did you prefer from the two, and why did you prefer that specific shield?

I myself prefered the Hylian Shield, mainly because getting it meant you got to keep it when you were an adult, and it was obviously superior for when you had to climb the mountain when the rocks were erupting from the volcano, becuase they were falling from above. I also prefered this because it didn't burn when Fire Keese or another source of fire came in contact with the shield. Another reason I like it better is because you can get this one free, as opposed to the Kokiri Shield, which can only be bought. Plus, I liked the overall design of the Hylian Shield, of course. It looked very great indeed, for me, it looked better than the Kokiri Shield. Those are the reasons I prefer the Hylian Shield to the Kokiri one in Ocarina of Time.

What about you guys?

EDIT: Don't forget, I'm not talking about the Hylian Shield in general, I mean, only as CHILD Link, no adult in this poll. Which of the shields do you prefer as CHILD Link.

Last edited:
H

Hero of Limes

I preferred the Hylian shield also for most of the reasons you said.I found it very useful for getting through Dodongo's Cavern.It's kind of like asking if you like the Master sword better than the Kokiri sword.Wouldn't everyone say Master sword?

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
I preferred the Hylian shield also for most of the reasons you said.I found it very useful for getting through Dodongo's Cavern.It's kind of like asking if you like the Master sword better than the Kokiri sword.Wouldn't everyone say Master sword?

Well, like I said, the Kokiri Shield could be used for pure sword fighters who wanted to block and then put in an attack, it was also pretty cheap, which most people might've liked, even though you could get the Hylian Shield for free, you could only get it for free once. Plus, the Hylian Shield could've got eaten as an adult, making the player use the Kokiri Shield or no shield. And, as you see, there is a vote on Kokiri Shield and possibly more than one as I am typing this.

zzRICHzz

own & finished all Zeldas
sorry guys but i gotta go with the Kokiri shield. it is definitely more vulnerable than the Hylian shield and it sucks when it gets burned off cuz you have to go buy another one. but i prefer to be able to move around the room while defending against attacks. and when it comes to style he really just looks better for the size that he is. i especially love the feel of the game while fighting with the Kokiri shield equipped since it allows for free movement while Z-targetting. which is another reason why i love the whole Z-targetting aspect of the game.

but to be honest, i actually prefer to play as both Adult Link and Young Link without the use of a shield. i love the way he looks better and it adds more difficulty to the game (which i am pretty sure other verteran gamers like myself can agree it is pretty easy after a while). so i usually jump at the opportunity to lose my sheild when i can.

but back on topic i choose the Kokiri shield over the Hylian.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
The kokiri shield. The wooden look was pretty cool, and the kokiri emblem goes great on the wooden look. The shield also fits young link. I just loved the design of the shield. As for use.. in death mountain you want the hylian shield so your deku/kokiri shield wont burn up. While defensively the hylian shield is beating kokiri, you can't do a thing while using it. For the ability to actualy stop your enemy by simply killing them, and being able to block attacks at the same time, I'll also go with kokiri for actual fighting, too.

I always have it both ways, in a sense.

To me, Child Link has a more "complete" look when he carries a Kokiri Shield. I can't explain why, but it just seems to look better on him. Because of that, I use the Kokiri Shield as much as I can while I'm Child Link, except for when I'm in Dodongo's Cavern. You have to be careful in that place, with all of the fire breathing dodongos and fire keeses. It's pretty hard to get through that place without the Kokiri Shield burning up, so I just wear the Hylian Shield the entire time I'm in there. Other than that, it's always the wooden shield for me.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I have to say both as well. As Ver-go-a-go-go said, he's got a more complete look with the Kokiri shield. It fits his size, and he looks great with it. It kind of makes him almost defenseless, and unassuming, like he's a kid playing 'Knights', but then he is able to hold his own surprisingly.

The Hylian shield is great as well though. I really enjoyed the fact that you wore it on your back and crouched to protect yourself. It was very amusing as well because it brought on an image of a kid wearing his dad's suit and tie to play dress up or something similar. He wanted to have the adult's shield, but it really didn't fit him.

Both were great images, and both had their pros and cons, so I really can't decide. I think I used the Hylian Shield more around fire, and switched back when it was needed for combat more. So, both had their uses. I don't think I can pick one over the other.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm going to have to go with both as well.
The Hylian Shield is great for going up Death Mountain, like you said, and it can't burn, but I find the Kokiri Shield to be more useful. It was much better with Projectiles, which I found better that the attacks form above. I mean, I'll pretty much always go get the Hylian Shield as soon as I can (with the discount), but if not it's not the end of the world. I'd gone half of Child Link without any shield before simply because my Kokiri was burned, and I couldn't be bothered to buy the Hylian.

I think its obviously more beneficial for Young Link to carry the Kokiri Shield. The Hylian Shield is too big, and he uses it like a shell (similar to Deku Link in MM). The Hylian Shield also doesn't reflect many necessary attacks, such as Deku Scrubs shooting nuts at you. The look of the Kokiri Shield is also much better for Link, as it is small and fits him as a normal shield would.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
The Hylian Shield had a small part in the child potion of the game. Plus, you don't even need it to scale the mountian considering you could go up it backwards(the rocks are programmed to land in front of you so going backwards... you get the point) and if your Deku Shield DOES burn, there's a chest with one in it in the Dodongo's Cavern. Besides, the fire keese are like the only fire enemies in the dungeon. The Hylian Shield is almost useless outside Death Mountian in the child portion of OoT.

S

Spooknanners

Hylian shield for me because I play rather defensive.

Isn't the main purpose of a shield to protect yourself? Does the Hylian shield perform that task? No. Therefore, I go with the Kokiri shield.

Although I prefer no shield at all in most Zelda games; if it Link has to have a shield, then it should be a handheld shield that fits him. In OoT, those are for me:

Young Link: Deku Shield
Blue Link: Hylian Shield
Red Link: Mirror Shield
Green Link: Hylian Shield (or none)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom