• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Just Noticed How Brilliantly This Game is Catered Towards Casuals.

Nintendo has always impressed me with how their games have easy controls, dating back to Mario on the NES. The reason that series is so popular is because it's easy AND fun. Nintendo has never been a "hardcore" developer at heart, so the idea that they're only now becoming casual kinda makes me laugh. After all, how many of you have parents whose only gaming experiences consist of Mario and Zelda? Many, I'm sure.

Anyhow, the topic at hand: I think the controls are a great way to cater towards casuals who feel modern gaming consoles have too many buttons or controls that are too complex. Think about it, most enemies move slowly enough and block enough that it isn't about quick reflexes, but rather about finding how to slash your sword. Anyone can do that, anyone can see where the openings are. You don't need to keep slashing constantly, but only slash once or twice while you have the chance.

Gamers can make fun of casuals all they want, but especially Nintendo gamers should know this: you've always been part of a casual experience and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Nintendo has never been a "hardcore" developer at heart, so the idea that they're only now becoming casual kinda makes me laugh. After all, how many of you have parents whose only gaming experiences consist of Mario and Zelda? Many, I'm sure.
What does what people's parents play have to do with casual gaming?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
My ears welcome this news. I'm a casual gamer at heart, because my mind zones out quite a bit while I'm focusing singly on the objective. But if I understand you right the gameplay is very straightforward, little or no gimmicks attached to it. Searching out an enemy's weakness shouldn't be too difficult. I rather enjoy trying out new strategies to bring them down. SS adversaries are a bit more tactical, though, so this will be very different...because I'm going to utilize the new uses on the motion controls and shoot arrows from afar or bowl bombs at them. :D

Z

zbygy9

I dunno, it's just Zelda. I don't really like slapping "casual" or "hardcore" on it. It's just zelda. It can be played by people who play games casually, and equally enjoyed by people who are experienced gamers. Same with Mario.

I love the controls. They add depth to the game but not at the expense of seeming complicated. There are really no barrier or hoops to jump through for people new to the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom