• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is There a Difference Between Hylian and Hyrulian?

W

Wii Guy 09

I read somewhere on the internet that Hylians were the people with pointy ears and stuff but Hyrulians were just people living in Hyrule. As far as I'm conserned, everyone in Hyrule has pointy ears. But that may not be true.

Hylian - Noun - A humanoid species with large, sharp ears. Often confused with humans. (Ordon, Terminians, Etc.)
Hylian - Adjective - Something regarding the Hylians (Noun).
Hyrule (1) - Noun - A land in the light world. (Not a planet or anything.)
Hyrule (2) - Noun - An established kingdom within the land of Hyrule (1).
Hyruleian - Noun/Adjective - Any species or tribe regarding to the culture of Hyrule (2).

That is basically how I see it.

Last edited:
EI, you're actually somewhat mistaken. Hylians are a race, yes. But they are a race of humans. Hylians as well as ordonians and other races have collectively been identified as humans (by a goron in particular).

Anyway.

The terms Hylian and Hyrulian are actually both at least somewhat canonical. They've been interchanged before I believe. Ultimately, as the term hylian means the pointy-eared race, the adjective hylian implies relating to the race. Since the country is Hyrule, the adjective hyrulian would probably apply to thing relating to the country or land. :)

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
Like others have stated, Hylians are a race of humans while Hyrulians are inhabitants of Hyrule. The Gorons, Zoras, Kokiris, Sheikah, Twili, Oocca, and of course the Hylians are all Hyrulians (As long as they live in Hyrule, that is). For example, if Link lived permanently in Termina, he would not be a Hyrulian, but he would still be a Hylian because of his physical appearance.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well I use the terms interchangeably, so I don't really see a difference between them. Like I tend to Hylian Geography, but Hyrulian Politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom