• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Master Sword Zonai made?

Next Zelda game setting, assuming all options will have the same quality of game?

• Same map, and Link. There's more to this story that needs to be told. A part 3.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Same map, totally different Link. The world is great, but it needs an entierly new story.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Different map, same Link. There's more to this world, but central Hyrule is tapped out.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Different everything. Start fresh.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • We've reached perfection. No more games ever! And, yes, I am a troll.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Not mot much to go in depth about here, to start. It's entirely based on how the sword reacts to the Zoni fusion ability. When fusing items into the Master Sword, the item is absorbed; not just visually, but Pelison can't find anything to pull apart. Then there's the runes that appear on the blade.

Image link for reference:
does-anyone-know-what-it-says-on-the-master-sword-v0-ums8d50r426b1.jpg

As an aside, the reddit does ask a good question, as well. Do we know what the glowing runes say?

At first, I would say no because of the events of Skyward Sword, but Skyward Sword only shows the transformation of the Goddess Sword turning into the Master Sword, we still don't know who exactly created the Goddess Sword as far as I'm aware, and the Zonai could very well just be an interaction with the Master Sword as the same with malice. But it's still kind of weird that the master sword is even able to be corrupted like this, it's got dull in the past, but it's never been corrupted until Breath of the Wild. Another theory is that this could be a different Master Sword.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think the Master Sword was made by the Zonai, since the Zonai were never referenced in Skyward Sword and we see the Goddess Sword transition into the Master Sword there with zero Zonai involvement.

As for the next game? I go wherever there's a good story, but I would like the franchise to stay in one time period for a bit. TotK was a bit crap as a sequel story, so it'd be nice to see a proper follow-up to BotW before dropping the setting and resetting everything to status quo.

Last edited:
am I a troll?
maybe
would I rather zelda ended than get another stab in the heart?
definitely
I was referring to the perfection part. There's always room for improvement. But, as you said, there's also room to make it worse.

I don't think the Master Sword was made by the Zonai, since the Zonai were never referenced in Skyward Sword
A lot of the ancient technology in Skyward Sword looks a lot like Zoni tech.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I was referring to the perfection part. There's always room for improvement. But, as you said, there's also room to make it worse.

A lot of the ancient technology in Skyward Sword looks a lot like Zoni tech.
It does, but the Zonai are totally absent. SS allegedly takes place during a period where the Zonai would be active, but they're all hiding just off screen. There are plenty of other ancient dead civilizations that the technology could also belong to.

At first, I would say no because of the events of Skyward Sword, but Skyward Sword only shows the transformation of the Goddess Sword turning into the Master Sword, we still don't know who exactly created the Goddess Sword as far as I'm aware, and the Zonai could very well just be an interaction with the Master Sword as the same with malice. But it's still kind of weird that the master sword is even able to be corrupted like this, it's got dull in the past, but it's never been corrupted until Breath of the Wild. Another theory is that this could be a different Master Sword.
We know that Hylia had a part in creating it; it's also implied that the Ancient Sages had a part in it(you can see their Medallions on the ground in the sealed temple, and the backstory of other games mention the MS(which is the evolved form of the GS) having the sages help create it). The Zonai runes aren't a natural part of the MS; the writing only seems to appear when using Fuse, which is a Zonai ability. So I'm leaning towards no in regards to the question of the OP.

I'm also pretty sure that the Zonai only desend between Zelda 2 and TotK's backstory, anyway, as I've become a refounding guy, and that seems to be the closest to the truth, as it was mentioned by Hidemaro as a possibility. It's possible they descended other times before King Rauru (re)founds Hyrule Kingdom, though.

It does, but the Zonai are totally absent. SS allegedly takes place during a period where the Zonai would be active, but they're all hiding just off screen. There are plenty of other ancient dead civilizations that the technology could also belong to.
As I see it, the Zoni have already "vanished" by the present time of SS. I also still think they became the Minish, which is why they "vanished." They are as off screen as the Minish are in every game other than MC.

The Zonai runes aren't a natural part of the MS; the writing only seems to appear when using Fuse, which is a Zonai ability.
Though, we don't see the runes, or the item absorption, on any other weapon; telling me that it is more related to the Master Sword reacting to the Zoni ability, not the ability reacting to the Master Sword.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It could be Zonai made if we subscribe to a theory that Hylia was a Zonai. I'd say she probably wasn't though if all depictions of her are taken literally.

Skyward Sword does state Hylia made the Goddess Sword.

I think its reaction to zonai fusing can just be chalked up similarly to the Master Sword's reaction to harnessing Sols in the Twilight Realm. The sword is very adaptable somehow, but that doesn't mean anytime it reacts to something it's doing so because the sword was created by the group that made whatever it's reacting to.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
As I see it, the Zoni have already "vanished" by the present time of SS. I also still think they became the Minish, which is why they "vanished." They are as off screen as the Minish are in every game other than MC.
But that would contradict the continuity of TotK indicating that Rauru was allegedly the first king of Hyrule and very much not a Minish. I'm also... not sold on the idea that the Zonai went from towering goat people to microscopic Minish that just really don't look anything like them.

But that would contradict the continuity of TotK indicating that Rauru was allegedly the first king of Hyrule and very much not a Minish. I'm also... not sold on the idea that the Zonai went from towering goat people to microscopic Minish that just really don't look anything like them.
Firstly, Rauru wouldn't be calling himself Minish, or Picori, and neither would anyone else. They would be known as Zoni, at the time, and seeing as Rauru remained while the others had vanished, the others calling themselves something different wouldn't change anything. They wouldn't have made a reemergence as the Minish until the Hero of Men.

Secondly, and more importantly to the discussion, no mater how late you place Rauru's reign, it doesn't make the possibility of Zoni involvement before Skyward Sword any less likely. There's still evidence of their technology in SS, and architecture in MC.

It could be Zonai made if we subscribe to a theory that Hylia was a Zonai. I'd say she probably wasn't though if all depictions of her are taken literally.

Skyward Sword does state Hylia made the Goddess Sword.

I think its reaction to zonai fusing can just be chalked up similarly to the Master Sword's reaction to harnessing Sols in the Twilight Realm. The sword is very adaptable somehow, but that doesn't mean anytime it reacts to something it's doing so because the sword was created by the group that made whatever it's reacting to.
That is the issue with the idea. We don't have much to go on to really support it. I really hope they don't turn Hylia into a Zoni. And, there is also the theory that the Twili were Zoni, which would make the sword's powers in TP Zoni designed abilities.

I actually hope we don't get a solid answer on what technology/magic went into the blade. Knowing for sure would not only reduce the possibles for later stories, but would kill the mystery.

Firstly, Rauru wouldn't be calling himself Minish, or Picori, and neither would anyone else. They would be known as Zoni, at the time, and seeing as Rauru remained while the others had vanished, the others calling themselves something different wouldn't change anything. They wouldn't have made a reemergence as the Minish until the Hero of Men.

Secondly, and more importantly to the discussion, no mater how late you place Rauru's reign, it doesn't make the possibility of Zoni involvement before Skyward Sword any less likely. There's still evidence of their technology in SS, and architecture in MC.

That is the issue with the idea. We don't have much to go on to really support it. I really hope they don't turn Hylia into a Zoni. And, there is also the theory that the Twili were Zoni, which would make the sword's powers in TP Zoni designed abilities.

I actually hope we don't get a solid answer on what technology/magic went into the blade. Knowing for sure would not only reduce the possibles for later stories, but would kill the mystery.
The problem I see with the Zonai being Minish is, due to the fact that even though we don't exactly know how long it is, between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap, but they are next to each other in the Timeline.

But then again, the Rito tribe evolved from Zoras in just 100 years.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

The big evidence that the technology isn't Zonai is that the Zonai aren't there. TotK, in its infinite wisdom, established that the Zonai were active immediately around the end of Skyward Sword and the beginning of the Hyrule, so there's no reason they shouldn't also be active during the events of the game. We don't see a single member of their species during SS and there's no reason to believe they magically transitioned into another like the Zora did.

I'm not a big fan of the Zora just dropping their gills and turning into an entirely different species, but at least Wind Waker established that it did happen by showing that Medli was a blood descendant of a Zoran sage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom