• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Is Majora the Devil

M

majorasmask

ive seen a lot of villains in zelda but majora i think is the most twisted maybe even a devil:devil: so what do u think he is the devil and if you think he is not who is?

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Majoria may be a twist and evil, but I'm sure that Nintendo does not want to bring religion into Zelda games. Jeez, even if Nintendo wanted to bring religion into zelda, wouldn't they just give him horns, a trident, and a tail and call him the devil? Wait:facepalm: his name is Ganondorf. (Think of Four Swords, and beast ganon)

Short answer- Ganondorf is more likely to be a devil than Majoria

Goro-Link

I am all of me.
No. religion should not be in zelda games. (its law. not just for zelda) personally i think he was the leader of the twili before they were banished (play MM then TP in that order)

M

majorasmask

i dont know he isnt really the devil he is more of the king of evil he may be the main enemy but he isnt really evil enough to be the devil because he wasnt born to destroy people he was born to be the king of the gerudo.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I've theorized a lot on this subject, even wrote a bit of an article for fun on in, but in a nutshell my ideas are that Majora is a demon, not a devil. What's the difference? It's mostly a connotative difference. Devils are the extreme opponents of the divine, it's not necessarily a religious connotation as we know it, but still, Majora doesn't seem like the direct antagonist of whatever divine forces govern Termina. Majora is more like a powerful entity that craves destruction or chaos for the fun of it, which is a connotation I associate more with demons.

I'm sure that Nintendo does not want to bring religion into Zelda games
Actually, and just pointing this out, they did in some of the earlier games. ALttP has official art of Link praying in front of a hanging cross in a church-like building, but that's beside the point. Nintendo stopped with religious references after that, so MM shouldn't have any direct references to real life religions.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Devil- no
Demon- yes

But even then I don't really think of Majora as 'evil' per se, it's more like insanity, or even a child-like naughtiness in a way.

David

But you called me here...
Majora is extremely powerful, but he isn't a devil. He is more of a demon.

Kybyrian

I think that for the most part people are smart enough to avoid religion in their video games, especially if it includes putting religion into a big part. Majora wasn't intended to the be the devil, but was intended to be a demon. The demon was within the mask, and that's why it was called Majora's Mask. Nothing to do with the devil, just a demon.

Short answer- Ganondorf is more likely to be a devil than Majoria

As much as I support Ganondorf, I would say the same. In the older games Ganon was referred to as the "Prince of Darkness", which is also another term used for the devil. Majora was definitely a twisted demon of some sort, but I highly doubt that it was the devil. Nintendo did have some religion-based stuff in the older games, but as Majora's Mask being a somewhat newer game, I don't think that is how they meant to portray it. Many of the non-humanoid foes in the series seem to resemble demons, but it does not indicate that they are necessarily the devil.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
No, if you are referring to the devil represented in nearly every human religion/culture/faith world-wide having horns and red skin and being ruler of Hell. However, if you think of the Devil as a conscienceness within all people that gives any person the ability to be evil, then yes it is perfectly capable. Think of it this way, according to Sigmund Freud psychopaths are people who's pysche's are being dominated by their ID (which is basically represented by the little devil sitting on your shoulder that you see in cartoons). If you look at it that way, then it's possible that Majora is a Devil purely because he is a being being driven purely on wrath, destruction and causing suffering to others.

The obvious flaw to my little theory is that this can be applied to any video game antagonist who is pure evil, but hell, that's what these theories are for!

but I'm sure that Nintendo does not want to bring religion into Zelda games.

When you say "Nintendo does not want to bring religion into Zelda games." Do you mean that Nintendo does not want to bring christianity into Zelda games, because I mean there are already several references to religion in the games. Heck, they've even created their own religion for the games with the Godesses and the Triforce. I think aslong as they keep out the bad things that religion creates such as segregation, racism and fanaticism then it's fine to include religion into the games.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
When you say "Nintendo does not want to bring religion into Zelda games." Do you mean that Nintendo does not want to bring christianity into Zelda games, because I mean there are already several references to religion in the games. Heck, they've even created their own religion for the games with the Godesses and the Triforce. I think aslong as they keep out the bad things that religion creates such as segregation, racism and fanaticism then it's fine to include religion into the games.

This is exactly what I was going to say. As long as Nintendo doesn't all of a sudden have a nation built around Christianity or any other real world religion. They'd be practically begging people to get pissed doing that. Their self-created religions are great, though. I think it adds depth to the societies.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well there are many villains in Zelda, and I don't get why you pick Majora to be the devil. Ganondorf has more chances of being the devil, IMO because of his pig appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom