• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is It Really the Best Zelda Game Ever?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Right there you have my answer. If OoT wasn't the best game, why did Nintendo chose to remake only that one? Because they are making sure OoT isn't forgotten, for it deserves more than that, it deserves to be remembered for what it is, the best game ever.
They're remaking FS and LA as well, and possibly MM.

OoT's graphics were also breathtaking for its time. Later people will also say, TP's graphics were breathless, for its time. OoT was the peak of game industry when it came out. I'm not saying other games haven't created better graphics and stuff, I'm just saying that OoT has been the only one that has become perfection in its time. It's the only one that reached a height no other game has reached.
One word, my friend: Mario. The only more popular video game character than Link.

I do not deny that SS doesn't look frigging amazing, and that it might come bigger than OoT. But for now, and for the entire past decade, OoT has been Number 1.
SS DOES look awesome, but this is all just personal favors and experiences. It's different for each person.

Infernape

WASABI! (" L,")
I honestly dont think OOT is the best zelda game of all time. i wouldnt even put it in the 3 best zelda games bracket. :)

umm. Erebea who's the dude......?

They're remaking FS and LA as well, and possibly MM.
umm no there not FS is a re-release just multi-player, o.k. maby ill give you that one. LA um no, if your talking about it being avalible on eshop that already happended not a remake. mm thats just project moonfall i am totally against it, nothing even said by nintendo about it (probably never going to happen) :)

Last edited:

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
I did my research, 3 games sold more than oot JUST on the N64
Super Mario 64 (11.62 million)
Mario Kart 64 (9 million)
GoldenEye 007 (8 million)
With oot coming in 4th.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (7.6 million)
As I said that is just the list for the N64, all the games that I saw for the Wii sold much more than OoT. I looked at the list of the best video games, yes OoT up there. But guess who beat it? Call of Duty. Call of Duty 4 beat OoT on several of the gaming lists I saw, which I was actually REALLY surprised about. Now don't think I'm a big cod nerd D: I am just pointing out that other game series can in fact beat oot. For example Half-life 2, and Tetris were 2 other series rated above oot. Also with Resident Evil, Halo, and Mario. All were rated above OoT.
All these surveys clearly show that OoT is not considered that good anymore. For example the cod games are based TOTALLY off of gameplay, no story what-so-ever. And yet it beats Zelda, because it is so danged addictive. OoT's story isn't that good, although better than cod, and is not as addictive as the modern games. Which is something modern games usually need to have to be successful. I am not saying OoT is a bad game. I am saying that it is horribly out-dated. And it is not the best game in the world anymore.
I did not even bring all my points to hand, I could've brought TP into this. A game that is clearly better than OoT, and sold just as many copies as it. But I'm only gonna do that if necessary. I really hope you understand my points.

Right there you have my answer. If OoT wasn't the best game, why did Nintendo chose to remake only that one? Because they are making sure OoT isn't forgotten, for it deserves more than that, it deserves to be remembered for what it is, the best game ever.
OoT has the least coding of all the 3D games, so it would be most logical to do it before any others. I mean, do you even know how much work that was?
1: Recoding the controls.
2: Recoding dialog.
3: Recoding the graphics.
4: Recoding the camera.
5: Recoding the HUD.

Basically, they had to make the entire game over again. OoT has less coding to it than MM, WW, or TP. It makes perfect sense to do that one rather than any others. Cut down the needed work as much as possible. Also, "Twilight Princess" is only about five years old, but "Ocarina of Time" is over twelve years old. This makes your remake argument ill conceived. Games are rarely remade less then ten years after the initial release.

OoT's graphics were also breathtaking for its time. Later people will also say, TP's graphics were breathless, for its time. OoT was the peak of game industry when it came out. I'm not saying other games haven't created better graphics and stuff, I'm just saying that OoT has been the only one that has become perfection in its time. It's the only one that reached a height no other game has reached.
That's "Final Fantasy VII" you're thinking of. It was far more breathtaking than OoT.

Big Octo

=^)
You're still not realizing that it used the best if the N64's abilities. The reason why everyone says it it's the best is because it is the perfect combination of all aspects.

What is your favorite Zelda anyway?

L

lucasnator

i can not really say much since ive only played ocarina of time, majoras mask, and the minish cap. but i would say that it is the best.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
OoT may not be the best Zelda in your opinion, but to the grand majority it obviously is.

By calling this argument ridiculous, stupid, idiotic, whatever else you want to say, you're just showing that you are afraid. By calling us fanboys, you're showing that you can't argue correctly (although we ARE fanboys, majority of the ones who say OoT is the best). There weren't any real hiccups in the game at all. I mean, a couple of glitches were so good, Nintendo purposefully left them in OoT3D!

I'll use the high end aggregate reviewer - Metacritic(you know, the site that actually 'matters') and also IGN as another people's opinion:

Metacritic OoT: 99/100
Metacritic TWW: 96/100
Metacritic TPWii: 95/100

IGN OoT: 10/10
IGN TWW: 9.6/10
IGN TPWii: 9.5/10

Based on those reviews, is OoT NOT the best scoring out of those 3D titles? I believe not. You just can't argue with things that are set in stone, can you?
They're porting LADX and FS to the Virtual Console/DSiware services xD

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Okay. Got it. One part of my post seems to not be extremely truthful... sorry, and thanks to those who helped us clear that up.
Anyway, OoT was a classic because it was the first 3D Zelda game, it's instrumental in the timeline (the basis of the split-timeline-not-a-theory) and it had top-of-the liine graphocs of it's time. At the time, it may have been known as the best Zelda game yet.
But, by today, it has lost its title to TP, WW, etc. Why? Because they're newer, have better graphics, and a better storyline. The characters have more feeling. They have more of what makes a vido game a good one.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If indeed it is an opinion (it IS), why are you arguing against it? TWW and TP are both extremely popular, highly rated, and (somewhat) loved by many people yet it STILL cannot beat OoT. Shigeru Miyamoto even said that SS has to beat Ocarina of Time, he didn't say it has to beat TWW or TP! That comes from the Director/Producer of the Zelda games themselves!

Best ever can be objective fact - take the example of two horses where they both run at the same speed, same general endurance, etc but one of them is missing a leg (has 3 legs instead of 4) so it has to limp occasionally. Which one is better? The one with 4 legs. Objective fact, simple. You would say that the 3/4 legged horse is better because of sympathy, what ifs, and more, but it's clear that the horse with 4 legs is better than the horse with 3 legs. Cross that over to OoT vs TP/TWW, and what do you end up with? OoT winning simply because it has 4 legs in the form of better reviews, whereas TWW/TP has 3 legs with less than better reviews. OoT wins.

Or, if that doesn't make sense - imagine there is a human and a robot designed to work better than the human. The human cooks, cleans, goes work in a patent office and makes the most efficient work in everything he does. The robot comes in and cooks, cleans, and goes to work in the same patent office but he works so much harder than the human that he short circuits. Do you see where I'm coming from? TWW and TP just tried too hard, and in that they didn't do so well.

Objectively, 99 is a higher number than 96 or 95. Or, it is in the area I live in at least.

Last edited:
OoT has the least coding of all the 3D games, so it would be most logical to do it before any others. I mean, do you even know how much work that was?
1: Recoding the controls.
2: Recoding dialog.
3: Recoding the graphics.
4: Recoding the camera.
5: Recoding the HUD.

Basically, they had to make the entire game over again. OoT has less coding to it than MM, WW, or TP. It makes perfect sense to do that one rather than any others. Cut down the needed work as much as possible. Also, "Twilight Princess" is only about five years old, but "Ocarina of Time" is over twelve years old. This makes your remake argument ill conceived. Games are rarely remade less then ten years after the initial release.

I'm sorry but they didn't remake OoT just because it had simple coding, that's ridiculous. OoT is obviously the most popular and that is why they remade it. Look at even TWW and TP, TWW has OoT as it's back story and references to it in game (the stained glass windows in the castle for instance). TP is one giant reference to OoT and it was obviously a spiritual remake of it. Heck SS is a prequel and will probably have a lot more references to it. No other Zelda games get that kind of treatment except for maybe ALttP but that one not as much.
OoT was a breathtaking game, it was pretty damn close to perfection as any game I have ever played. I say that not as a fanboy, I love the other Zelda's too and sometimes I put games like Final Fantasy IX first on my list of favorites depending on my mood as well, but OoT was definitely special. I remember when it came out and it was THE game. Sure it's all based on opinion but few games have held up this long or had two remakes (MQ and 3D). Not even FFVII.
If one doesn't see OoT as great as me or someone else, that's just fine there is no way there will ever be a consensus top video game but OoT has come close.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I was thinking... and Erebrea is right. Best ever is an opinion, and there is no use arguing opinions on something this silly. I rest my case, will post as many mroe times as Erebrea, and unsubscribe from this thread.

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
OoT will never be a top game in my mind. It is the 3rd best Zelda game to me, behind TP and WW. Both of those games were easily better than OoT. And I would like one of you OoT fans to point out 3 things from OoT that is better than it is in WW or TP. Because I quite frankly do not see anything besides the difficulty.

OoT will never be a top game in my mind. It is the 3rd best Zelda game to me, behind TP and WW. Both of those games were easily better than OoT. And I would like one of you OoT fans to point out 3 things from OoT that is better than it is in WW or TP. Because I quite frankly do not see anything besides the difficulty.

In my opinion?

It had a much better atmosphere.
A better plot.
Better secondary characters (Malon, Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Zelda/Sheik, even Mido etc etc the list goes on)
A masterpiece of a control scheme, all later 3D titles mimic this control scheme, OoT started it and it still runs so smooth today.

Just a few of the reasons, keep in mind this is an opinion and I love TWW and TP a lot.

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
In my opinion?

It had a much better atmosphere.
A better plot.
Better secondary characters (Malon, Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Zelda/Sheik, even Mido etc etc the list goes on)
A masterpiece of a control scheme, all later 3D titles mimic this control scheme, OoT started it and it still runs so smooth today.

Just a few of the reasons, keep in mind this is an opinion and I love TWW and TP a lot.
We all have opinions, I agree with you on the control scheme part. But I think that the atmosphere in TP was better than the one in OoT. And the secondary characters in both TP and WW are very deep. I love the progression of Midna and Ilia in TP. But as I said, we all have opinions, mine is that OoT is not the best Zelda game. I think I may be done with this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom