• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Interesting Christmas Traditions

Do you have any interesting Christmas traditions? If so what are they? As for me, instead of my mom reading the regular Night Before Christmas, she used to read my brother and I the Cajun Night Before Christmas, where Santa uses alligators instead of reindeer. Also, starting the day after Thanksgiving, I watch 1 Christmas movie I own a night in order of run time, I always end with It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas eve.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Well every year my family watches Muppet Christmas carol on Thanksgiving after the meal to kick off the Christmas season, then that same day one of my sisters reads the story The Christmas Heretic, only I don't listen cause usually I'm doing something else, then on Christmas Eve the family gathers around the table and we read the story of Jesus's birth. And then Christmas Morning, we gather around the Christmas Tree and do PRESENTS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
My grandmother usually just gets pissed off at my troll of an uncle and starts getting snippy with everyone.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
My family doesn't have a lot of Christmas Traditions, but one of the things that we must do every year is watchMerry Christmas, Charlie Brown. I love that movie so much, so it's technically a tradition for my family to watch it.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The Pikachu on the tree.

Well, Bob and I haven't had the tree up for a few years now, just because we didn't want to drag it out of storage and bother putting it up, also because having a tree with no presents under it is kind of... sad. This year, things are a bit better for us, so he got out the tree yesterday. The tree is something he scavanged from a toy-store he used to work for, as well as some Pokemon figures/ornaments. So... every time we've had the tree up, there's Pikachu.

This year, all we had was him, a star, and some glass ball ornaments... Bob asked me if I had any Zelda stuff I wanted to put on the tree (all I have as far as Zelda figurines are Toon Link and Tetra gaspon figures), but the suggestion made me think "Hey, I've got some Lord of the Rings figures I haven't put on display in a while! And there's my small Trigun figures!" --- The two of us got out our collectables, some fishing line and paperclips and now we have a Geekmas Tree. Vash and Wolfwood are drawing their guns/the cross-punisher... Link and Tetra are chillin' (and we stuck my Link plushie up in the branches), Raka from Haibane Renmei is not the tree-top angel, becuase we had a star, but his close... there's a Lego Optimus Prime, the Tick holding a spoon from our kitchen, all while Sam and Frodo try to keep Gollum from getting his hands on the One Ring...

Maybe the Geekmas Tree will become a new tradition. It all started with the traditional Pikachu.

We also have a New Year's Tradition of having a Chinese-food feast on New Year's Eve, which is not anything my family has ever done, but has been passed down in Bob's family. We discovered a new, really good place this year, so we plan to order from there.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Pretty much my whole country has a weird Christmas tradition - because one of our most beloved Christmas movies has nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever, nor is it relevant to our country or culture. We celebrate Christmas on the 24th, and during the pre-noon hours (and a little bit after noon as well) there's a string of Christmas tradition programs that never changes. Some of it makes sense, like the Disney Christmas cartoons (one of the first things on the programme) and a Norwegian Christmas movie called "Reisen til julestjernen" (journey to the Christmas star"), but smack in the middle of it we have a Czeck movie (dubbed to Norwegian by one man doing all the voices - very few things over here gets dubbed - and you hear all the original voices underneath the dub) from the 70s about a pretty kick-*** Cinderella, lol. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever, except the fact that it's shown on Christmas Eve as part of the Christmas programme every single year - and has just become heavily associated with Christmas for a lot of us... lol

[video=youtube;HUMCqHbhq8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMCqHbhq8k[/video]

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, I wouldn't say that it's a Christmas TRADITION, because I do it in different ways each year, but It's tradition FOR ME to always end up associating one of the games I get, with the Holidays. Not only that, but I also feel like I can only play them around that time of year, because it brings back the memories. Though, some of them I have played out of season, such as DDR Extreme, and Amplitude. But for the majority of the time, Once I associate them with Christmas, they stay there. Games such as Kirby's Epic Yarn, Loco Roco, and even Angry Birds are examples :lol:

Though, if I DO play those ones out of season, as I play them, I feel like it IS Christmas...

Though as for ACTUAL Tradition, that our Family has done.... well, when I was little, it was Tradition to have the Tree downstairs, and all day we would just sit around and watch all the original claymation movies, like "The Year Without A Santa Claus" and "Roudalph" ...and of course the original Grinch and Horton Hears a Who VHS that we played a lot. OH, and I also had this VHS called "Spot's Magical Christmas" that I'd watch a whole lot. And I remember, on the coffee table, we had a plastic snowman that would light up various colors, and I would watch it while watching those claymation ones.

Though, most of our Traditions were pretty normal :/

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I have a few Christmas traditions in my family:
-We always watch A Charlie Brown Christmas together sometime during the holiday season.
-When I was younger, we were always allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve.
-Every year, my family makes a special English pudding which was a recipe handed down by my great grandmother.
-We celebrated Christmas Day with my father's side of the family. My aunts, uncles, and cousins would all go to my grandparent's house where we would have a meal together, then chat, play board games, etc.
-I'm Ukrainian, so I also celebrate Ukrainian Christmas on January 7th. For that, we celebrate it with my mother's side of the family. We would always do a type of gift exchange where everyone would buy a random gift, and when it was your turn, you could pick a new gift from the pile, or "steal" what someone else had opened.

I think that's it. :P

onebizarrekai

gay energy
My family has a very special tradition where we bake all sorts of delicious treats and bring them to people/places that have to work on Christmas. It feels very nice to do service :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom