• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Info That May Suggest Where the Four Swords Trilogy Fits in the Timeline....

jamezrockz98

Link rockz like me. Yay!!
I have been recently trying to look at possible outcomes of where the Four Swords Trilogy fits into the zelda timeline. I found a bit of info that may suggest where it could think in the timeline. This bit of info is the story of Minish Cap taken from the Zelda dungeon Minish Cap page

Long, long ago, evil spirits descended on the land of Hyrule. Just when it seemed that the world was to be cast into the darkest of shadows, the tiny Picori appeared from the skies and bestowed on a courageous human a shining gold light and a single sword. This bravest of men used his wisdom and courage, his golden light, and his sword to fight off the demons and restore peace to the world.
The people were so grateful for the Picori's help that they held an annual celebration in their honor. The tradition of the Picori Festival continued, but over the generations, the Picori themselves passed into legend.
The legend of the Picori tells of a mystic doorway that opens just once every hundred years. When the door is open, the Picori can cross from their world into Hyrule. This year is that year in one hundred, and the festival is unusually grand. Hyrule Castle is hosting a tournament of sword fighting skill, recalling the great battles of legend.
This year's champion is a man by the name of Vaati. He has won the tournament with an almost magical ease, and all of Hyrule is abuzz with rumors about this shadowy figure. "Who is this Vaati?" they ask. "What has brought him to Hyrule."

I want to point out some things that are helpful in this that may be a possible outcome that the Four Swords Trilogy comes after Skyward Sword and before Ocarina of Time.

Long, long ago, evil spirits descended on the land of Hyrule. This could be talking about the villain Ghirahim in Skyward Sword who in the game is ruler of the land below (Hyrule)

The tiny Picori appeared from the skies bestowed on a courageous human a shining gold light and a single sword. The tiny Picori that's mentioned could be the Link from Skyward Sword as he did live in Skyloft and went to the land below. He had the Skyward Sword with him at this point.

There are only 2 points but, it should be enough to suggest that the Four Swords Trilogy could indeed come after Skyward Sword. What do you guys think? Does this work or did I miss out on anything?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Though I agree with the sentiment, there is something else to consider when placing MC there:

MC, FS, FSA, and then LttP, these games use the 'golden power' to describe the legends they speak. Only when you reach the Dark World in LttP is the Triforce spoken by name. This says to me that the legend of the Triforce, and the legend of the 3 Goddesses, are not as well known and definitely not spoken on that line (again, until halfway through LttP). Whether or not you want to put the FSS before LttP, the gradual buildup on that point works in its favour.

Of course this would also mean OoT isn't on that timeline, since FSA would come before LttP due to the progression that was clearly intended. During development FSA was supposed to be the Knights of Hyrule legend that they talk about in LttP, and a lot of that intention still carries over, even if at some point the direct connection was dropped. So that would put LttP before OoT and we know that not to be the case for the millions of inconsistencies that would arise.

This has long since led me to believe there will be some split before the events in Ocarina of Time that leads to the classic games in the series.

There are still some inconsistencies between these ideas I'm sure. But taking games and interviews into account, this makes sense to me, and suggests interviews thought retconned, don't need to be retconned.

Its all food for thought, if nothing else! ;)

U

UrukHai659

Yes, the Four Sword Saga comes after Skyward Sword. Why? Because Nintendo has confirmed that Skyward Sword is the first game in the timeline. Every game comes after Skyward Sword. It's just a question of where. This theory doesn't address that. Now I do personally believe Minish Cap comes right after just because of how much it talks about the Sky People. But, until we can figure out how much time comes between games, we'll never be able to figure out where the other two games come in exactly

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The TINY Picori. Link doesn't look very tiny in Skyward Sword, but that's just me. Maybe I'm blind. Maybe the birds are really the size of pigeons.

Also, the Master Sword/Skyward Sword is NOT the 4 Sword in any future of the timeline. If it were true, as Satsy said, the 4 Swords Saga comes prior to ALttP (or at least the end of it). Either way, The 4 Sword would have to inexplicably go back to being the Master Sword in time for ALttP. Also, some of us (like me) put TMC as the first Zelda game (not including Skyward Sword) in the timeline. The Master Sword becoming the 4 Sword... cannot happen. If it were so, it would have to go back to being the Master Sword for OoT, go BACK to being the 4 Sword for 4SA, and then go back AGAIN to being the Master Sword for ALttP.

But yeah, everything comes after SS at this point. Your theory is simply stating the already obvious. In Skyward Sword, Hyrule is in no way colonized, and is merely a chaotic land below Skyloft. In TMC, the confirmed first game of the 4 Swords saga, Hyrule has a town, citizens, a Royal Family, and basically establishes itself as the kingdom it is not in SS.

MC, FS, FSA, and then LttP, these games use the 'golden power' to describe the legends they speak. Only when you reach the Dark World in LttP is the Triforce spoken by name. This says to me that the legend of the Triforce, and the legend of the 3 Goddesses, are not as well known and definitely not spoken on that line (again, until halfway through LttP). Whether or not you want to put the FSS before LttP, the gradual buildup on that point works in its favour.
LttP was edited like mad for international release. It was originally called "Triforce of the Gods" and Agahnim was a priest in the Japanese version. The foreign branches of Nintendo wanted to avoid religious references at the time for some stupid reason. I'm not sure if the Japanese version made any reference to any deities.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
LttP was edited like mad for international release. It was originally called "Triforce of the Gods" and Agahnim was a priest in the Japanese version. The foreign branches of Nintendo wanted to avoid religious references at the time for some stupid reason. I'm not sure if the Japanese version made any reference to any deities.

NoA always does this. In the original LoZ, Christianity was prevalent throughout the game, since it was set in medieval time, and they wanted it to be semi-realistic and so they tried to make the dominant religion of the time Christianity. Evidence is everywhere. The shields had crosses on them, Ganon was supposed to be a stand-in for Apollyon/Abaddon/Satan, the book of spells was called the Bible (because they wanted to imitate Elijah and call down fire from Heaven (as best they could with NES graphics)) when you used the magic wand, but just imagine how people like Westboro Baptist Church would react to such a thing. Plus, the Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, and everyone else wouldn't enjoy it either because they'd think NoA were trying to push our (yes, I am a Christian) religion on them through video gaming, similar to what C. S. Lewis did with Narnia, and Phillip Pullman with His Dark Materials.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I agree with ganonking, we must remember that, the helmaroc king and phantom ganon are in four swords adventures, and that moblins are in the minish cap, not to mention GORMAN, who is a terminian originally, I'm sure if I thought hard enough I could point out countless anachronism within the trilogy (excluding the original four swords as I haven't had the pleasure of playing it yet) I really don't think they bare any relevance to the story of the series, or if they do, it's too early to tell.
Also, I'm aware tingle was originally a Terminian, too, and embarrassingly, I don't really have an answer for this maybe they really are connected, purely by Tingle's inter-dimensional travels...:lol:

So here's what I think. I think that on the child timeline, the Master Sword somehow becomes lost, or people forgot about it. This is after ALttP. So I think that this starts a new part of the timeline that is without the Master Sword. So it would go like this:

.........../WW-PH-ST
SS--OoT
...........\MM--TP--ALttP-LA-OoX--MC--FS-FSA--LoZ-AoL

That's just my thoughts, though.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
The TINY Picori. Link doesn't look very tiny in Skyward Sword, but that's just me. Maybe I'm blind. Maybe the birds are really the size of pigeons.

The tiny Picori brought the Hero of Men a sword. Nobody said the Hero was a Picori.

Also, the Master Sword/Skyward Sword is NOT the 4 Sword in any future of the timeline.

Nobody so far has said it is.

As for it being its own trilogy, as mentioned by Ganonking, I would have initially gone with that, too, had FSA not been developed in-house and dropped Capcom's intro-credits. That, as well as substantial quotes regarding the games from Anouma, makes me reluctant to drop them so easily to a Tingle-like level. The Oracle games, however, are another question.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
There's a huge problem with this. Link doesn't have the Skyward Sword brought down to him. He gets it right after Phi/Fi saves him from the sky. This means that he gets it in Skyloft. (My personal theory is that she simply houses herself in Link's sword rather than there already being a sword she's in, but that's not important right now.) That's an enormous contradiction that really takes out this entire theory. Not to say it's a bad one, but that one flaw prevents it from being true.

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Considering there are flaws between FSA's backstory and Minish Cap, does that make their connection not true?

FourSword Adventures intro said:
Long ago, in the kingdom of Hyrule, a wind sorcerer
named Vaati appeared.

Vaati terrorized the people of Hyrule and kidnapped
many beautiful girls from their homes.

When all hope seemed lost, a young boy carrying
little more than a sword appeared.

According to the legends, when the boy drew his sword,
he split into four, the four-who-are-one worked
together to vanquish Vaati.

The hero used his sword to bind Vaati in a remote area
of Hyrule. The people christened the blade the Four
Sword and built a shrine around it. There it remained
undisturbed for many years.

Ages flowed by...

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall girls getting kidnapped, nor does there ever seem to be a shrine around the Four Sword. In fact, Vaati was turning people to stone, and the blade, when not holding monsters in a chest, spends most of its time in the forest. Yet Minish Cap was confirmed to be a prequel to FS/FSA. Its like the inconsistency within the Oracle games, when in Ages you're sent on that mission by Zelda, but when you meet her somewhere near the end she introduces herself.

EDIT: Thinking back on the swords today, I've come to wonder how rare it must be for Link to travel around with various swords in one adventure. Because I'm certain he usually has at least 2, sometimes more, so would it be farfetched to consider there might be another sword collected at some point in the game? Naturally that'll fall flat on its face when Skyward Sword comes out, yes, but again its rare for Link to keep to one sword throughout a game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom