• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IMO: All future Zelda games should have easy modes.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
The purpose of this would be to allow the Normal Mode to be as difficult as it wants without having to compromise itself to please newer players.

Features for easy mode:
  • In-depth tutorials for sword play + items
  • Press a button to receive a hint for dungeons/puzzles
  • Start with 3 more hearts
  • Enemies deal X% less damage

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Difficulty modes have never really been a thing for Nintendo games. A few series, like Fire Emblem, are exceptions.

I wouldn't mind the option to make the tutorial optional, perhaps through a press "x" button to skip the tutorial option. Pressing a button to receive a hint isn't something I'm particularly fond of. The Sheikah stones giving small video hints are sufficient. The majority of gameplay and satisfaction in Zelda comes from figuring things out yourself.

Having enemies do less damage and players start with more hearts isn't necessary because most Zelda games aren't particularly hard after collecting a few heart containers.

If anything they need a more difficult mode. I actually would be fine with Zelda having difficulty modes as long as there was an option for a much higher difficulty level (something like Master in the STALKER series that not only increases the amount of damage you take/deal but also makes AI smarter and rebalances other aspects of gameplay).

The general idea is to ease new and/or casual players into the series, not bore and/or offend them to the point where they feel as though their intelligence and common sense are being brought into question. lol

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So, that casual players can be eased into the series while core players can play through the main adventure without excessive tutorials.

Features for easy mode:
  • In-depth tutorials for sword play + items
  • Press a button to receive a hint for dungeons/puzzles
  • Start with 3 more hearts
  • Enemies deal X% less damage
There should only be one mode. Hard.
The reason the creator of dark souls did not include an easy mode is because people would use it and it would defeat the purpose of the game. Zelda is supposed to be challenging and there has been a decline in challenge in the series starting with wind waker. I want them to bring back the difficulty of Majoras mask. Have games that require you to actually think for a bit about what needs to be done and how to do it. Im not suggesting a dark souls hard game, but if you put an easy mode in people will use it and remove the accomplishment of actually playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

If we really must have to have difficulty options then a harder option upon completing the game should be available.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The series is already easy so casuals can play it. My nephew has no trouble at all with anything beyond LA.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
If anything they need a more difficult mode.

I agree as well. Halo, for example, does this. They have easy/medium/hard and then legendary. For a certain segment of Zelda fans, Hero Mode isn't difficult enough.

There should only be one mode. Hard.

When we discuss changes toward the series, we often get into the territory of what "is/isn't Zelda". When we look at the original Legend of Zelda, the difficulty was hard but I wouldn't call that an essential part of its success. Games back then were hard because there was only so much you could do with a 2MB cartridge and the replay value needed to be extended.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
The series is already easy so casuals can play it. My nephew has no trouble at all with anything beyond LA.

Well, yeah, of course. That's because the difficulty of the games have been dumbed down to accomodate new people.

Instead of ruining the series for core fans who want a challenge by dumbing things down each time, just make a mode for newer players and let the core fans enjoy the difficulty.

Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, most of Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds have all been really easy games.

What if they had been challenging games (but also had a mode for newer players). Nintendo could appeal to younger kids while still giving the core fans a challenge

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well, yeah, of course. That's because the difficulty of the games have been dumbed down to accomodate new people.

It's not even new people anymore. This is what the majority of the series games are like and this is what the series has become. Same with Mario.

Zelda is a game that can't be made easier by giving some more hearts and let enemies deal less damage (except for Zelda II :) ). It needs to be designed in a way every piece fits. I personally think Zelda ought to have just one mode, that is Hard, as G-King already said. Zelda shouldn't be simple, but brutal, despite the kiddy look some people think it has.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I'm all for there being a separate easy mode (maybe call it a beginner's mode - or include a description on what choosing this particular mode entails), tutorials being skippable for experienced players, being able to turn off "hints" so that we don't constantly get our gameplay interrupted by the likes of Navi and especially Fi.

I'm also all for there being a hard mode (and not just as an unlockable), so that those who wants extra challenge can choose it. I'm not someone who would choose this one right off the bat, as I want my games to primarily be fun, and if they are too hard, I just don't find them fun. However if I've completed the normal difficulty, I could choose to up the ante by going into hard mode with my next game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with adding a couple of options in a Zelda game. It would be much more accessible as it would neither drive unexperienced gamers away with a too high difficulty, nor would it insult experienced gamers with a too low difficulty. And for those of us who prefers the middle ground, there would be the normal mode.

I do like this idea, particularly because I think optional tutorials would definitely be a good thing. There have been many a time when I have picked up a Zelda game with the intention of a replay and then been cowed by the tutorials.

Also, I like the idea of an 'in-game' difficulty bar. If you look at a game like Skyrim, you can change enemy strength by scrolling a horizontal bar. I think that this would be a neat feature, and it could be included as well as an overall difficulty setting that you select at the beginning of the game (for puzzles difficulty etc.)

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Honestly, most people would agree that the Zelda series is incredibly easy, and rarely offers any significant challenge. I think a hard mode would be more necessary. And I don't mean this piddly Hero Mode hogwash, but rather a mode with harder puzzles, enemies with better and more complex attack patterns, the standard less hearts appear or whatever.

I think the last thing core Nintendo franchises need is a freakin easy mode. I died several times on a SMG2 level that required you to flip panels beneath you while dodging giant marbles and was downright offended at some npc popping up and wanting to show me how to get through the level. If I wanted THAT I'd watch a bloody youtube lets play.

I'm no hardcore, sadistic player but people don't need that level of handholding especially in a Zelda game, most of the enemies and bosses aren't so difficult that you can't dispatch them easily, they all have a pattern and something they're weak too and the only time a player would need help is through a really tough dungeon or in an obnoxiously big collect-a-thon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom