• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IMO, 2014 sucked for Nintendo

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's because the game market is saturated. There's hundreds of good games out there, so "good" is no longer good enough. Back in the day, we'd have 1 shooting game that was really amazing for that year's standards (Halo, MP1, HL2). Now we have dozens of them and none stand out for example.
I would argue that there are hundreds of **** games and the ones that are less ****ty are the ones that we call "good," and yet good is not good enough (which makes sense.) I mean, when you clearly broken title of Call of Duty gets 10/10s despite being filled with nothing but incoherent shooting for a campaign, and an even worse multiplayer experience...you know there is something up. Not just that reviewers are paid to say good things about any given title, but that the true great games aren't being produced or are otherwise being ignored.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I would argue that there are hundreds of **** games and the ones that are less ****ty are the ones that we call "good," and yet good is not good enough (which makes sense.) I mean, when you clearly broken title of Call of Duty gets 10/10s despite being filled with nothing but incoherent shooting for a campaign, and an even worse multiplayer experience...you know there is something up. Not just that reviewers are paid to say good things about any given title, but that the true great games aren't being produced or are otherwise being ignored.

The problem is that the definition of "**** game" today is different than back then. Before the dawn of the 21st century, most games were genuinely bad. They were dysfunctional, had ****ty controls, had very little to no content. Today, a "**** game" is basically Watch Dogs - a game we expected to be a 10/10 but instead turned out to be a 6/10 (and not a 2-3/10 like most of the NES games).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That's because the game market is saturated. There's hundreds of good games out there, so "good" is no longer good enough. Back in the day, we'd have 1 shooting game that was really amazing for that year's standards (Halo, MP1, HL2). Now we have dozens of them and none stand out for example.

Definitely this. I've never had such a big backlog of games before, 2014 showered us with quality games, to the point where I think people complaining about 2014 really need to broaden their gaming taste if they genuinely couldn't find many good games, and for the first time I find myself delaying playing experiences I'd have jumped at before. Not a bad thing, of course, but it's definitely 'upped' how good a game needs to be in order to explode like Halo did.

Overhype is the only issue I saw in 2014. Games like Watch Dogs were great, but got overhyped and suffered because of it. They aren't 'bad', yet people will say it is. Quite odd shift.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
If Halo came out today, it would be a great game. In a sea of lots of other great games. More choices doesn't mean more happiness. Often, it leads to more confusion.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's all relative I guess. Compared to 2011 and 2013, it was a weak year. Compared to 2012, it was an amazing year.
That doesn't take away from the point though. If I, or others, see something as a bad year, it's a bad year. Everything is relative one way or another; it doesn't exactly make the point any less valid.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
For 2014 standards, 2014 was a weak year. I agree.

It wasn't a totally bad year. Like I said, there's a LOT of 7/10 and 8/10 games. But very few, if any, 9/10 and 10/10 games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom