• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IMO, 2014 sucked for Nintendo

And it's mainly due to both the 3DS's & Wii U's game library for the year being a big letdown for me. Not to mention the quality of Nintendo's games feel pretty mediocre compared to games from the NES to the Wii. What I'm trying to say here is that I really don't like their current game line-ups from them all that well.

At this rate, I'm starting to become less of a fan of them these days, and it's all due to their games recently. They just don't have the same spark as they did back in the day for me. There's also the fact that I'm more into mobile & indie games lately, and this is what's keeping my time away from anything Nintendo-related. Sure I've found Mario Kart 8 fun, but it easily got old to me fast. Same for Smash 4. I just want something new and fresh from them. I'm tired of them releasing the same old game just with a fresh coat of paint every time. From the looks of what they'll bring to the table this year, I don't think I'll bother with Nintendo & gaming all that much. And yes, this includes the new Zelda game.

Sorry this topic isn't anything worthy to talk about. It's just how I feel about Nintendo these days. Imho, they're just as bad as every other game company out there concerning their decisions and the quality of their games.

There are still a lot of amazing games out there that are not Nintendo. A lot of Nintendo fans seems to like to crap on other games/systems like Playstation/Xbox games (not saying you do, just in general), but there are some amazing titles out there. In general I am not happy at all with the general direction of gaming, Nintendo included, but there are still so many gems out there.

Rockstar is one company that never fails to disappoint and they still make fantastic games. Bethesda too, though they are pretty bug riddled they are amazing.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i haven't been feeling much of nintendo since around 2011-2012
they've just been doing way too much rehashing than one could take,even if some of them did turn out fine like mario 3d world or link b/w worlds,it doesn't change the fact that they're using nostalgia to sell their games [hell just look at the sales for their pokemon remakes]

no lie though,upon playing xenoblade chronicles,xenoblade x completely has me sold on a wii u

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How much kek...

2014 was definitely a dud year. Not very many memorable releases -- I think we got Smash Bros which of course was a big one, but besides that? What else came out? I think the big games for Nint actually came out in 2013.

2014 was a terrible year for gaming in general. At the end of the day, I'd rather have Nintendo retreading and refining some familiar territory than broken games from other develops polluting the market.

I think this year will be more original for Nintendo with the likes of new IPs like Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon as well as the second entry in a rather new hit RPG franchise, namely Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Agreed entirely. I thought 2014 was a very good year for gaming, so many great experiences that I enjoyed thoroughly and choosing a single GOTY was almost impossible (still is impossible, really), and many of those great experiences were completely brand new! I especially loved the small return of true triple-A horror titles, namely The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation since I love horror games, and we had some epic RPGs to go with them. Dark Souls 2 and Divinity: Original Sin were too good. <3

Nintendo, on the other hand, did not offer me anything completely brand new, and it was definitely a disappointment because of that. Their biggest games of this year felt very stale to me, they were objectively great games with the same quality Ninty games always have, but I just didn't enjoy them. They didn't hook me, I think is the best way of putting it, since I didn't dislike them or anything. I mean, with Brawl I played that game non-stop, for months on end and then constantly went back to it every so often. Smash Bros. for Wii U, and MK8 even, I played them for a week or so and I'm done. Just all feels the same, a bit too safe and a bit too boring.

I'm not holding out for an improvement, but at least I am actively looking forward to Zelda U and Splatoon. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
And it's mainly due to both the 3DS's & Wii U's game library for the year being a big letdown for me. Not to mention the quality of Nintendo's games feel pretty mediocre compared to games from the NES to the Wii. What I'm trying to say here is that I really don't like their current game line-ups from them all that well.

At this rate, I'm starting to become less of a fan of them these days, and it's all due to their games recently. They just don't have the same spark as they did back in the day for me. There's also the fact that I'm more into mobile & indie games lately, and this is what's keeping my time away from anything Nintendo-related. Sure I've found Mario Kart 8 fun, but it easily got old to me fast. Same for Smash 4. I just want something new and fresh from them. I'm tired of them releasing the same old game just with a fresh coat of paint every time. From the looks of what they'll bring to the table this year, I don't think I'll bother with Nintendo & gaming all that much. And yes, this includes the new Zelda game.

Sorry this topic isn't anything worthy to talk about. It's just how I feel about Nintendo these days. Imho, they're just as bad as every other game company out there concerning their decisions and the quality of their games.

If i wasn't such a massive Zelda fan I wouldn't bother buying Nintendo consoles at all. There are better games or at least more my sort of games on Xbox. All the third parties ignore Nintendo and even if they didn't the best and most definitive experience would be on the more powerful XBOX ONE or PS4.
Smash 4 was a rehash, I was really disappointed at the lack of an orignal moveset for ganondorf, a lack of new Zelda character and the lack of subspace like story mode. It's just like an HD brawl expansion which actually removed some of the good bits like the story and solid snake.
Super Mario bros U, was like all 2d mario games, a rehash
3D Zelda may stick to the same general formula but the worlds are very different each time and much more different from each other than the mario or smash series. Probably one of the reasons I get so excited for a new Zelda.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I thought 2014 was a pretty lacklustre year for games in general, not just Nintendo. Even though I didn't play that many games this year, I tried to make a top ten list and I struggled to name 5 games. Hopefully 2015 will be better.

2014 was a terrible year for gaming in general. At the end of the day, I'd rather have Nintendo retreading and refining some familiar territory than broken games from other develops polluting the market.

But Nintendo keeps playing it safe by not putting anything new to the gameplay at all. They're not innocent here. If I want to keep playing a game (it's not just anything from Nintendo, btw), I want something new added to the gameplay instead of rehashing the same game, but with HD graphics. Playing it safe is a very bad thing.

Nintendo, on the other hand, did not offer me anything completely brand new, and it was definitely a disappointment because of that. Their biggest games of this year felt very stale to me, they were objectively great games with the same quality Ninty games always have, but I just didn't enjoy them. They didn't hook me, I think is the best way of putting it, since I didn't dislike them or anything. I mean, with Brawl I played that game non-stop, for months on end and then constantly went back to it every so often. Smash Bros. for Wii U, and MK8 even, I played them for a week or so and I'm done. Just all feels the same, a bit too safe and a bit too boring.

Agreed. Smash 4 was way too much like Brawl, but I have to admit there were a few places that actually were a big improvement over the latter. Mario Kart 8 was better than the previous MK entries, but I got bored with it fast after playing it so much. If Nintendo doesn't offer anything new for me this year & maybe the next, I'm done with them and other AAA companies.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
As a Nintendo fan who is also honest about the company's flaws, I'd say 2014 is one of their best years in a while.

For the past few years, Nintendo has dealt with a slow sputtering down of the original Wii's life cycle, a bad 3DS launch and a really bad Wii U launch. 2014 was finally the year Wii U got it's acknowledgement. It had Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and a number of others. These games are just sequels, but they're more than what I've seen from MS and Sony's first party. Sales for Wii U are not at their ideal, but they're catching up.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't know why it was a bad year. None of the games released were bad really, so
Cant' speak for everyone in the thread, but in general, people feel entitled to great ball-busting orgastic video game experiences and I can't say 2014 delivered on that front.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I thought 2014 was a pretty lacklustre year for games in general, not just Nintendo. Even though I didn't play that many games this year, I tried to make a top ten list and I struggled to name 5 games. Hopefully 2015 will be better.

It's all relative I guess. Compared to 2011 and 2013, it was a weak year. Compared to 2012, it was an amazing year.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
If that's the case I'd say gamers have been absolutely spoiler rotten if a year like this can be considered bad. Maybe it's time to tone down.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Cant' speak for everyone in the thread, but in general, people feel entitled to great ball-busting orgastic video game experiences and I can't say 2014 delivered on that front.

That's because the game market is saturated. There's hundreds of good games out there, so "good" is no longer good enough. Back in the day, we'd have 1 shooting game that was really amazing for that year's standards (Halo, MP1, HL2). Now we have dozens of them and none stand out for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom