• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If There's One Thing I Don't Understand About the Zelda Series...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
it's the fact that we go open up a treasure chest without any keys, only to find a key inside. It just completely baffles me as to how it's possible to do that, unless the dungeon masters really are so stupid to let the Hero have the keys and eventually destroy them. :facepalm:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Orlynao? Of course it's Zelda. That doesn't mean that it can't have the smallest amount of realism in one of it's elements.

OnTopic: Are the chests just loose? Or is Link really strong (Adult Link can kick open the smaller chests...)?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We aren't talking about what matters, we're talking about why the chests don't require keys. So tell me, are they just loose enough to be powered open, or are they already unlocked with the key inside?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
We aren't talking about what matters, we're talking about why the chests don't require keys. So tell me, are they just loose enough to be powered open, or are they already unlocked with the key inside?

That's the thing, it doesn't matter. That's not how it works. The point is is that there's a key in a chest. Chests can have a key hole and still be unlocked.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
Zelda doesn't need to be logical ((: we love it for it's sense of fantasy and adventure. If it was so realistic, it wouldn't be that interesting.

I understand why you're curious though, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I never really stopped to think about it before.

I got an idea for a realistic zelda game! you walk into the first dungeon with no keys the BAM locked door. you loose. Those were some smart dungeon masters.

But anyway what would you prefer like cardboard boxes to hold the keys? I always thought the chests were cool especially when he kicks them open!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
you all are missing the point of this thread. it was meant to talk about the things in in the Zelda Series that you can't seem to figure out.

So JuicieJ and Seth, you're right, it doesn't matter, but at least he's on topic... unlike the both of you who came to teh thread to complain. Just sayin'

so, on topic... what i don't get is that the Gold Skulltulas are just found everywhere, and when you kill thm, there insides turn into a gold token... does anyone else find that weird?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Thank you, zeldahuman, for realizing what the topic was about. This isn't a thread to complain about the Zelda series, nor is it for people to come in and start trouble. >_>'

I know what you mean, they just like...defabricate, if that was a word. xD
EDIT: I think transmogrify is a better word for it, I dunno.

There really isn't much of an explanation for this. Ultimately, this boils down to being one of those elements of the game that's simply done for game design. Some Zelda games have actually had loose keys, particularly the handheld titles, where you just collect the key or do something to make it drop and then collect it. But several of the games generally only give you items straight out of chests, so Nintendo sticks the keys in other chests to avoid changing this. Pretty much none of the chests are locked, anyway, so just think of it as a container or box.

It would be nice to see an element of realism to this. Despite the fact that Twilight Princess was probably one of the worst culprits of what you're describing, it also did have keys given to you in more interesting ways from time to time, and when that did happen it was oddly satisfying and just felt good. Would be cool if they did that more in a Zelda game. Would make that game feel more unique and realistic, and if they did it creatively, it would make all the dungeons of the game even more varied and interesting.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
so, on topic... what i don't get is that the Gold Skulltulas are just found everywhere, and when you kill thm, there insides turn into a gold token... does anyone else find that weird?

I think the token is actually the plating in their "face".

Now that I get the topic, let's see if this adds:

The Link in Skyward Sword is the first one to try sprinting instead of rolling as his primary method of dashing (please, notice that I'm trying to ignore the timeline here) but the other guys would rather risk breking their necks and getting dizzy instead of just learning to run.

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Whoever placed the keys in the chests probably didn't have enough forethought to lock them. Or maybe they were unable! It depends who built the dungeons (I have an image in mind of Gorons building dungeons, trying to figure out how to lock those tiny little locks with their giant hands). Besides that, the key-in-a-chest mechanic would be pretty poor if you were gathering keys to open chests that more often than not will contain more keys. ;)

One thing I don't really get, is why there are so many different types of fairy that do near-enough the same thing. I mean I get art-style changes and the like, but after OoT it seemed like these different fairy varieties could all appear in one game, and though their roles are different, they're also contradictory to what that type of fairy would do in another game, instead fullfilling the role of a different fairy who was now doing a different fairy's position. That may have been more confusing than intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom