• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds I Love the Visuals! (What Was US Gamer Talking About?)

Yes, it is in a cartoony-style, and maybe some people do not like that, but I think the graphics are beautiful. Moreover, the 3-D is the best I have seen in any 3DS game. With everything else I have played, I have had to turn the 3-D slider down about halfway because it would get too blurry. But now I have the 3-D all the way up, and it looks completely clear. Must be the 60 FPS.

(Incidentally, no reversible cover for the US.)

I like the visuals plenty myself. They aren't the flashiest they could be, but they don't need to be either. It's fine as it is.

I'm not sure if this was US Gamer's beef specifically, but I know some people were upset about the game being top-down and with 2D gameplay, because they felt it was obsolete, so that might factor into the graphics discussion because, while the game looks nice and is 3D, it absolutely mimics the classic sprite-based look of A Link to the Past. That's silly though; as I said the game looks unoffensive.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I don't know but I totally agree. The game is BEAUTIFUL. It did what DKC Returns did as in making it a new experience but hitting that nostalgia button. I am loving it so far.

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
A lot of US gamers want new games look new, no going back to the roots of the game. I fricken love A link between worlds! I have the special edition 3ds xl version!

axel, what's your avatar?! I watched that on vhs along time ago, but forgot what it was called

Salem

SICK
I loved the visuals as well.

If the criticism is because of the 2D top-down view, well, I don't know what to say. That style will never die, in fact nowadays there's more opportunities to use it because of indie developers and suff.

I also love the visuals.

I have to admit i too was dissapointed at first that it wentvback to top-down perspective, but that was because i am Just really bad at top-down zelda games

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
The graphics look horrible. Why do you think it didn't get a perfect review?

Because of the ugly graphics. It was so close to a perfect review. Why couldn't they make a game that looked like Ocarina of Time or Kid Icarus? Those games actually look beautiful.

Salem

SICK
Because of the ugly graphics. It was so close to a perfect review. Why couldn't they make a game that looked like Ocarina of Time or Kid Icarus? Those games actually look beautiful.
1-ALBW looks as good as these games, imo, maybe better.
2-I heard it has something to do with the 60 FPS

EDIT:I realise my reply may sound self-contridictory.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I for one was really excited when i heard of the return to Top-Down perspective. ALBW is exactly what ive wanted, which is a perfect blend between oldschool gameplay and newschool graphics and features. Im having a great time playing the game. the 3D effect is better than i expected it to be. I Just Love this game!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Got to say the visuals are pretty sweet, definitely the best looking handheld game I've played and everything just looks a lot more vivid and clear than past handheld Zelda titles - this is due to this game actually being a 3D world, it's just the perspective that alters the view. Saying that, the colour scheme is bright but not too abstract and out there. I think it is the perfect blend of old and new - something that is a common theme with A Link Between Worlds.

It may not be stunning 1080p but it runs at a smooth 60fps and the graphics are really good, even from my own perspective as I appreciate a graphically good game by being a fan of such games like: Uncharted, Killzone etc. So I think even graphic nazis (made up word but it'll have to do) would still appreciate this game's visuals. However, it's all about the style and charm of the visuals - something the series is famous for.

So far I'm loving the graphics which are really emphasised by the 3D effect, they're not out of this world - no one expected them to be like that - but they are stylistic and it has "Zelda" written all over it.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Hmm... I'm not jumping on the "best visuals EVAR" bandwagon on this one.

Don't get me wrong, compared to most other 3DS games it's fantastic, and running it in full 3D mode is awesome. And in its own way it does a really good job of re-imagining the spritework of ALTTP. But after coming hot off the heels of Pokemon Y, somehow it feels... underwhelming. I know, I know, they're two completely different types of games, but still.

Also, and this is much more of a personal preference than anything, I feel the cel-shaded look of PH and ST simply works best for handheld games. Oh well, I've been tooting the horn about how we need new art styles in the Zelda franchise, and what ALBW has certainly works. Perhaps I'll warm up to it even more as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom