• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would Zelda Be if Link and Zelda Were Black

you never see to many games with a black hero or a black guy saving a princess so tell me what would think if Nintendo did do this

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I don't think Nintendo would do it. They'll keep them as 'white'. As for me, if there ever were black Zelda and Link, I would be suprised, but would still play the game. I'm not a racist, but it wouldn't suite Zelda.

Dan

Well why not... I mean Nintendo have an Italian plumber, why not an African American window cleaner or something... or black link... :P

If he is I just hope he would have an afro under his hat. But speaking in reality, Nintendo would never do it.

Actually though dark Link technically is black.

Hmm... I think a better question would be "How would the fanbase react if Nintendo were to introduce a "Black" Link and Zelda?" Your question is still interesting, nonetheless...

Well... For starters, the majority of fans might find it odd, and for the most part, it'd have nothing to do with race. When the series was first introduced in late 1980s, there was not very much racial diversity in the realm of entertainment. People were not used to seeing anything aside from Caucasian heroes in video games; this was especially true in medieval-esque fantasy settings like the world of Zelda. Might seem a bit harsh, but this sentiment is actually understandable, as it was quite common to feel this way towards such a drastic change in tradition back then.

On the other hand, however, some people might have been completely opposed to it entirely for racial reasons, and thus, controversy and unrest would have rung throughout the [gaming] world. Lots of people - gamers and non-gamers alike - would have probably been outraged over opposition's reaction to such a deviation from the traditional Caucasian hero. I'd attribute that outrage to the fact that a Black character in a medieval setting was even more strange than, say, rock men, humanoid fish, and little wooden guys back in the late eighties.

As for my personal opinion... I don't think the world of Hyrule even has the same racial classification system as our world does. As previously mentioned, the series likes to go the fantasy route when it comes to race what with its "elves", bird people, and wood guys instead of White, Black, and Asian. The dark complected Gerudo are not Black or Arabic (as fans popularly believe), but a fantasy race all its own, and the Hylians are not White, but a fantasy race all its own. Although, if Nintendo had given Link and Zelda a darker skin complexion, then I probably wouldn't consider it too far out there, especially in the slightly more racially-tolerable age in which we live. Overall, everything would have been the same, in my opinion. Although, The Legend of Zelda series probably wouldn't sale well, unfortunately...

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Link being black? No, forget about the idea. Zelda; however, is different. I wouldn't mind that. I DO want to see a hero who is black in a video game. Hero, not antihero (referring to GTA and Saints Row). It would be AWESOME to see a black Link in Super Smash Brothers, I think I'd choose that costume every time (because I all ready choose Link every time). It's a good idea. Adopt it, I say, but not in a main game.

I don't want to come across as too negative here, but what is the point in these types of threads? It's like that other one "What if Link was homosexual?"

Besides using this as an excuse to show how politically correct you all are, by giving an obligatory answer like "why should skin colour matter?" and getting brownie points for being "tolerant", why even ask such a question in the first place?

Personally I'd stop playing, because I like Link the way he is, and making him black is utterly pointless. Just like this thread. :-/

I have an idea: let's make Zelda black, and then Link and her can have interracial babies. And one of those babies should be gay. That should hopefully please all the adherents of multiculturalism and the status quo for the time being. *rolls eyes*.

Last edited:
It wouldn't work. Link would be to busy trying to play basketball and raping white women.

But seriously, I don't think Nintendo would do it only because it would be a departure from what Link's developed aesthetic is. Besides being jarring at first, I don't think it would really matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom