• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Many of You Believe This Supposed Non-linear Overworld to Be True?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
How many of you think that we really are going to get a non-linear overworld in zelda Wii U? See I want to believe it but I can't because every 3D zelda game on a console was promised to be big, in the end I wasn't satisfied with how big the games were. I just don't want to get all built up and then get crashed down if the game doesn't turn out as big as I hope. So I'm not believing it until I see a demo proving it to be true. For now I'm only expecting a normal zelda game to avoid disappointment.

So I want to hear from all of you, how many of you believe it to be true?

A big world and non-linearity are different pair of shoes. I'm pretty sure that this game is going to be quiet non-linear, which means, you can travel around like you want. No walls or tunnels to go from Ordon Village to Hyrule field for example. Everything is connected. And if you like to go to the mountains far far away, you can do so even at the beginning, but it probably means fighting against stronger enemies and finding a tougher dungeon. The world looks also big, though.

I wonder what's around all this. Because there needs to be an end to this world. Doesn't look like an island. Maybe it will be this invisible frame like in Wind Waker, where you just had to turn around with your boat at some points.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Well, I'm not expecting the overworld to be like Skyrim, which was really, really massive. Took you hours if you wanted to walk from one side of the world map to the other side. I do think the world will be much bigger than we have seen before in a Zelda game. My biggest point of concern is how they will keep it interesting to travel in this world. The TP world seemed kinda empty sometimes, and that was a relatively small overworld. They must have loads of random encounters, NPC's, collectables and random events to keep it interesting.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I believe it's true in regards to what it is. The Wii U is more powerful than 360/PS3 and they handled Skyrim, so it's not exactly some technical master-piece to make a big non-linear open-world game on a more powerful console. :P

I'm only skeptical about the depth and quality that will eventually be produced, but I don't doubt that it's a genuine open-world game. I don't think it'll have near as much content or variety as in the open-world of Skyrim, Bethesda is a lot more versed in this field than Nintendo and I think people setting themselves up for that scenario are asking to be disappointed; I saw some people on Reddit saying stuff like that. And other open-world games on XB1/PS4/PC like Witcher 3 will likely smash it out of the water on even more powerful hardware, but just hoping for an open-world game with some stuff to do along the way to normal Zelda content is a fine expectation I think. I doubt we'll be disappointed by wishing for that.

Link18

link18
it wouldn't be the first time there was an open world 3d game eg skyrim a game eiji said he took some inspiration from

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Do I believe it to be true? Of course, Anouma surly wouldn't lie to our faces.

It's obvious the direction the series is going in ever since they revealed that little bit of information about their next title back when The Wind Waker HD was announced. They basically wanted to shake things up and return the series to its roots, which is all about open world exploration and the original LoZ was one of the first great open world games in history. Nintendo obviously knows how to create such worlds, but they've been sidetracked with other things and haven't exactly tried to a create a fully open, nonlinear, 3D game. However, now they're making that their main goal.

Also these comparisons with Skyrim annoy me. People act as if Skyrim is the only ever open world game in existence and Nintendo must be copying it. No, Skyrim is a fun game and all, but it isn't the greatest open world game in existence nor is it the only one, so I think such comparisons are poor in a way. Zelda is a completely different beast, it's an Action-Adventure game, while games like Skyrim are Rpg based (they cater towards a more nonlinear set up). It's a much more ambitious project for an Action-Adventure like game to really go for this scale. So I think--if executed right--this open world could be one of the greatest created of all time.

It's hard to really grasp how big the world will be from little we've seen, but I think Anouma gave us a good clue. Apparently anything you see you can go to, and that view of the Hyrule horizon looked absolutely huge. To be honest though, it doesn't need to be huge as some games. RPG games do cater towards a bigger world, so it would be harder for Nintendo to shoot for that scale. In my eyes it's about quality and detail as well. You look at that view, of what presumably is Hyrule Field, and it looks amazing - so detailed, so stylistic, if we are comparing it to games like Skyrim then this game seemingly blows it out of the water in that aspect.

Overall it looks like they're going for a more open world game and I believe they can deliver such, but I think quality is just as important. If they get this balance right then this could be huge.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Also these comparisons with Skyrim annoy me. People act as if Skyrim is the only ever open world game in existence and Zelda must be copying it.

I didn't mean them like that at all, no. It's more like Skyrim has become the benchmark for open-world titles now, because it did it so well. Many games become benchmark titles in certain ways, Zelda included. Back a few generations ago very few adventure titles could escape being compared to Ocarina of Time. Any big PC game was compared to Crysis on a graphical level because it, too, became a benchmark in visual fidelity and what the industry could do. Lots of modern FPS' all get compared to Call of Duty. So the comparisons aren't really saying Zelda is copying Skyrim, or any game is copying any game, it's just that Skyrim is a good benchmark to judge its open world component.

Every new game in a certain field gets compared to contemporaries, and Skyrim just happens to be the biggest one for what Zelda is jumping into, the open-world genre. It's irrelevant if Skyrim's more RPG than Zelda because we're discussing the open-world component of the game, not the combat and not anything else.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I do believe it to be true. Anouma does like to mess with the fans, but he has never lied to our faces. From the trailer, which I read wasn't a pre-rendered cutscene just to show off, but an actually part of the game, the world looks decently big. It's not a shocker though, the Wii U can handle that.

Returning Zelda to it's roots has obviously been a goal for the series right now. Proof of that lies in A Link Between Worlds. Yes the world was almost the exact same as A Link to the Past, but it was still vast and brough a fair amount of content. There was barely any linearity in A Link Between Worlds. The game let you explore the worlds and dungeons any way you chose to do so. Seeing how successful A Link Between Worlds was, I would highly doubt the game would be linear.

The only issue I have with this is the quality of the world though. Zelda has had it's fair share of overworlds with nothing in them. So, if they do give us a huge, non-linear world, they will need to fill the world with enough content to explore and search for to be a great adventure. Without the exploration it will just be a big, boring wasteland.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't believe it and I don't want to believe it. A non-linear overworld is going to really restrict the developer's ability to create a good Zelda game. I can't imagine them trying to make Zelda U without complaining extensively to Aonuma that this just can't happen.

Salem

SICK
I would have been somewhat skeptical before, but they made ALBW extremely non-linear, so I believe this game to be non-linear, also during the E3 presentation, before he showed the game, he talked about the ordinal Zelda for the NES and how open-world it is compared to modern Zelda games, that alone seals the deal, this should remind GTA-style open world games that ZELDA came before them.:P

So, not only I believe this game will be non-linear, I have high hopes for it.^^

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I didn't mean them like that at all, no. It's more like Skyrim has become the benchmark for open-world titles now, because it did it so well. Many games become benchmark titles in certain ways, Zelda included. Back a few generations ago very few adventure titles could escape being compared to Ocarina of Time. Any big PC game was compared to Crysis on a graphical level because it, too, became a benchmark in visual fidelity and what the industry could do. Lots of modern FPS' all get compared to Call of Duty. So the comparisons aren't really saying Zelda is copying Skyrim, or any game is copying any game, it's just that Skyrim is a good benchmark to judge its open world component.

Every new game in a certain field gets compared to contemporaries, and Skyrim just happens to be the biggest one for what Zelda is jumping into, the open-world genre. It's irrelevant if Skyrim's more RPG than Zelda because we're discussing the open-world component of the game, not the combat and not anything else.

Hmm, I wasn't referring to your post, I didn't even see it, lol. I was speaking more about the general fan base.

Also I get that Skyrim is popular among gamers, but this state of mind that any open world is Skyrim-like is just... uh. The two games are nothing alike and they most likely never will be - they exist within two different genres. The only similarity I see is that both are fantasy medieval themed. And honestly I don't think Skyrim should be the benchmark to judge a Zelda overworld on (even if the next game does have larger, more open world) as they are completely different in design. This is the main problem I have with these comparisons - they simply aren't what the series should aspire to be like.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Hmm, I wasn't referring to your post, I didn't even see it, lol. I was speaking more about the general fan base.

Also I get that Skyrim is popular among gamers, but this state of mind that any open world is Skyrim-like is just... uh. The two games are nothing alike and they most likely never will be - they exist within two different genres. The only similarity I see is that both are fantasy medieval themed. And honestly I don't think Skyrim should be the benchmark to judge a Zelda overworld on (even if the next game does have larger, more open world) as they are completely different in design. This is the main problem I have with these comparisons - they simply aren't what the series should aspire to be like.

I don't think you can make the claim that an open-world Zelda, which we know nothing about yet (except that Link is not a girl, THANKS FOR CLARIFICATION AONUMA!! :D), is going to be completely different in design to Skyrim's open-world in anything but visual design. Because honestly, I don't see how it can't be similar? In what way do you feel the non-linear open-world of Zelda U, in a fantasy, medieval setting, is going to be radically different enough to Skyrim's non-linear open-world, which is also in a fantasy, medieval setting, for it to not warrant any comparison? And also not warrant people hoping that Zelda U will be similar to Skyrim. I don't think people are necessarily saying that every open-world game is like Skyrim, we just want them to be!

And I don't mean that literally. Skyrim is held in such high regard and is the benchmark title of today's open-world games not because of the content per say, but because its open-world had substance to it, which too many games lack. It had a variety of unique content scattered everywhere for the player to explore wherever and whenever. Skyrim just so happens to be the latest and greatest example of a non-linear open-world game done right, and so it seems completely natural to compare the two when Nintendo is telling us Zelda U is looking to be a non-linear open-world game. Skyrim's a good reference and benchmark when discussing open-world games because we of course want Zelda U's open-world to not share the exact content itself, but share the same level of substance and execution. It's exactly the same for Witcher 3, a non-linear, open-world game. All 3 games are likely to end up very different in gameplay and story, and are, but they share a common element, the open-world, and so comparison is totally natural and justified purely on the grounds of the open-world. It's not like we're comparing Halo and Mario!

So when using Skyrim comparisons it's moreso discussing the substance and execution of Skyrim's over-world and relating and comparing that, rather than what the content actually is. Zelda U's content will likely differentiate it from Skyrim as a whole, as do all open-world games, but we can still compare them on the common element they share and hope Zelda U shares, or is close to, or exceeds, the substance and quality of Skyrim's world. :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't think you can make the claim that an open-world Zelda, which we know nothing about yet (except that Link is not a girl, THANKS FOR CLARIFICATION AONUMA!! :D), is going to be completely different in design to Skyrim's open-world in anything but visual design. Because honestly, I don't see how it can't be similar? In what way do you feel the non-linear open-world of Zelda U, in a fantasy, medieval setting, is going to be radically different enough to Skyrim's non-linear open-world, which is also in a fantasy, medieval setting, for it to not warrant any comparison? And also not warrant people hoping that Zelda U will be similar to Skyrim. I don't think people are necessarily saying that every open-world game is like Skyrim, we just want them to be!
Well it's the way the series' are set up that makes the overworld design different. It's hard to really compare both, I'll explain.

Zelda's a series that is very puzzle based and it will never lose that aspect. It sets up it's overworld like a puzzle in ways which directly relate to progression in the game. In games like Skyrim the world is free from the off set, you can go anywhere and everywhere without necessarily progressing within the main game. Zelda relies on opening up areas through advancing the main plot: you'll unlock an area, complete said area, get a certain weapon/key, and open up the next area. Even in the more nonlinear games this set up is still present.

Anyway back to the puzzle thing. You will encounter roadblocks in the overworld which is were the puzzle aspect comes into play. For example, look at any given province in the 3D open-like games... Let's take Woodfall from Majora's Mask, it's not exactly your average linear walk to your destination, the area is set up like a puzzle coupled with a sequence of events which you need to do in order to progress. You'll encounter these areas a lot in Zelda games while, in completely open ended exploration games, the journey is more in a straight line rather than moving back, forth, left, right etc. There will still be an element of challenge that comes with the journey, but it's more so like walking forward.

Mercedes said:
And I don't mean that literally. Skyrim is held in such high regard and is the benchmark title of today's open-world games not because of the content per say, but because its open-world had substance to it, which too many games lack. It had a variety of unique content scattered everywhere for the player to explore wherever and whenever. Skyrim just so happens to be the latest and greatest example of a non-linear open-world game done right.
I'd disagree with a lot you said, in terms of the game itself. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game for sure, but it shouldn't be used as the template for comparison of every game that has some sort of open world.

Mercedes said:
Skyrim's a good reference and benchmark when discussing open-world games because we of course want Zelda U's open-world to not share the exact content itself, but share the same level of substance and execution. It's exactly the same for Witcher 3, a non-linear, open-world game. All 3 games are likely to end up very different in gameplay and story, and are, but they share a common element, the open-world, and so comparison is totally natural and justified purely on the grounds of the open-world. It's not like we're comparing Halo and Mario!
I'll have to disagree. Any game can have an open world to explore yet they can be two completely different games. Should we compare GTA V to Zelda? Both share this "open world" concept yet overworld design is completely different in both games. They serve different functions.

Mercedes said:
So when using Skyrim comparisons it's moreso discussing the substance and execution of Skyrim's over-world and relating and comparing that, rather than what the content actually is. Zelda U's content will likely differentiate it from Skyrim as a whole, as do all open-world games, but we can still compare them on the common element they share and hope Zelda U shares, or is close to, or exceeds, the substance and quality of Skyrim's world. :)
You say the content will differ, but substance and content are basically the same thing. Like at first you said that content should be a comparison, but later say it will be different from game-to-game - you just used an alternative word. See this is where I see the flaws in comparing them. Any game with some sort of open world shares the "open" connection, but apart from that, unless the overworld design is similar, the two overworlds will be act, play, and look differently.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
They never said that a Zelda game would be open world and you can access everything from every direction until this E3. So of course I believe it to be true. Why would they lie to us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom