• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Many Computer Monitors Do You Have Connected?

Amount of monitors on your computer

• Three, because I can!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two

• One...

• I have a laptop

• YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE SCREENS?!?!?!?!

• Total voters
I finally connected a second monitor to my computer after putting it off for so long. So, how many monitors do you have connected to your computer?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I only have one minotor connected to my computer; I don't feel there is any real reason to have more than one connected unless you work in an office setting or have an amazing quad-core processor with a ridiculously good card. :)

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
What is the point to having more then one monitor on a computer? I'm not being sarcastic or anything but it seems like a waste...

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
First off, I have one monitor. THe reason being is I don't work in an office, and it's a massive waste of space on my desk to have 2 screens. It's also a hassle to learn how to work with both. Also, wastes a lot of energy and a lot of CPU space. If i was a programmer, of course I'd probably use it. I'm not, however, so i doubt I'll ever use two monitors at once.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I only have/need one monitor. It would be cool to have two or three, though I doubt I would ever use them that often.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I have one monitor connected to my desktop, but I can also connect my laptop to it for projects involving two screens, such as...
  • GIMP: main window on the large monitor, toolboxes on the small laptop screen
  • Web development: several code files open on the monitor, preview/output and reference material on Chrome tabs on the laptop
  • Writing process: Resources on one screen, notes on the other; notes on one screen, outline on the other; outline on one screen, draft on the other
Eventually I'd like to get a second monitor dedicated to my desktop so that I can dual-screen both machines using one shared monitor. I've heard that it's been empirically shown that two monitors can increase productivity, but three actually decreases productivity. I won't be connecting my laptop to both of the monitors at once.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You... You can have multiple screens??? @_@ Mind = Blown. I did not know this. I have a laptop though, so I don't know how that would work... What would someone even do with more than one screen anyway? I don't even know that much! ... I'm such a computer noob.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You... You can have multiple screens??? @_@ Mind = Blown. I did not know this. I have a laptop though, so I don't know how that would work... What would someone even do with more than one screen anyway? I don't even know that much! ... I'm such a computer noob.

If your video card has more than one output (for example, two VGA outputs), you can hook two monitors up to your computer and role from there. My own card has a VGA, HDMI and DVI ports, the latter of which I currently use.

Most people use multiple monitors if they're in an office-based job (my dad uses two monitors) or if they're playing hardcore, professional gaming such as StarCraft. It's actually much more efficient than one huge screen, but it uses a **** ton of power in the process.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If your video card has more than one input (for example, two VGA inputs), you can hook two monitors up to your computer and role from there. My own card has a VGA, HDMI and this white one that I forgot the name to which I currently use.

... VGA? HDMI? I don't even know what those are. This is like moonspeak to me. @_@ Maybe I'm not prepared to hear this intense technological speak yet... lol

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I think there should be a "I don't know what a monitor is" for those who no longer own a desktop and parents won't let them use laptops

Austin

Austin
(You can have more than one screen connected to a laptop)

I have two monitors currently connected to my rig. My card supports three but I don't have the desk space for a third. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and figure out a way to clear some up. I find that multiple monitors really helps your efficiency in tasks where you have to consistently refer back to an example, such as coding or graphic design work.

Additionally, the requirements to run more than one monitor aren't particularly taxing at all. I have friends with rather low-end laptops using integrated video that managed to power a second display without any noticeable performance decrease at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
What is the point to having more then one monitor on a computer? I'm not being sarcastic or anything but it seems like a waste...
Because it gives you more room to work with everything, especially if you are the kind of person who likes running multiple programs at once.

I keep a second monitor hooked to my laptop...when I'm not on vacation that is. My laptop screen is just too small for me to manage everything I like to keep open and it is currently KILLING me inside that I'm stuck with just one monitor over break. I usually like having one for skype and the other for everything else, because it is a pain keeping up with skype if it's not always visible for me.

A second monitor is one of those things where you don't really need it, and you can live fine without it, but once you try it, omg there is NO going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom