• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda How Does Link Feel?

tecknokid900

All Hail Yhtomit!
Ok so we all are playing the Legend of Zelda, going through the dungeons, killing bosses, blasting monsters with your sword beam trying hard to fight your way to Gannon. But we some of us overlook one thing, "How does Link feel?" I mean, your controlling him and guiding him through Hyrule and we never think about his feelings. Now in the most recent 3D games we can see how Link feels in this certain situation. but in the old 2D versions we can't see that. So tell me what you guys think how Link feels.

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
Hmmmmm....good question. I think there are times when he probably feels scared (especially when he is first starting out on a quest) but he knows it's necessary to save Hyrule, so he pushes passed that emotion. He probably hides most of what he feels to avoid getting hurt, like when he speaks to Saria on the bridge when he initially leaves the forest in OoT and just runs away. That may be why we don't see his emotions much.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think he feels like his duty to protect Hyrule was just unfairly dumped on him without warning, but knows deep down that if he doesn't do something, his world will fall apart at the hands of Ganon. His friends, the innocent people, and princess Zelda... He understands that he's the only one who can save them, and he accepts that.

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
Ah I've only played three 2d games. Yet I think link would feel like whatever is going on. Therefore if he's happy, he'd smile or jump up and down. If he was sad he could pout, have a tantrum, or cry. And if he's mad ye could attack like he was gonna kill anything in his way, just like InuYasha would!!!!! So yeah, that's what I think Link would .

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
I think he's often shaky, from fear, nerves, or adrenaline. It's possible that he's sore, too. And he might be annoyed that the player is telling him to do something silly, like attack a Cucco, and he has to suffer for it. Unless he likes playing pranks like that.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
This is a mistake I often see in the thinking of many Zelda players. It is fairly common, but it is, for lack of a better term, "wrong" to think in this way.

The truth is simple: Link does not experience "feelings". He simply acts upon yours. He is merely a vessel and appendage that stands dutiful to your command. He serves you in the same way your arm serves you. It merely acts upon your thoughts.

To avoid confusion, I think an analogy may be a good idea. Let's say, for example, you happen to be the best singer in the entire world. You are known around the world, having attained many awards and honors. Then, someone gives you some music to sing. This music is HORRIBLE. Even thinking about singing the music makes you want to vomit.

Now, if you (being the best singer in the world) sang this abhorrent song, and it sounded terrible, does it reflect on you or the music?

In the analogy, you would represent Link. Again, he is merely a vessel, channeling your thoughts (the music) and acting upon them. If your thoughts are malevolent, Link is malevolent. If your heart and mind are pure, you can wield the Master Sword and defeat Ganon.

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
What do you mean Zelda players can't use their imagination? I've been playing LoZ for 7 years now, and it fuels my imagination. 'Course it helps that I've always been extreamly imaginative.
I completely agree with you! The designers obviously had a good imagination, so why shouldn't the players? Imagination isn't a bad thing at all. I think fantasizing about this stuff is actually quite fun:).

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
This is what happens when I pick up a game controller to play any of the Legends of Zelda:

Link: Huh, wha? HER? NOOOO! Not her again! This is the person who kills me sometimes just to watch my death animations! She does horrible stuff to me just to see what would happen! Like the time she thought it was cute to watch the Magic Armor power down while I was riding Epona and was sent hurtling to the ground... I heard her laughter. Oh, come on, someone else pick up the controller, please? ANYONE BUT HER!

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
well i guess he feels what you feelsince you control him.

Last edited:

Twilight

Storming Twilight
@Anemos, how could you say that Zelda players CANNOT use their imagination?! They can't? Why do you think Zelda exists? Did Shigeru Miyamoto made the Zelda games from no imagination at all? Shall the deviants stop drawing Zelda artwork/comics because of the lack of imagination? Shall we be brainless idiots that can't make up a nice, funny atmosphere? Oh, ok. Let's shut our mouths up and stop fantasizing, afterall, Zelda is a real game. Nothing there is fantasy. :dry: Seriously man, get a life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom