• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS How do you feel about Majora's Mask 3D having less gloomy graphics then the original?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I never saw Majora's Mask as having this amazing art style anyway, so having it be less gloomy really isn't a deal-breaker at all for me. Some games have indispensable art style and graphics, like Bastion, Limbo, Okami; those games, if changed in a remake, I'd be quite disappointed with. Majora's Mask, not so much. So I'm completely indifferent to this change, it matters not! :P

It sounds like LoZ fans just like to complain.
Twilight Princess: "It's too dark! Where are all the colors?! This game is too gritty gray!"
Majora's Mask 3D: "It's so bright! What happened to all the gloom?! It should look darker!"

I don't mind the graphics being much lighter than how the original N64 version was. However, I do agree that the old dark graphics definitely gave the game a much darker atmosphere. Overall, I don't mind it all that much.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I like it. The original's world looked incredibly ugly and depressing, except for Clock Town (ironically). It didn't even feel worth saving.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Personally I don't like it, I felt like the original game had the perfect atmosphere, this game.....eh.....
They destroyed the look of OOT with OOT 3D. The bits that were supposed to be dark such as when Ganondorf bursts from the ruins of his castle and the only thing you can see is his glowing eyes and triforce added to his menacing presence, but in the remake you can clearly see his lit up and hideous face, it is not scary, they actually made his face look kind of gross in the remake.
MM is supposed to be a dark and creepy game. Making it brighter is not a good thing as it would take away some of the atmosphere for newer players that they would have experienced had they played the original. Of course there is no way they would be exposed to the original so I guess a brighter less creepy remake is better than not experiencing MM at all.

Personally I don't care too much. I don't have a 3DS and wont be borrowing one to play MM3D. If I want to play MM I will play the original. I don't like playing big 3D Zelda games on a small screen anyway. To me OOT 3D felt weird played on a small screen. MM I will be no different.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
I like it. The way I interpret it is that the world of Termina was always meant to look like it did in MM3D, simply, the graphical limitations of the N64 prevented the developers from creating a world like the new one. Just my two cents though. Not a huge difference for me, I'm still fine playing either.

Cross

For rent
I prefer the original graphics, they set up a nice creepy tone. The remake looks good, but it doesn't carry the same atmosphere as the original (Except for the moon, it does look creepier in high-res.).

Can't help but feel that the increased detail offered by the improved graphical fidelity clashes with the inherently gloomy and ambiguous aesthetic of the world of Majora's Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom