• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do the Ritos Come from Zoras?

Z

Zora

The Rito race and Zora race are nothing alike. Zoras are fish with fins. How does a fish evolve into a bird type race with beaks???? Anything could have evolved into the Rito, why Zoras??? There only similarities are the fact that they stand on two feet, and Princess Ruto which sounds similar to Rito.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
There's a theory that Valoo made them evolve from the Zora to the Rito, I don't know why he'd change water people to flying people in a water dominant world.
I'm not sure of how it really happened.

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
I maintain my stance that the whole Zora-to-Rito theory is just that - a theory.

Z

Zora

Could you please explain because I don't believe you and who confirmed it?

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Could you please explain because I don't believe you and who confirmed it?
Aonuma confirmed it himself. If you want an explanation, you can read the entire interview by clicking right here.

if you're too lazy to click, I'll just quote myself:
rito.png

青沼 「時のオカリナ」に登場したゾーラ族の進化した形がリト族で、コキリ族が森から離れてコログ族になった、という設定です。見た目はまるで違います が、血は継承されています。
AONUMA: We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Koroks as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laruto: "O great hero, chosen by the Master Sword! My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword. And yet... unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away... but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance. You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument... Nothing can stop the flow of time or the passing of generations... but the fate carried within my bloodline endures the ravages of all the years. It survives. The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods. The door that blocks your way will only open when the sage plays that song. May the winds of fortune blow with you."
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Medli: "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There is something... something I must do. Link... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple. There's actually something that I can do to help this world. It's incredible... I bet my teacher knew all about this... Link, please... You must take me to the Earth Temple. We must hurry and wake the power to repel evil that sleeps within the Master Sword."
(SOURCE)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...gosh I'm a nerd. Also, fun fact, the Rito tribe was inspired by Akira Himekawa's original Watarara race. As for evolution, it's not so hard to see how those big fins on their arms eventually were able to become wings.

That's a scanned copy of the interview along with a translation. The Japanese is in red, the translation is in blue. Below that, there are quotes directly from the game.

It's confirmed. Official. Canon.

Apple

Crazy Cookie
I believe that when the Great Flood happened, the goddesses and Valoo worked together to change the Zoras into the Rito so they wouldn't find Hyrule under the sea. Some of them also might have been changed into the fishmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom