• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Hopes for Zelda U

There's so little we know right now. But still, we got a glimpse of what might come at our way! And it's probably fun to discuss whats possible und what we would like to see.

I am really interested in the cape thing Link is wearing in the trailer. Seems like he has to hide from somebody. Or he wants to blend in with some tribe. I really hope, that it's going to have an impact weather or not you wear that cape. But I understand that maybe it's sole purpose was for this trailer to introduce Link in a special way. Would be a missed opportunity, though.

The other thing I'm hoping for is that I would like to have lots of new things story wise in this game. There can be Link, Zelda and even Ganon, but other than that, this should be a new lore in my opinion. I don't want lots of nods to past titles. I don't need seven descended sages, the Master Sword or another incarnation of Impa all over again. I'd prefer a fresh new fable about a hero who saves the Princes from evil. I'd like Nintendo to go nuts with new elements and tell a beautiful story. We had so much nostalgia in Twilight Princess and (even though it is the first title in the timeline) Skyward Sword.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I want lots of new elements, too. Aonuma has said there's gonna be a lot of change, and I'm really excited to see just what sort of change it will be. I really love the idea of a wide open world. That holds a lot of possibilities. He said that the game starts where we decide to start it, depending on where we decide to go. I assume this means we can complete dungeons in any order we please, similar to the Lorule part of A Link Between Worlds. I'm hoping for something like that, at least.

I'm also hoping that what was shown in the trailer is Link's new design for the game. I don't hate his traditional green tunic, but I really love the new look he's sporting. I would love it if that were his look throughout the whole game. I've seen people speculate on whether or not the bow and arrow he has in the trailer is gonna be the main weapon for the game. I hope we can still get a sword. I like swords a lot, much more than bow and arrows, so I hope at least the sword aspect isn't changed. I don't care if we see the Master Sword or not, just as long as I get a sword. I would actually like to see a new sacred sword. Phantom Hourglass had the Phantom Sword and Spirit Tracks had the Lokomo Sword. I hope we get a new type of sacred sword like that. Or, maybe the bow and arrow from the trailer is that sacred weapon. I would prefer a sword to that, though. Maybe we'll see a sword that has magical/mechanical properties like the bow and arrow does. I would like that.

I really dig Links new look and outfit. Couldn't ask for more! But I think at some point it will be at least possible to change to the green tunic. Because if there isn't a guy with the signature green tunic beneath the title "The Legend of Zelda", this game wouldn't be recognized as much. I'd like Link to get rid of his hat, though. It's time, I think. In the first game, it was just a matter of technical limitations and pixels, why Link had to wear this hat. I think Link looks better without it.

I currently want to see more as to what Aonuma meant by open world. How can you explore it, what can you see, what can you do? He mentioned that you can approach destinations from any angle, and thus have different methods towards accomplishing goals, so how will this carry in in the traditional Zelda formula? What will be kept, and what will be eliminated through this open-ness?

Edit: Misread this thread :p, my hope is that my questions will be addressed, but also that tools will actually carry extensive uses that you can invent as you play along, quite different from what occurred with A Link Between Worlds, where many items became useless after one completed the dungeon assigned to that item (sand rod I'm looking at you).

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
I'm hoping that the overworld has plenty of treasures and things to do scattered throughout it.
I don't need to have a chest ever 5-10 feet ala MM; but I just don't want it to feel empty and barren like the Sky and the Great Sea felt.
I think that can be remedied with a variety of minidungeons, like they did with ALBW.

I'm also hoping they continue the trend of non-linearity with the dungeons that they started with ALBW.
Being able to change up the order you complete dungeons adds to the replay value, imo.

I also would like to be able to start the game in hero mode right off the bat, perhaps even letting us switch between modes like they did in WWHD.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
1. That this really is a true open world. A lot of games say this, but don't always deliver.

2. Many side quests and side dungeons.

3. A wonderful story.

4. Ganondorf as the main villain.

5. Some kind of optional multiplayer.

I would like the story to take a different path from the traditional argument of saving Hyrule, something more like MM or Link's Awakening.
But I guess that now that we know the story take place in Hyrule I can't expect that anymore.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
More quests, as simple as that. SS was limited to like 15 or so quests? Not to mention how short each one was. Maybe i'm too much of an Elder Scrolls fanboy but i would love a greater variety of quests, quests that have a somewhat (even if its very small) effect on the main quest, and how people treat you (Something many ES games have trouble with). Also the quests should be longer, and expand the lore and immersiveness of Hyrule.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I hope it's not as bad as Aonuma's making it out to be. TP and SS were great...as long as it continues that path, I'll be fine.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
My hopes are:

1) A story that makes sense and fits in the timeline in a place that makes sense like for now, taking place in the Child Timeline ages and ages after TP and even FSA would be a good logical example explaining why Link looks so much different than he usually does. Perhaps maybe another prequel game in the pre-split timeline would also makes sense in a way.

2) Fun & Interactive gameplay that fits the game.

3) New main villain not Demise/Ganon unless if he ends up having a more developed character and background as well as more reasons to be the villain other than just there for the Triforce (seriously we've seen enough of that too often already, desperate need of break :dry:) this time around, I'd be fine with that (again, if Demise/Ganon is going be in this, he needs some unexpected reasons to be this time as well as more character, seriously, there has to other things he wants other than the Triforce).

4) Nintendo should take their time to perfect this game and go for a Holiday 2016 release to ensure the game plays well. I honestly feel that a 2015 release would be too rushed.

5) Monster Hunt side quests for rewards like pieces of heart, rupees, etc (after if game will focus more on Link's bow, they should really consider this)

6) Expand more on upgrades. This time, they just focus on items, but equipment as well (no, I'm NOT talking about customization), though, they kinda did this with the different tunics and boots but what if this time around, you could upgrade them, like increase Link's defense, or increase agility, and etc.

7) Expand on the Backtracking that seen in SS. This time, I think they should not only have return to one dungeon a second time but all of them. They could have both visits to the dungeons completable in any order. Some of the second visits may be main quest essential and some can have to do with side quests as the second half of the game should introduce the player to some dungeons that can be found in the open world in place you can't reach right away just yet. Note that even in a open world, there should still be some obstacles you can't get past too early on, you may able to explore a good massive lot the open world but all at one time, kind of like what ALBW set an example of.

8) Great epic orchestrated music

9) a great sense of realism and emotions in the game's story as well as the roles of the characters

10) A good unique subtitle that isn't too gimmicky or cheap

Anyways, that's my 10 hopes for Zelda U.

My personal hopes:

First, should Ganondorf return, I would like to see similar work done as to what Skyward Sword did with Zelda. Make him an interesting antagonist (not a villain) who's own desires conflict with those of Link's. The more we see of Ganondorf throughout the story and how he develops, the better. But as I said, that's only if he's returning as the main opposition to Link in this title.

Should the lines of a Zelda game be blurred this is fine. However, they should never let the Zelda franchise lose some of it's more iconic features. Link should be able to use his standard garb during the game preferably not long after he sets out or before this period in the game. Non-linearity is being emphasized, but how Aonuma was talking about how the world itself was a puzzle makes me concerned that this will mean our dungeons won't be as rigorously focused upon. I'll be blatantly honest and say my favorite dungeons are from Twilight Princess. They're somewhat confusing and long. But at least in my eyes, that's a perfect combination. They make you think for extended periods of time which a number of other games lack. Plus the themes and music always give them a sense of identity that once pulled together in the game truly give a great journey overall. I don't thing they'll forsake dungeons in this game, but should the Zelda franchise lose sight of it's roots that made games such as Ocarina of Time the giants that they were, then the series will lose a lot of it's draw and it's entertainment for me.

Some people want orchestrated music, but for me I'll take any kind of soundtrack as long as it creates a mood at least as good as Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in which both soundtracks express the mood of the story unfolding in their respective games.

More so than anything else. I just want the game to be a title true to the franchise remaining as gripping as others in the series. Aside from that the more they surprise and impress, the better. I'm excited to see what they've got planned.

VitaTempusN92

My personal hopes:

First, should Ganondorf return, I would like to see similar work done as to what Skyward Sword did with Zelda. Make him an interesting antagonist (not a villain) who's own desires conflict with those of Link's. The more we see of Ganondorf throughout the story and how he develops, the better. But as I said, that's only if he's returning as the main opposition to Link in this title.

Should the lines of a Zelda game be blurred this is fine. However, they should never let the Zelda franchise lose some of it's more iconic features. Link should be able to use his standard garb during the game preferably not long after he sets out or before this period in the game. Non-linearity is being emphasized, but how Aonuma was talking about how the world itself was a puzzle makes me concerned that this will mean our dungeons won't be as rigorously focused upon. I'll be blatantly honest and say my favorite dungeons are from Twilight Princess. They're somewhat confusing and long. But at least in my eyes, that's a perfect combination. They make you think for extended periods of time which a number of other games lack. Plus the themes and music always give them a sense of identity that once pulled together in the game truly give a great journey overall. I don't thing they'll forsake dungeons in this game, but should the Zelda franchise lose sight of it's roots that made games such as Ocarina of Time the giants that they were, then the series will lose a lot of it's draw and it's entertainment for me.

Some people want orchestrated music, but for me I'll take any kind of soundtrack as long as it creates a mood at least as good as Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in which both soundtracks express the mood of the story unfolding in their respective games.

More so than anything else. I just want the game to be a title true to the franchise remaining as gripping as others in the series. Aside from that the more they surprise and impress, the better. I'm excited to see what they've got planned.

An antagonist IS a villain. Also, as I've said before, if Ganon does return (again :dry:), he should have more character than before and other more unexpected reasons to be the villain than just go after the Triforce and attempt take over Hyrule every single time (seriously, that's kind of getting redundant now). I say, either Ganon appears for new unexpected reasons and more character like WW Ganon or a new villain entirely this time around. That's what I'd prefer to see in the game. Also the Triforce shouldn't have to play a main key factor in this. This is supposed to be the most original game to date after all, right?

An antagonist IS a villain. Also, as I've said before, if Ganon does return (again :dry:), he should have more character than before and other more unexpected reasons to be the villain than just go after the Triforce and attempt take over Hyrule every single time (seriously, that's kind of getting redundant now). I say, either Ganon appears for new unexpected reasons and more character like WW Ganon or a new villain entirely this time around. That's what I'd prefer to see in the game. Also the Triforce shouldn't have to play a main key factor in this. This is supposed to be the most original game to date after all, right?

That's the reason why I said I would like to have a game similar to MM or Link's Awakening. I want to see changes, I know they are capable of making something new while keeping the essence of the Zelda games.

While antagonists and villains are essentially the same, I just feel that the word villain implies being evil for the sake of being evil due to it's more negative connotation. I just feel like the word antagonist just better represents not so much as someone who's goal is to defeat protagonist but rather has a goal that conflicts with the protagonist's. It's a very minor detail. Most importantly though as you said it's just important that should Ganondorf be our challenge to overcome that he's not so one-dimensional by trying to rule over all of Hyrule as being his main motivation for defeating Link.

VitaTempusN92

While antagonists and villains are essentially the same, I just feel that the word villain implies being evil for the sake of being evil due to it's more negative connotation. I just feel like the word antagonist just better represents not so much as someone who's goal is to defeat protagonist but rather has a goal that conflicts with the protagonist's. It's a very minor detail. Most importantly though as you said it's just important that should Ganondorf be our challenge to overcome that he's not so one-dimensional by trying to rule over all of Hyrule as being his main motivation for defeating Link.

Definition of villain:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/villain

evil character and antagonist to the hero

Definitions of antagonist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antagonist

Primary Antagonists
Main Antagonists are the most important antagonists in a story. They are the character(s) who are responsible for a major event that the story revolves around and are the enemy who the main character must defeat. In video games, the main antagonist is frequently the final boss. The antagonistic character can return in sequels either reclaiming their position as the main villain, or appear as a lesser character.

Secondary Antagonists

Secondary Antagonists are villains who are of second most importance in a story. They can be seen as a minion to the main antagonist, or a separate character with their own personal agenda. A main example of a secondary antagonist is Starscream from the Transformers, who is the second-in-command to Megatron, the primary antagonist of the franchise. Starscream serves Megatron, but truly wishes to overthrow his master so that he may rule the Decepticons himself. Also, in some cases, the secondary antagonist returns in a sequel as the main antagonist, to avenge the former villain who dies in the previous work. Other times, the secondary antagonist will become the true main antagonist, revealing themselves to have been the cause of the events in the story, while the initial antagonist is either killed or reforms and assists the protagonist on fighting the new villain.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/antagonist

the adversary of the hero or protagonist

Definition of adversary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adversary

Long story, that all pretty much mean the same thing.

Adversary = Villain = Antagonist

You can't say that an adversary is not a villain. You can not say that a villain is not an antagonist. You can NOT say that an antagonist isn't a villain. It's just common sense and logic. So by true logic, that would mean you're trying to suggest that Ganon should be just some random innocent man just minding his own business wanting whatever he wants not trying to do anything bad but somehow that conflicts what Link whats, like say that they want the same thing but they choose not to share like Zelda heart for example or that they opposite of each other, either way, Link is upset by this and wants to ruin Ganon's life, making Ganon a zero/hero (depends on the situation) and Link a villain. By your logic, you suggestion says that Ganon should just be some troll/spoiled brat who annoys people to death still wanting Triforce and whining and complaining about it, explaining he's not a villain, he just wants the Triforce so he can look at how pretty it is, somehow this disturbs Link and Link wants to shut him up making Ganon a spoiled good wimp accused of being "antagonizing" and Link a mean bully thought to be "heroic". See the problem here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom