• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hearts or Containers

ok so what do you guys want heart containers where you get an easier way to get hearts so u can get back to your quest.or heart piecies where you explore the entire land out searching everything.

Elfen

Call Me Robbi :D
Yeah, because in some of the Zelda games (i think) you some times are just so eager to get to the end and beat it and get heart containers from bosses and quests, than serching everywhere making hte game more boring since you would have to serch everywhere and get bored of it quickly :/

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
^I don't see how adding content to a game would make it boring... I generally prefer having more to do in a game so I don't get bored.

Heart Pieces without a doubt. Nintendo just putting Heart Containers in PH and ST was a really lazy thing to do. The only way I wouldn't be bothered by the lack of Heart Pieces in SS is if they add more sidequests/better rewards from the sidequests, but I would still be very disappointed. I want this game to be difficult. That can't be achieved if vitality is as easy to come by as it is in PH/ST. In fact, I would like it if they made each heart container require 5 pieces instead of 4 like in TP.

I think they should keep the same system they have now because the only reason heart containers look like a free heart is because the bosses aren't challenging enough for u to need that extra heart so if they make the game harder u might be wishing for a heart container.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Personally, I think adding heart pieces scattered around Hyrule makes for an awesome side-quest. While searching, really get to take in all of the game's environments and familiarize yourself with the area. Removing that aspect not only makes the game shorter, you lose a sense of interactivity that connects the player to the amazing fantasy world of Hyrule, thereby making the game more shallow. This is mainly why I didn't care for Spirit Tracks (haven't played PH yet, but I take it they're the same when it comes to gaining more health), because even though it had a nice plot and some super fun puzzles, I really missed being able to freely explore Hyrule.

I like the system they have now. Random pieces scattered about as an on-going side-quest, and then a full container after beating a boss. It's a nice little reward for all the work you put into solving the temple and fighting all those monsters.

I'm 99% certain that they'll stick with that concept. From what we know, it seems like it's going to be a fairly in-depth game, though it will be shorter than, say, Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time. Because of this, they'll need to incorporate as many side-quests as possible to lengthen it, and while collecting heart pieces doesn't necessarily have any relevance to the plot, it's still a fun challenge and adds a whole other element to the game.

I have mixed feelings for the both. Heart Containers or Pieces of Hearts, it really doesn't matter to me at this point. Also, with this question being made comes whether or not there should only be 16 Heart Containers total or 20.

Having full Heart Containers as a means of obtaining more life wasn't just seen in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but it was also seen in the original Legend of Zelda and the Adventure of Link. With Heart Containers scattered around, the game will be shorter, sure. However, with the Heart Containers, its highly possible that accomplishing the one side-quest to get one Heart Container will be more difficult than doing, say, four easy side-quests or some of medium-difficulty. Collecting just Heart Containers, as I said, was seen in LoZ, AoL, PH, and ST, and all these games had 16 Heart Containers total, with the exception of AoL. If it is only Heart Containers, then its possible that this game may as well have 16 Heart Containers total, which could possibly bring the difficulty of this game up.

Pieces of Heart didn't make their debut until A Link to the Past, and all the games after that had Pieces of Hearts, except for PH and ST, as means of acquiring more life. As much as I like more length in a game, I sometimes found it tedious, much like in the Wind Waker. The good thing with Pieces of Hearts though is that it may give some other items some more significance. If the side-quests for the Pieces of Hearts tear through supplies, such as arrows, bombs, etc. then they'll definitely bring up the value of a Rupee which normally they just lay in Link's wallet for a good amount of the game. Also, most side-quests I've finished for Pieces of Hearts are easily done. However, I'm not saying that Pieces of Hearts are always easy to collect. The side-quests for the Pieces of Hearts, or at least some, should have the difficulty of that seen in Majora's Mask with the Couple's Mask. However that's just my opinion. All Zelda games with Pieces of Hearts, though, had 20 Heart Containers total, with the exception of LA and OoX, which can make for an easier game unless something counters that like stronger enemies and the like.

As I've said, I have mixed feelings on the two right now. I would like to see full Heart Containers in the game to collect, but I expect that there will be Pieces of Heart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom