• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Halo 4 or Borderlands 2

so lets just say ive been looking forward to halo 4 for a long time now and i have saved up my money to buy the game. however a lot of my friends have been wanting me to pick up borderlands 2 and after watching some reviews and seeing some gameplay footage I would say that i want this game just as much as halo 4. so i need some advice from the interwebs which game should i get?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly from what I've seen, Borderlands 2 looks to give the most expansive, fun multiplayer oriented experience. Compare that to Halo 4, which from what I've seen is a single player-geared experience with multiplayer undertones. But, if you've been looking forward to Halo 4, I'd recommend you pick that up before Borderlands 2; you never know if BL2 could bore you to death!

I trust you'll make a good decision either way, though!

Look at my avatar and call me biased all you want but Halo 4 is definitely the superior game. 343 Industries has reworked the entire Halo franchise from the ground up. Even the iconic religious themed music has been revamped for a more grandiose, epic feel this time around.

What more could you ask for from Halo 4? After five years of industry dormancy, Master Chief is back; the AI Cortana has entered a state of rampant insanity for being in commission too long; a new brand of enemies on a new planet are present-the Prometheans and Requiem, respectively; new guns and vehicles spice up the package; Spartan Ops is a deal sweetener. The game's ending will have you on the edge of your seat. I don't hesitate for even a moment to call Halo 4 the best game of 2012.

Ventus said:
Compare that to Halo 4, which from what I've seen is a single player-geared experience with multiplayer undertones.

Dude, Halo is the series which defined modern console online infrastructure as we know it today. With Halo 4 the campaign is at the top notch par set by Combat Evolved while the cooperative and competitive multiplayer components continue to advance the industry.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Halo 4 is an amazing cinematic experience and arguably the best Halo to date, but Borderlands 2 offers a much more intricate and engaging FPS experience. It's system is much deeper and fleshed-out as compared to Halo 4's, almost to the point where it makes Halo 4 look like an average run-of-the-mill shooter like Call of Duty. (At least in my opinion.)

But, like Ventus said, if you've been looking forward to Halo 4, go ahead and get it first.

Dude, Halo is the series which defined modern console online infrastructure as we know it today. With Halo 4 the campaign is at the top notch par set by Combat Evolved while the cooperative and competitive multiplayer components continue to advance the industry.

And Zelda is the series that defined the Adventure genre as we know it today. What's your point?

And Zelda is the series that defined the Adventure genre as we know it today. What's your point?

Comparing Borderlands 2 to Halo 4 is like comparing distilled wine with the pure substance. Borderlands 2 definitely has the sophomore surge advantage-the substantial rise in critical reception between the first game in a franchise and its sequel, if well produced-but Halo continues to offer the best alien shooter experience on the market and although the multiplayer has strayed away from its simple roots, the game is hardly as watered down as Call of Duty.

In making an analogy to the Action-Adventure genre, Halo 4 is similar to The Legend of Zelda: Skyward, another great installment from a long running franchise, whereas Borderlands 2 can be related to Assassin's Creed, a newer, fresher entree and a rather unconventional twist on a genre. Of course it ultimately boils down to personal preference and I find myself on the traditionalist side of the spectrum.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Comparing Borderlands 2 to Halo 4 is like comparing distilled wine with the pure substance. Borderlands 2 definitely has the sophomore surge advantage-the substantial rise in critical reception between the first game in a franchise and its sequel, if well produced-but Halo continues to offer the best alien shooter experience on the market and although the multiplayer has strayed away from its simple roots, the game is hardly as watered down as Call of Duty.

1.) This doesn't change the fact that just because Halo defined multiplayer as we know it today doesn't automatically make it the best.

2.) I said Halo 4 in comparison to Borderlands 2 is like Call of Duty, not that it's as basic as.

1.) This doesn't change the fact that just because Halo defined multiplayer as we know it today doesn't automatically make it the best.

2.) I said Halo 4 in comparison to Borderlands 2 is like Call of Duty, not that it's as basic as.

Of course no one will have the same personal preference or view what the "best" game is in any given category but rather what a player values most from a game should be weighed in assessing which title is the optimal purchase.

In comparing Halo to Borderlands, you forget the two shooters endeavor to accomplish a drastically different end. Halo is more arcade oriented in its style-progressing to the end of a course while finding a few hidden goodies along the way and earning achievements. Borderlands 2 isn't so much about making it from Point A to Point B mowing down baddies but exploring an open world and earning experience with various guns in your arsenal. The two experiences aren't entirely comparable as I suggested with my Zelda-Assassin's Creed analogy above.

I honor your opinion and in my original reply to Ventus I simply desired to highlight Halo's rich multiplayer heritage. You are allowed to favor Borderlands and I Halo 4 and we both go our separate ends.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I honor in your opinion and in my original reply to Ventus I simply desired to highlight Halo's rich multiplayer heritage. You are allowed to favor Borderlands and I Halo 4 and we both go our separate ends.

I wasn't even trying to argue which of the two is better with you. I was just pointing out that saying that Halo defined multiplayer as we know it today wasn't a valid argument in the slightest towards it being a superior game. The past doesn't define the present.

yeah i guess you cant really compare the two games and i suppose eventually ill have both in my collection but i dont know i like the chief and i own every halo game up to this point but borderlands seems to offer something i havent seen in video games in a very long time. a broad open expansive world and a villain who does nothing but try to tear you down the entire game with his constant insults and thats something i wish video games would do more of. then again....i do like halo....alot.....even though i suffer from massive gamer rage on legendary and thats the only mode i play on.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
even though i suffer from massive gamer rage on legendary and thats the only mode i play on.

Ooh, I hear you there man! I always play the hardest modes available, but subsequently scream and do other antics because of the flow of madness and anger that enters my mind. You'll die a lot in Borderlands 2, and likely the same with Halo 4...important thing is to have fun! The gameplay of both feels really different despite both being shooters. So yeah, I stand on my previous opinion and say buy Halo 4 first since you've been anticipating it for a while now!

I wasn't even trying to argue which of the two is better with you. I was just pointing out that saying that Halo defined multiplayer as we know it today wasn't a valid argument in the slightest towards it being a superior game. The past doesn't define the present.

Halo embraces the core ideal of never basing present advances and accomplishments on past achievements. Halo arguably hasn't been the best looking game on Xbox since Halo 2 and the series finally reclaimed the title this year. Microsoft and 343 Industries clearly put a lot of effort into the game. As I mentioned earlier, the music has been redone from the ground up; a new slew of enemies, guns, and vehicles are present; Spartan Ops extends intense enemy frays for 10 weeks after original release.

With established franchises like Halo it's a marvel to observe minor alterations over the years and realize how the series has progressed. Compare Halo 4 to Halo: Combat Evolved and you're left wondering if it's the same franchise anymore bar the presence of the major characters in both. People initially always appear to favor new franchises as they complain about industry stalwarts. Look no further than The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword itself. The game was praised by fans far and low, however, critics were a bit more sour awarding it with a slowly lower average for they dismissed it on the exterior for having the same solid foundation without glossing over the finer details.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
While both being shooters, they're different types of games. Borderlands 2 is more co op and RPG based, might I add it also has a great sense of humor. Halo 4 is a serious type of game, pretty much all about multiplayer once you complete the campaign.

My opinion, Borderlands 2 is a much better game. I've got about 50+ hours on it, and still play it. I'm not into competitive multiplayer when it comes to shooters, so for me all Halo 4 really had was the campaign. Ever since I completed it I have not felt like playing it again.

Kirino

Tatakae
I haven't played Halo 4, but Borderlands 2 is an excellent game. It has some of the best co-op i've ever seen, it's hilarious, the main villain is excellent, and it has hours, upon hours (upon hours) of content. If you don't play multiplayer much, I would get Borderlands. I'm also getting Halo 4 eventually, as it still seems like a really fun game.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I personally prefer halo, but I have to say out of the shooters I've played, Ghost Recon future soldier takes my heart.
ghost-recon-future-soldier_title.jpg

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Having never played or even been slightly interested in Borderlands 2, I can say with a 100% unbiased opinion that Halo 4 is the better option :D

ALIT was saying Halo defined multiplayer to indicate how it isn't "a single player-geared experience with multiplayer undertones," as Ventus said. He wasn't trying to say Halo was best for multiplayer because of that, just that multiplayer is the focus of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom