• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo in Twilight Princess?

H

Hero of Storms2

The only Gerudo I know in Twilight Princess is Ganondorf but along with ZeldaHunter's theory I do think they killed all of the Gerudo's but I think they killed all the Gerudo's before Ganondorf realized it(which he never did) or he just didn't care about them anymore.

I find this an interesting debate.

I also think the Twili are not the Gerudo. The only arguments that support the Gerudo=Twili theory are the red hair and the fact that Zant has a Gerudo symbol on his outfit.
I think the red hair aren't that convincing. Have you seen the change from Zora to Ruto? There is only one conclusion you can draw from such a dramatic change: that all Zelda theory with the word "evolution" in it, has no value, since there isn't any logic in Zelda games regarding "evolution" :)

The Gerudo symbol on Zants outfit is probably just there because he got his magic from Ganondorf. Someone countered this argument by pointing out that Zant was wearing the same outfit during the scene in which he met Ganondorf, which is logically speaking a solid point. However, I don't think Nintendo found this little detail important enough to alter his outfit for that scene.

The main reason I believe the Twili are not the Gerudo are the following:
- Midna stated several times that Zant was using a "different kind of magic", which he turned out to have gotten from Ganondorf. So however Ganondorf was banned to the Twilight Realm (in an impulsive act from the sages) he still was 'different' from the other Twili.
- Not only was his magic different, also his appearance is completely different from the Twili. So the only confirmed-to-be Gerudo in the game doesn't even slightly resemble Midnas true form or any other Twili.

I think these two points are solid enough to debunk the whole Twili = Gerodu theory.

Perhaps after Skyward Sword will be released we will see that the whole 'Ghirahim Tribe'/dark interlopers makes a striking resemblance to the Twili and conclude that the Twili actually were the dark interlopers. We'll have to wait.

I feel the Gerudo were left out of the game for no real reason to be honest. I wouldn't even be surprised if they were just tossed out of the equation of the last minute, considering there is a Gerudo-themed dungeon, there is a Gerudo's Desert, and there is the whole beta of the Spirit Temple you see from the Mirror Chamber

Ganondork

goo
To be honest, I was never bothered by the lack of the Gerudo tribe in Twilight Princess. I was so grateful towards the nice graphics and the cool new look to the Zoras and Gorons that I basically forgot about the existence of the Gerudos for a little bit.

There is little explanation as to why they don't make an appearance in the game, but I see about three different possibilities as to why they didn't appear. First of all is Nintendo just didn't want to implement them, or they just forgot about the tribe entirely. Of course, I don't mean they forgot about the existence of the tribe itself, I mean they were too busy thinking about the other elements they wanted to put into the game that they ended up ignoring the possibility of the Gerudos being in the game and just continued on the other matters. Or of course, they may have just not seen a bright future for the tribe as a whole and decided just not to put them in at all.

Next up is the idea that the Dark Interlopers basically killed off the entire tribe. Midna talked about the Dark Interlopers in the Gerudo Desert, and the Mirror of Twilight are located in the Gerudo Desert so it's very much possible that they lived there. It seems to me that the Dark Interlopers have a hostile background to them and they just decided there was no real use for the Gerudo tribe. Or perhaps there was a population issue in the area, and a war followed this. The Dark Interlopers clearly won the war if that is the case. Or of course, there may have been some other form of conflict, perhaps of religion (if either of the tribes have religion), it isn't uncommon at all to have wars of things such as religion.

My final theory as to why they weren't in Twilight Princess is that the Gerudo are the Dark Interlopers. There is very few evidence behind this claim other than the location of the Dark Interlopers being the same as the Gerudo tribe. Due to the altitude difference from the Gerudo Desert (Link needs a cannon to reach the desert) and the rest of Hyrule, they couldn't partake in their usual thieving ways, so they developed a new culture. With this possibility, they began to do things that resulted in them being banished by the Goddesses to the Twilight Realm where they later became the Twili.

My final theory as to why they weren't in Twilight Princess is that the Gerudo are the Dark Interlopers. There is very few evidence behind this claim other than the location of the Dark Interlopers being the same as the Gerudo tribe. Due to the altitude difference from the Gerudo Desert (Link needs a cannon to reach the desert) and the rest of Hyrule, they couldn't partake in their usual thieving ways, so they developed a new culture. With this possibility, they began to do things that resulted in them being banished by the Goddesses to the Twilight Realm where they later became the Twili.
I like this, In OoT and even MM, the Gerudos have what I view as quite a significant hatred towards outsiders of any kind (for example, the carpenters). I always thought they did something to the King of Hyrule that would of gotten them banished, considering their side-hatred for men as well. But being separated from Hyrule certainly leaves them plenty of room for making mischief and what not, so I like this idea.

I've posted in this thread before but whatever.

Anyway, I think there were Gerudo in Twilight Princess. When you enter the Gerudo Desert, it kind of looks like the desert in Ocarina of Time (near the Spirit Temple.) So I think that after Ganondorf broke from his seal in Ocarina of Time, he searched for the Triforce again. He went to Gerudo Valley to get revenge on his home town for betraying him (by letting Link in their membership) and sent Bulblin to overun the valley. After they did this they turned it into Gerudo Desert and guarded the Mirror of Twilight. But then Link steps in and... well... you know.

L

Linkon

Descendant theory

I love that theory that Telma, Agatha and the fortune teller are descendants of Gerudo, Korkiri and Sheikah because of their attributes and and the 3 coloured dots on their face..red, green and purple

Wow, I can't believe some people are debating about Gerudo being Twili.:P That doesen't work, Gerudo dont have magic, as for dieing out, thats a possibility but it could be this.
The shiekah have magic, and red eyes, they seem to be missing kinda during OoT and MM. They might have gone because they were attacking with Ghirahim in SS.:facepalm: That is why I think shiekah are the Twili.

B

BrandonBrownson

Now hang on a second, I think that writing off the Gerudo's evolution into the Twili just like that is a bit illogical! As has been pointed out, it is possible that the prolonged exposure to the Twilight Realm could very well have changed their skin colors. What we have to remember is that the events of OOT and TP could have been hundreds, if not thousands of years apart, meaning that they would have had time for their genetics to adapt to the new world that they lived in. You guy's say that the Twili's use of magic is the reason that the Gerudo couldn't be the Twili, since only three Gerudo ever used magic. However, those three characters prove that the Gerudo are capable of using magic, so using that as a reason that the two can't be one and the same is illogical!

As for the actions, personalities and customs, think of it this way; if somebody plucked you out of your house in the suburbs/cities and threw you into the middle of the jungle, wouldn't you have to change some of your actions and customs in order to adapt to the new world that you live in? Of course you would! As for personality, you'd be shocked what hundreds (if not Thousands) of years in exile could do to you!

I'm not trying to discredit the possibility that the Gerudo might have died out, because it's very valid, but writing off the evolution theory as simple as that seems to be a little bit silly go me! Especially since the Zora-to-Rito theory is so widely accepted. I'm pretty sure that the idea of Desert people evolving into Twilight-Realm people is a LOT more believable then Fish evolving into Birds. Just sayin'

G

GreenKangaroo

Surely all gerudo are female a part from ganondorf and every hundred odd years. So it makes sense when i say that they would of died of since the he was sealed away in the twilight realm and couldn't mate. therefore no new gerudo could be born unless they're all lesbiens and could make a baby somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The Gerudos were not in Twilight Princess because they are a nomadic tribe. They wandered the wasteland until food grew scarce for them, which wouldn't be hard to imagine considering the supposed gap of centuries between TP and OoT. This, or they died out from starvation, or were possibly slain by King Bulbo's forces, who now inhabited their fortress, which I believe is Arbiter's Grounds. Whatever cult the Bulbins worshiped might have included dark magics, which is how they tortured the prisoners (the Gerudos) there.

And this is quite possible since the Mirror of Twilight is hidden there. Any player of Twilight Princess will recall that the Chamber of the Sages is exactly where Ganondorf was imprisoned in the Mirror. Remembering this, Ganondorf could have sent Bulbins to overrun the grounds in search of it. I believe he was successful, because the Mirror was split into four and hidden in Temples, "protected" by the guardians there. This may have been due to Zant going around and doing his own business, and Ganon figured he meant to topple him.

In the long run this all evidences that the Gerudo Tribe either left or died out from whatever cause. But just because the wasteland in TP is called "Gerudo Desert" doesn't mean they have to be in the game. Its name could remain the same even if something superseded its original residents.

/tangent

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I find this an interesting debate.

I also think the Twili are not the Gerudo. The only arguments that support the Gerudo=Twili theory are the red hair and the fact that Zant has a Gerudo symbol on his outfit.
I think the red hair aren't that convincing. Have you seen the change from Zora to Ruto? There is only one conclusion you can draw from such a dramatic change: that all Zelda theory with the word "evolution" in it, has no value, since there isn't any logic in Zelda games regarding "evolution" :)

The Gerudo symbol on Zants outfit is probably just there because he got his magic from Ganondorf. Someone countered this argument by pointing out that Zant was wearing the same outfit during the scene in which he met Ganondorf, which is logically speaking a solid point. However, I don't think Nintendo found this little detail important enough to alter his outfit for that scene.

The main reason I believe the Twili are not the Gerudo are the following:
- Midna stated several times that Zant was using a "different kind of magic", which he turned out to have gotten from Ganondorf. So however Ganondorf was banned to the Twilight Realm (in an impulsive act from the sages) he still was 'different' from the other Twili.
- Not only was his magic different, also his appearance is completely different from the Twili. So the only confirmed-to-be Gerudo in the game doesn't even slightly resemble Midnas true form or any other Twili.

I think these two points are solid enough to debunk the whole Twili = Gerodu theory.

Perhaps after Skyward Sword will be released we will see that the whole 'Ghirahim Tribe'/dark interlopers makes a striking resemblance to the Twili and conclude that the Twili actually were the dark interlopers. We'll have to wait.

Oh really, i don't think those are the only arguments to support the theory. Have you even concidered the location of arbiter grounds? And that location does not fall under the protection of the 4 spirits in the game. And if the gerudo was not banished, then who is? The first thing what comes in my mind is the gerudo. Also the line of midna before she kills zant is another indication; "Do you forget that our ancestors lost their king to such greed?". High possibilty that this king is ganondorf.

As for the gerudo symbol on zant, i really doubt thats just a mistake of nintendo.

As for your main reasons. Its obvious that ganondorf did not became a twili, so of course its a different kind of magic. He still is the same ganondorf of OOT. And he was banished waaaaaaaaay later. Nobody stated that Ganondorf became a twili.

The fused shadow is also a different kind of magic, midna called it ancient magic of ancestors. But still it shares simliar properties as midna's current magic.
Same goes for ganondorf, with the warping partical effects when possesing zelda. And since zant is the host of ganondorf's magic, he is also the cause of that shadow crystal like thing that transformed link into a wolf. So basicly thats also ganondorfs magic, is it not? So exactly why has ganondorf that kinda magic?

One other thing, why do most people think that all the twili can use magic? We only saw midna and zant using it, and zant got his from ganondorf. Maybe zant could not use magic in the first place. The only male twili that has been confimed is zant itself. Maybe thats why zant felt like he deserved to be the king.

Don't debunk this theory so easly yet, because i find your arguments weak to support your statements. To be exact, you are only pointing out the flaws. There a so many indications to support this theory. Even if you balance out the indications with the flaws, its still is a strong theory. There is no zelda game without flaws. Even with the split timeline that already has been conformed by nintendo still has so many flaws that actually makes alot of thing illogical.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Also the line of midna before she kills zant is another indication; "Do you forget that our ancestors lost their king to such greed?". High possibilty that this king is ganondorf.
That was mistranslated. Two more accurate translations:
I’ll tell you why you weren’t recognized as leader…It was those eyes! It was because desire lurks in the depths of your eyes and the king feared one who would be ruled by power like the ancient clan was.
I'll have you know... The reason why you were not accepted in the position of the leader is your eyes! Because the king feared that desire lying hidden in your pupils, due to which the clan of ancient times got controlled by power!
As you can see, both refer only to the previous king, who is afraid of Zant being controlled by power. This is obviously not Ganondorf. In the past, the entire clan was ruled by power, not just a leader - no leader was mentioned in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom