• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gameplay, Story, Graphics, or Controls

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Graphics. If I don't like what I see, I'm not gonna play it.
Story. Meh, I could careless in most cases, except for a raer selda and those other exceptions like Kingdom Hearts series (plot driven games need a good plot, darnit).
Gameplay. Broken gameplay means no game, amirite?
Controls. Horrible controls means no game as well.

I'd say gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. Controls can be spot on but what if the enemy AI is braindead? The story can't compensate for my not enjoying the game. Graphics definitely won't.

Dan

De-finely gameplay. It's what I play games for in the first place. I think A link in time put it best with his super mario bros example. A game can flourish into a brilliant series with superb gameplay alone. Another example I can give are the Spyro, crash and early sonic games. None really had a deep story but amazing gameplay. Although they had beautiful graphics.

If a game has gameplay that is so exciting and deep and holds your interest. Then Story and graphics aren't needed. Yet you can not have a game with superb story and crummy gameplay. Same goes for graphics. Gameplay will always be the key element.

Teron

van der Nguyen
If the game lacks either story (if it has it) or gameplay, I would most likely not play it; bad controls are rarely a problem for me, since I can mostly get used to them - but there's a decent amount of exceptions, such as shooters for touch devices.
As for graphics, if they are nice, it's definitely a good thing, and if they aren't so much, I'm usually fine with that. Sometimes, though, they are too buggy.

Big Octo

=^)
Story is the most inportant part of a game I know that id rather play mario if Zelda didnt have one of the most complicated storys of all time. the Story can make up for any or all of the other facter before mentioned but if the story sucks i dont think good graphics will save it.

I'd actually like to mention that by Video Game standards, Zelda doesn't really have a complicated or "good" story. Though this at first sounds completely opinionated, when comparing it to other games, you'll see the difference. If you really want to see a game with a complicated story, play KH.

I think the most important aspects are the gameplay, controls and story. You need to have gameplay that flows well with the genre, and the controls must also be easy to access and memorize. A good story is also needed, because without a decent story, the game will suffer badly. Graphics aren't really that important. Sure, they've improved a lot over the years, but they don't need to be the best to make the game.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Gameplay is the most important part of a game, it defines the experience.
Controlls are also important, it's frustrating to play a game where the controlls are horrible.
Story can be considered very important or not at all important depending on the game and what it's trying to convey.
Now to Graphics, they aren't nearly important as the other three points (I still enjoy NES and SNES games and look at them), but it is nice to have something visually stunning to observe while you progress through your game. People that play games just because they have stunning visuals may as well just go and watch a high budget hollywood film.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I can't really give a strait opinion what the most important aspect is. IMO, a good game must have a proper balance in all aspects rather then focusing more on a single aspect. If one aspect of the game really sucks, it can ruin the whole game.

For example the JRPG genre (because this genre needs a proper balance to make it a good game)

Final Fantasy XIII - Cool story, awsome graphics and cinematics. But IMO gameplay sucked big time. The whole game was liniar, which isnt nessecarily a bad thing but... why even bother to make a make a half-assed roam system with a couple of enemies ans orbs in it. The battle system is all about auto attack, no sense of satisfaction because you are barely making an effort.

Xenoblade Chronicles - Some of the ZD members already know that i totally love this JRPG. This game has a proper balance in all aspects. Even though the graphics has its limitation because of the Wii, doesnt mean that the graphics is entirely bad. There is free roam in this game and still follows a epic main storyline with a proper balance of cutscenes and all. And the cutscenes are not cinematic with a huge obvious difference of quality. The gameplay in this game is awsome, combining real time with turn based mechanics that actually work and gives a good satisfaction after every battle. And as a bonus, there is alot of replay value in the game.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
A lot of great games consist of these, but they are not reliant on them as a whole. These elements make up the game for what it is, and even when one aspect is outright terrible there is nearly always a redeeming factor in the others. A title can solely run on, say, gameplay, whereas it might have very poor graphics or isn't backed up by a story of any sort. And this may revolve around any of these traits.

Gameplay/Controls - I consider these to be similar enough that they are the same concept, because the controls affect how the game is played. Anyhow, I deem them to be the most essential quality by defining casual or hardcore for a game. For example, Yoshi's Story, a casual experience, runs on simple gameplay and linear exploration, whereas a 'hardcore' title like Call of Duty centers on the player's awareness and quickness at the controls. But they are more than just difficulty. They also help determine the level of immersion that a player will go through. Zelda always pulls this off with a perfect balance of additional features (free roaming to name one) which assist the [more-often-than-not] compatible duo of gameplay and controls.

Story - It's very tough to get a good fix on what makes a story in video games. There are too many variances in gaming to begin with. You have those that move on a straight-up plotline (Assassin's Creed), those that advance from one scenario to the other through stages/levels (Mario), and those that have virtually no story at all (Mario Kart). My favorites are those which combine a remarkable story with amazing gameplay, as The Legend of Spyro trilogy did. It had some poignant character development as well, which made the saga all the better. A game isn't necessitated to be story-driven, nevertheless, in order for it to be good. Franchises like Kirby's hold up great without a dedicated plotline guiding it through to the end.

Graphics - The world in a game is a top factor to how it will function and come to look like. I've seen really beautiful realms produced aesthetically, from the colorful vision of Okami to the exquisite realism of the Halo series. It's an understatement so say that visuals are only good for making the game look good, because they're main objective is to set the tone, create an atmosphere which is enjoyable to take part in. Unfortunately that is greatly reversed by a majority of gamers who claim that graphics are everything. But they are not everything for me; and nor are they the most crucial element. As much as they're useful for giving the game it's appearance, I've always found more gusto in how it played.

As an adage of mine goes, I would rather play a game with terrific controls and poor graphics than a game with awesome graphics and horrendous gameplay. Story, at its core, plays less of a role than both of these, but it benefits the game best when it doesn't interfere too much with lengthy cutscenes so that the three of these can work together in unison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom