• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gameplay, Story, Graphics, or Controls

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Depends on what the game is. If it's a series like Mario or Zelda, gameplay and controls are definitely the most important factors. Graphics -- which are secondary in any game -- and story are just compliments to everything else. If it's a series like Max Payne or Uncharted, story would be the most important factor, as the gameplay would be a compliment to it. Then you have series like Kingdom Hearts where both story and gameplay are important. It's all about the games themselves. There's no set formula for what a game should and shouldn't be in terms of what's most important. (Controls should always be solid, though.)

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Gameplay and controls are the foundations with which a good game is built, the story gives it purpose. How it looks will affect whether it is bought or not and whether you will be completely satisfied with it.

All are important and the right balance determines how good the game is.

Shadow Mori

the shadow of the moon
Story is the most inportant part of a game I know that id rather play mario if Zelda didnt have one of the most complicated storys of all time. the Story can make up for any or all of the other facter before mentioned but if the story sucks i dont think good graphics will save it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I should point out that while "Graphics don't matter!" is a popular mantra, I dare anyone to play the Myst games--where graphics are absolutely central--and still cling to that myth.

I would never say graphics don't matter. They do. They're just not the absolute most important thing evar in any video game. Even Myst. They're more important than usual in those games, but I doubt anyone would say they're the most important factor. If that were the case, the (most likely) games wouldn't be any good.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
While it somewhat depends on the genre, gameplay is by far the most important factor in video games. It's the main focus of the game and the center of enjoyment, whereas graphics and story can come later. Think of them as the icing on the cake; a game with amazing gameplay, complimented with awesome graphics, great story, and solid controls. But what's noticed first? It should be obvious.

Some gamers rating what they play often start with graphics or story. Though they do contribute to a game's overall quality, prioritizing them over gameplay may lead to the neglecting of a solid review. When focusing on the foundation of the game, a stronger view can easily be formed.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It depends on what the game is trying to achieve, but other than that, every aspect matters equally. Gameplay, Graphics, etc. need to flow in harmony in order to define the game as a work of art. Each one is just as important as the other.

As far as I'm concerned about games, Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game and Graphics is the least important aspect of any game. I think people care too much about graphics then anything, all I keep hearing about over the Internet is HD and all that stuff.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I would never say graphics don't matter. They do. They're just not the absolute most important thing evar in any video game. Even Myst. They're more important than usual in that game, but I doubt anyone would say they're the most important factor. If that were the case, the game wouldn't be any good.

Fair point. For the record, I wasn't addressing you, just a general claim I tend to see a lot in these sorts of threads.

I still hesitate to make blanket statements, but gameplay is the defining aspect of a video game, so it's certainly important, and may generally be the most important.

Well gameplay and controls pretty much go together soooo:

Gameplay/Controls > Story > Graphics

But it really does depend on the game. Shadow of the Colossus has a simple, but powerful story, and a bland, but engrossing atmosphere.

Plus, you really should add music into the mix because that's the top thing I look for next to gameplay.

Gameplay shall always be the core foundation of any vidogame. Take the example of Super Mario Bros. The graphics are crude, there is virtually no story, and the controls are limited to two buttons and a D-pad. The reason the title revolutionized the industry, however, was through its seamless and addicting platforming.

That said, I am in full agreement with JuicieJ that the most important aspect to any videogame depends on the experience and the immersion the developers wanted to achieve. Take the example of MGS 4. The stealth certainly could have been smoother but what it delivered was a cinematic story and for that it remains a hallmark for gaming.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Gameplay is definitely the biggest factor for me. I want it to play good(controls) and be fun. A game is nothing without gameplay. That is its main purpose. I love story but that always takes a backseat to gameplay. I feel graphics are important but it also depends on the game. The Wii doesn't use high def and yet it still manages to pull off having good quality games, though certain games really suffer due to it. Like most have said, it really depends on the game when considering which is most important

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
All of them are important. Each plays a vital role. They're different, that doesn't make one more important than the other.
Here they are, in no particular order:
  • The graphics have to be well done. Note that well-done is not the same thing as realistic. You can have well-done graphics that are completely cartoonish.
  • Story has to be well written and make sense in the context of the theme that is trying to be presented and the story has to pay attention to itself instead of completely contradicting itself for no reason (Mass Effect 3 ending for example).
  • Gameplay has to work well and not hinder the user in any way.
  • Controls need to be practical and not rely exclusively on gimmicks. If it does, players unable to physically handle them are excluded and third party developers have a harder time justifying the expense of making a game, or porting it to, a system.
All of these aspects are vital and it isn't a question of which is more important. Without one of them, the rest do not mean anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom