• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forest Temple..and Poes?

Austin

Austin
They fit in with the overall atmosphere of the temple, imo. As for what connection they have to the "forest" element, I haven't a clue.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I have an explanation. "Forest" is supposed to be like life. Trees, grass, other plants, they all come from the forest. In addition to that, the forest in this game could also represent innocence, Link grew up there and the Kokiri are forever children and forever naive. The poes, as ghost, are the exact opposite of this, they are the bane of life. Going through death, they wouldn't be all that innocent either. The Forest Temple was all out of whack, like Saria said. Having poes wandering about the Temple and screwing around with Link demonstrates this.

Of course, that could just be me thinking too hard.

Starchain1

A star
Dude I agree with PJEP 100% it makes since that he lived in Koriki and maybe they were the past children that link knew and they were just messing with him

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I always thought that the poes and stalfoes in the Forest Temple were related to one of two reasons.

One: Ganondorf put them there, just like he did the Phantom Ganon.

Two: That Kokiri girl said that all those who get lost in the Lost Woods become Stalfoes or otherwise die (I'm thinking maybe poes are the spirits of the dead and redeads, gibdos, stalfoes etc are the remains animated by evil magic). Perhaps when Ganon cursed the forest all those nasty spirits and whatnot decided to concentrate at the source of the evil magic in the Forest Temple.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
i agree with xinnamin because the lost woods was a place of death none could enter without dying in there the stalfos are easy to explain (dead people) but the poe sisters tie in with the theme of the temple and also because the temple fell into ruin (evidenced by link having to hookshot to the entrance) so maybe a past hero got in there and got killed or some explorers. also those who are a fan of little women the book the poe sisters are named form that. one last thing mieg in the main room is she laughing or crying coz you killed her sises

Last edited:

Din Akera

Sniper
Xinnamin stole the words right out of my mouth!
Yes, I would agree that it would relate to the idea of "everybody stalfos, everybody stalfos" (she freaks me out by the way). I would even stretch it and say the bones/stalfos are what is left of the bodies and the ghosts/poes are what's left of the souls.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, the entire theme of the Forest Temple seems to be spiritual undeath and distortion (lots of Stalfos, Bubbles, Skulltulas, Poes, Phantom Ganon, well-hidden switches, unusual mechanisms, and hallways that twist). Not in the same way as the Shadow Temple (which is about physical undeath and illusion), but it's still there. It has this oddly gothic "artsy haunted castle" theme going for it. Poes definitely fit the theme of the the Temple.

Why did they call it the Forest Temple? Aside from the fact that it's in the forest, I really don't see why myself. You could just as easily have called it the "Abandoned Castle" or "Lost Temple." Most other forest levels have a more "forest" theme, even OoT's own Deku Tree. My own theory is that perhaps that was what they originally replaced Hyrule Castle with rather than Ganon's Castle. Later on, they didn't feel like making a Forest Temple, so they just used it there instead. I have no idea, really. It could even be a generic temple they made as a "backup" in case they ran out of time. There's no telling with developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom