• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fi or Phi?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
This may be a really stupid question but, I have noticed that the spelling changes on some websites I have been to. Could this be a region thing?

In the game I have, it is most definately Fi although I remember someone posting something in a thread earlier on when Skyward Sword was first released about if Fi was more annoying than Navi
Fi has these speeches that make me go insane every time I have to go back because I didn't save, which happens alot. (and isn't Fi spelled phi?)

I just dismissed it until tonight when I saw this:
Ashley said:
No, she is not. The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword is set to take place before The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which came before The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Although, you will be accompanied by a new character by the name of Phi, who lives in the Skyward Sword. (SOURCE:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...a4XngUMjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20120220122412AA9zIxi
).

Which brings me back to my question: Fi or Phi and why is there a difference in the spelling?

Last edited:

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I have no idea. I always assumed it was Fi. That's what my game says also and everywhere I've checked it's always been Fi. So it's a possibility that it could be a localization thing.

Pen

The game is on!
In all of the Skyward Sword copies with English language her name is Fi, spelled F I. I think that before the game was released there were some struggle whether it was spelled Fi or Phi, that might be why some people kept the spelling Phi. However, the correct English spelling is Fi.

The pronunciation of her name remains a mystery though. Is it Fee or Fye? I prefer Fee, but we can't know for sure...

Well, many (if not most) spelled her name as Phi in the beginning. It was later officially confirmed to be spelled Fi. From this, I would assume this is simply a scenario in which some stuck with the former spelling (Phi), while others adapted the newer one (Fi). Although, as the OP mentions, this could extend to regional preference as well, though, this may not necessarily be the case in this instance. Some examples of regional preferences include such instances as... Demise being referred to as der Todbringer and Twinrova being referred to as Sexy Thermo Hexy (seriously) in the German versions of their respective games. See the differences? Anyway, keep in mind it could also boil down to common error.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Some examples of regional preferences include such instances as... Demise being referred to as der Todbringer and Twinrova being referred to as Sexy Thermo Hexy (seriously) in the German versions of their respective games.

So hilarious :D
Well, I am German, but this name is also for me complete new.

Phase 1: Hexen-Duo Koume & Kotake
Phase 2: Fusionierte Hexe: Sexy Thermo Hexy

Most of the names are different in other Regions. In Germany, Fi or Phi is called Phai. That's the name she is referred to in the German Version of Skyward Sword.

My favorite title of a Boss is this one: Großmeister des Bösen Ganondorf.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Fi's name went from Adelle/Adella to Zordianna to Phi, and then finally to Fi -- which is the only English spelling that I'm aware of. You might want to check the dates on those posts you quoted; if they're before Skyward Sword's release date, that would explain why they're questioning the spelling of Fi's name.

As for the pronunciation, as for almost everything in the Zelda series, you can't say for certain. Although, I remember a Nintendo rep confirming Fi's name is be pronounced as "Fye." But even Nintendo reps can be wrong, and it's not exactly like it matters anyway. XD

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
You might want to check the dates on those posts you quoted; if they're before Skyward Sword's release date, that would explain why they're questioning the spelling of Fi's name.

Both of them were after the release of Skyward Sword. The one From Yahoo! Answers is from less than 2 days ago.

As for the pronunciation, as for almost everything in the Zelda series, you can't say for certain. Although, I remember a Nintendo rep confirming Fi's name is be pronounced as "Fye."

That would unfortunately come down to having seen the Japanese version of Skyward Sword for me. If it really is written as フィ (fi) then it is pronounced as FEE. If it is written as ファイ (fai) it would be pronounce FYE.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
Φ = Phi in greek I am judging was what the name may/may not have been based off. However if my thought is correct フィ in Japanese is Fi so my guess and how I have always pronounced Fi's name in English is Fee (Fi) based on the greek/japanese pronunciation.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Φ = I have always pronounced Fi's name in English is Fee (Fi) based on the greek/japanese pronunciation.

I generally base my pronounciation on the Japanese syllabary but I have learnt never to really trust Nintendo's Anglicized spellings of the Japanese names because sometimes they spell it in such a way that people who don't know Japanese would pronounce the word in a similar way to the original Japanese pronounciation. Take for example "Hyrule Field". In Japanese it is ハイラル平原 (Hairaru Heigen). The other thing that they do is completely change the name of the character. Take for example Tatl and Tael. While in English they turned the two names into a pun, (put them together you get tatltael [tattletale]), Their Japanese names are チャット (Chatto) and トレイル (Toreiru) which sound nothing like their English counterparts.

So, if for Skyward Sword, they simply wrote Fi in romaji then it is FEE (which is how I have been pronouncing it) but conversely, it could be something completely different to the original Japanese.

Φ = Phi in greek I am judging was what the name may/may not have been based off. However if my thought is correct フィ in Japanese is Fi so my guess and how I have always pronounced Fi's name in English is Fee (Fi) based on the greek/japanese pronunciation.

This is what I think, too. To help make your head ok with it, think of the word pi (3.14 etc.) with an F. Same pronunciation.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
I generally base my pronounciation on the Japanese syllabary but I have learnt never to really trust Nintendo's Anglicized spellings of the Japanese names because sometimes they spell it in such a way that people who don't know Japanese would pronounce the word in a similar way to the original Japanese pronounciation. Take for example "Hyrule Field". In Japanese it is ハイラル平原 (Hairaru Heigen). The other thing that they do is completely change the name of the character. Take for example Tatl and Tael. While in English they turned the two names into a pun, (put them together you get tatltael [tattletale]), Their Japanese names are チャット (Chatto) and トレイル (Toreiru) which sound nothing like their English counterparts.

So, if for Skyward Sword, they simply wrote Fi in romaji then it is FEE (which is how I have been pronouncing it) but conversely, it could be something completely different to the original Japanese which is why I have the afformetioned Other Thread in order to try and maybe help standardise pronounciation.
I do agree with you on some level however, most katakana words are based off English words with a small exceptions (from the ones I know to be) such as パン. フィ to Fi or 'Fee' in Enlish is a pretty straight forward pronunciation and it isn't really hard to conclude the meaning where リンク or Link would be a bit more difficult based on the fact that Japanese do not have an 'L' word most of it is 'r~' ら、り、る、れ、ろ. As you said it may be in a way that some people would not recognise it. But as I did state I believe personally they based Fi's name off the Greek symbol/word Φ (Phi) and just slapped a kana name into it and thats how the name atleast may have been created if Fi/ Φ have some significance towards her character (in which this would be another topic and discussion etc).

However according to Zelda Wiki, Fi's Japanese name is: ファイ = Fai/Fay. Which to me sort of symbolises Faith or something. So um I don't really know any more. :/

僕は 日本語は へたです。だから、日本語を 教えることは しません。

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
most katakana words are based off English words with a small exceptions (from the ones I know to be) such as パン

I totally agree with this point as katakana is indeed the "alphabet", for lack of a better term, for all imported words into the Japanese language but this "alphabet is also used in manga and other writing where the author has invented a new word or named the character something that sounds Japanese but isn't.

I believe personally they based Fi's name off the Greek symbol/word Φ (Phi) and just slapped a kana name into it and thats how the name atleast may have been created if Fi/ Φ have some significance towards her character (in which this would be another topic and discussion etc).

Based off my reasons for the above, I think Fi's name is simply that - a made up name that sounds Japanese. However, I can definately see that your reasoning makes perfectly logical sense and that it may be significant to her, but as you said, for another thread!

However according to Zelda Wiki, Fi's Japanese name is: ファイ = Fai/Fay. Which to me sort of symbolises Faith or something. So um I don't really know any more.

If Zelda Wiki is 100% correct with the information then based off of the way Nintendo Anglicised it to Fi, it would most likely be pronounced as FYE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom