• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Video Gaming Genre

Favorite Genre

• Action - Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Causal

• Fighting

• First Person Shooter

• Hack and Slasher

• Puzzle

• Platformer

• Racing

• Sandbox

• Shooter (Other)

• Simulation

• Sports

• Strategy

• Survival Horror

• MMO

• Interactive

• Total voters

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Gaming in general is split up into genres which define the type of game at hand. Now while most games may be unique
to one another in a particular genre, they still follow some basic patterns and guidelines.

So what would you say your preference of genre is? Also explain why you picked that genre, maybe it is because that's the main one you play or it has particular characteristics that others don't etcetera. (Poll coming)

Zorth

#Scoundrel
oh god, this is like asking me who I love more.. mum or dad? :kawaii:

raaawr, depends on the situation..
Do I wanna chill and just relax with some friends; then FPS shooters like CoD, Quake, Counterstrike. Do I want to chill and relax just by myself; then Adventure/RPG games like Zelda, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR. Do I want some hardcore tactical teamplay; then I'll go with MMO's (end game, max level).

The FPS shooters I play there is no need for much seriousness, so you can pretty much be talking about your day and just have a laugh with mates without having to lose games. In adventure/rpg's I find the story and immersion to be part of the game, so I wouldn't want to sit and talk about something else not thinking about the game. The MMO end gameplay, raids/arenas/battleground etc. are pretty hard to beat so require intense team work which after hours of failing and finally killing a boss for example, can be the best feeling in the world. :D

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think my favourite genre would be Action RPG.

So, not an action game with RPG elements, an Action RPG, meaning the RPG and the action elements are balanced between eachother, since nowadays every game has some kind of basic leveling system but you need more than that! Games like Deus Ex, Diablo, The Witcher, Borderlands. I like the synergy between the 2 genre modes, it's exciting and gives a lot of depth, which is sometimes the 1 thing I feel is missing from action games. Games in this category also seem to be the best for choice, giving players choice in the storyline and branching options and paths. A non-linear story encouraging meaningful player choice is one of my favourite things that modern games are doing more now, brilliant.

Without a doubt, Action RPG. Bring on Witcher 3!

Salem

SICK
It's kinda hard to answer.

Maybe Platformers or Action-adventures for oversimplifications sake, both 2d and 3d ones.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't have a favorite genre; I try to play as many genres as I can. The one I'm most active in would be JRPGs though. ^^

Next up are SRPGs. :)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't think one video game genre is better than the others. I just play good games. I do play some genres more than others though. I'm voting Action-Adventure on the poll because I don't see RPGs on the poll, and I also play a lot of Adventure games.

Ganondork

goo
Well, I'd definitely have to say Survival Horrors and Psychological Thrillers. This genre is actually a sub-genre, seeing as though many of them are encompassed by other genres, but I digress.

Some people seem to not enjoy the feeling of helplessness as you struggle to reach the next checkpoint without running into any encounters that do you in, but I love it. In titles like Alan Wake, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and so forth, I find myself scrounging for anything I can find, and I love that. Another great title would be Dead Space 2. I haven't played the third one yet, but the second one was a fantastic example of Survival Horror at its finest. You hear scratching in the walls before they pop out, you watch helplessly as people aboard the ship are killed before your eyes, etc. It's really a great game.

I'd also say First Person Shooters are great. Some of my favorite games are First Person Shooters - Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, Portal, Half-Life - and really are just fantastic games. They're really not mindless games. I'm just getting into the Halo series, and I'm seeing just how much story there is to delve into.

Recently, I've also been getting interested in Platformers. It's far from my favorite genre, but it's a fun way to kill some time.

Turn-based RPGs are also great. Fire Emblem - which is a tactical, turn-based RPG - is fantastic. Off is currently my favorite turn-based RPG, with Pokemon at a close second. The original Final Fantasy was also a great game, but I'm still yet to have finished it, or played any of the sequels.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I love Action-Adventure games more than just about any other type of games. They seem to be brimming with the most fun-packed and varied gameplay of any in the industry, and many times they even have small sections of other genres in them as well, so they tend to be really well-rounded. Obviously Zelda games are my favorite of this genre, but really any games in it I tend to like.

Admittedly, though, a very close second is the Platformer genre. I grew up with these games and so they have a special place in my mind. I also tend to see platformers as gaming in its purest form. Whereas I get my fix of a well-told story with epic fights playing as a hero clad in green, I get my fix of pure fun as a giant ape smashing through the forests.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've gone through many phases over the course of my gaming life, so 'favorite genre' is context-dependent on time. Recently (no thanks to Merc introducing me to GoG.com) I'm getting back into old school super-hardcore cRPGs. The kind of games where you had to make your own dungeon maps and manage extraordinarily cryptic clues. Glorious.

videogamenerd10

Indigo Child
I personally like adventure games. Basically when you're put in this magical world where your awesome and stuff.

I personally feel like this whenever I'm playing adventure games.
[video=youtube;cHHYdHOl8mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHHYdHOl8mk[/video]

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I like Action Adventure games mostly. I'm terrible at platformers because my reflexes suck, and I'm no good at aiming so that rules out FPSs, and horror games scare me too much. I play a few simulation and fighting games, and dabble a bit in minecraft, but mostly Action Adventures for me.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I will always be a fan of Platformers. From classic games like DK64, SM64, and Banjo Kazooie, to more modern games like SMG and the Ratchet & Clank series. I love being able to travel between many different worlds, since it offers so many differences in scenery and gameplay.

DarkLink17

Well then
It's a pretty hard choice between RPG and Action/Adventure, but I have to go with the latter. Mainly because of Zelda, and that's really the only genre I mainly play. Mixed with a bit of Horror, Fighting, Shooter, RPG, and that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom