• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Famicom Voltage?

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Hey guys, I just picked up a Famicom for cheap and before I plug it in I wanted to know if it was safe to do so. In the USA (where I live) the voltage is 110-120, while in Japan it is 100 volts. This doesn't seem like a huge difference, but the fact that a clock made in the USA being used in Japan will quickly fall behind because it doesn't have enough power. This makes me a little cautious about plugging it in.

It came with the Japanese power cord which looks identical to the NES power cord and I was wondering if it mattered which one I should use and if I should use a voltage converter. I am almost positive that it doesn't matter, but I don't want to chance it.

If you have a Famicom please tell me what you know.

Yeah, it should work fine. You may want to invest in a step-down converter to lower the voltage that your Famicom is getting, though.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Thanks, I just remembered that I have a nice step-down converter from when we lived in Europe and I think I might be able to set the output at 100 volts. I think my parents have it, so I'll see if I can find it. If anyone else knows if it would be safe without a step-down converter please let me know, I really want to try this!

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
It seems that it is okay as long as you use the Famicom AC Adapter, not the NES version. There are rumors that this will slowly kill the power supply though. Does anyone know if this is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom