• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Evolution of Dodongo's

Remeber King Dodongo in oot my theory is that he was actually the ancestor of the dodongo's that you fought. This could explain why the they're so small in twilight princess.
What are your thoughts?

Wait, what? Size and what not doesn't matter. Remember the Peahats in The Wind Waker? The King Dodongo was just, well, the King Dodongo. Nothing more to it.

But Size does matter a great real world example of this is the alligator. Oh and BTW I haven't played ww yet :(

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
In a Universe built up on magic, enchanted beings and various tiers of Gods, I'm surprised how many people fall to evolution for the answer.

In a Universe built up on magic, enchanted beings and various tiers of Gods, I'm surprised how many people fall to evolution for the answer.
It is the rational mind trying to make sense of it all and frankly why zelda is so popular.

Another thought just came to me. In OOt Darunia states "Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern!" Of course he is talking about the dodongo's this means that the dodongo as a species has been around for a pretty long time what that means as far as the evolution of the dodongo is concerned I have no idea. Just thought it would be a good point to put out there.

Remeber King Dodongo in oot my theory is that he was actually the ancestor of the dodongo's that you fought. This could explain why the they're so small in twilight princess.
What are your thoughts?

Even if the time passed from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess was one thousand years or more, I doubt one would observe much change in the population's genetics. Evolutionary timescales generally start on the order of millions of years. It would be more likely that King Dodongo was a mutant individual. But as others have already stated, it doesn't matter, as he was supposed to be "King" Dodongo, and by extension much larger than others.

But Size does matter a great real world example of this is the alligator.

I'm not even sure what you're implying here.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
It's Hyrule which is a land where your wildest dreams happen. Real life, science, and common sense don't exist in here. He was bugger because he was king and if we saw the king of dodongos of TP I'm sure he would have been just as bug

I'm not even sure what you're implying here.

Here is an article by a Mr. Bob Strauss
http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typesofdinosaurs/a/crocodilians.htm
"About 100 million years ago, toward the middle of the Cretaceous period, some crocodiles had begun to imitate their dinosaur cousins by evolving to enormous sizes. The king of the Cretaceous crocodiles was the enormous Sarcosuchus, dubbed "SuperCroc" by the media, which measured about 40 feet long from head to tail and weighed in the neighborhood of 10 tons. And let's not forget the slightly smaller Deinosuchus, the "deino" in its name connoting the same concept as the "dino" in dinosaurs: "terrible" or "fearsome.""

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Now, unless I've missed something, many of the Dodongos are either followers of, or conjured by, Ganon(dorf). These feral beings, either way, are in an environment that works in their favour, what with (usually) being in volcanoes. Their food supplies are rarely depleted and their biggest predator is a frail-looking being often donning a green tunic. Not sure which part of evolution makes sense there.

This is why I feel that evolution as an answer kinda falls short. Not just in this case, either. In many cases of Hyrule's inhabitants their prayers are usually answered by higher deities. There are fairies near enough everywhere who grant magic and health to those who stumble upon them. There are a variety of enchanted areas used to protect or assist the natives of that area (Gerudo desert and Lost Woods come to mind). Various different tribes change shape in many ways, often than not in the same game (shrine maidens in FSA for instance) -- heck using dark magics can often shatter life-forms into various different shaped ones!

Why is evolution an acceptable answer when most of the beings are magic and those that are not are usually warped by magic in some way? Near as I can tell, the land of Hyrule doesn't apply to today's science, it applies to ye olde logic of days long before our generations. Where a crystal ball could show someone the future and certain people were capable of casting hexes. Even most of the technology the World holds doesn't run like their parallels in our World.

But then, maybe its just me. Zelda and evolution don't 'fit' in my head.

Now, unless I've missed something, many of the Dodongos are either followers of, or conjured by, Ganon(dorf). These feral beings, either way, are in an environment that works in their favour, what with (usually) being in volcanoes. Their food supplies are rarely depleted and their biggest predator is a frail-looking being often donning a green tunic. Not sure which part of evolution makes sense there.

This is why I feel that evolution as an answer kinda falls short. Not just in this case, either. In many cases of Hyrule's inhabitants their prayers are usually answered by higher deities. There are fairies near enough everywhere who grant magic and health to those who stumble upon them. There are a variety of enchanted areas used to protect or assist the natives of that area (Gerudo desert and Lost Woods come to mind). Various different tribes change shape in many ways, often than not in the same game (shrine maidens in FSA for instance) -- heck using dark magics can often shatter life-forms into various different shaped ones!

Why is evolution an acceptable answer when most of the beings are magic and those that are not are usually warped by magic in some way? Near as I can tell, the land of Hyrule doesn't apply to today's science, it applies to ye olde logic of days long before our generations. Where a crystal ball could show someone the future and certain people were capable of casting hexes. Even most of the technology the World holds doesn't run like their parallels in our World.

But then, maybe its just me. Zelda and evolution don't 'fit' in my head.
Ganondorf couldn't of created the Dodongo's In OOt Darunia states "Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern!" Of course he is talking about the dodongo's this means that the dodongo as a species has been around for a pretty long time. Further more how could Ganondorf create them he doesn't yet have the triforce of power and why would the cavern be called dodongo's cavern if there weren't Dodongo's in it.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I see the rest of the post (after 'either way') escaped you. ;) Regardless of whether Ganondorf created them there are plenty reasons evolution isn't, to me at least, an acceptable theory in Hyrule.

I see the rest of the post (after 'either way') escaped you. ;) Regardless of whether Ganondorf created them there are plenty reasons evolution isn't, to me at least, an acceptable theory in Hyrule.
The way I look at magic in Hyrule is that it works with science. After all Nayru is the one who created both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom