• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ever Predict Something in the Series?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I am NOT talking about things like "This new game will be awesome!" or "This new game will suck monkeys!" I am talking about very specific, little quirky things. Have you ever come up with some kind of theory, idea, general notion, or do fanwork pretaining to such a notion only to have it "come true" in some new game in the Zelda series?

I have an online friend who has been into The Legend of Zelda as an active fandom longer than I have... well, we probably did play the original games close to the same times in our childhoods, but she actually followed the series, unlike me (I didn't get really "into" the fandom until I played Twilight Princess, then I backtracked to a lot of the classics-after-the-NES-era, like Ocarina of Time). Anyway, this friend told me that back when Ocarina of Time was new and she played it, she had the notion that Zora reproduced by laying eggs. This was confirmed when Majora's Mask came out. She's said "I predicted Zora eggs."

Now, to me and my involvement in the fandom. I've been really hardcore "into" Zelda since around 2007 - 2008. I've been doing fanart and writing fanfiction for as long. Here is a fanfiction I wrote back in early 2009.

Notice the post-date. February 2009. I wrote this story before Fi existed.

I didn't think it was too special. The canon (A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and so forth) mentioned the Master Sword as "having a spirit." I'd seen fanwork along those lines. However, I was just re-reading this ancient thing and was floored. While I'd remembered that I made my sword-spirit female, I did not remember making a specific mention to "her" technically-genderless nature that's close to the *exact* phrasing one of the Nintendo execs (Aonuma?) used to describe Fi. What floored me even more was re-reading... "Wait? I gave her a description of 'pupil-less eyes'?"

She was never exactly like Fi, though. I remember envisioning my sword-spirit as having a yellow-white glow and described her as having long hair. I also gave her a different personality than Nintendo gave their version - while my "Master Sword" is straightforward, no-nonsense, she's not an analtyical computer-type personality. She talks of liking blood and threatens to kill Link if he ever strays from the path of heroic virtue.

It's still just kind of... weird.

Maybe I *do* have some sort of ESP.

Anyway, by accident or just good observation and a talent for futurism, have you made any Zelda "predictions" that have come true in some uncanny way?

When Skyward Sword was announced in E3 2010, they mentioned how this game was a prequel and that Link must descend from the Sky to the world below that is overrun by monsters. Many wonder who the new villain was going to be and guess range from young Ganondorf to Majora and the Dark Tribe. Since this new evil runs rampant across the land to the point where the Sky and Hyrule was separated, I thought it had to be something more ancient and more evil than Ganondorf. I have only played Spirit Tracks at that time and remembered the story of Malladus the Demon King. The backstory did not portrayed Malladus as a human being like Ganondorf and treats him like a force of nature.

I came up with a prediction that the Skyward Sword villains were an army of demons ruled by a Demon King, a satanic-figure whose goal to destroy everything in the world. This Demon King is the ultimate authority of evil and that other demons and dark tribes like Majora and the Interlopers would serve him. He would also be responsible for the rise of Ganondorf by turning Gerudo Desert into a barren wasteland. I once thought that the Demon King would even be Malladus at one time.

Though many of the things I've predicted were wrong, but I'm quite amazed that the villains were indeed demons ruled by a Demon King instead of corrupted sorcerers of the Dark Tribe. The only thing I regret is not posting my prediction up during the initial revelation because I had no experience with messenger boards before and was quite hesitant of being ridiculed of being wrong, particularly the point of Malladus.

She was never exactly like Fi, though. I remember envisioning my sword-spirit as having a yellow-white glow and described her as having long hair.
Thought I would mention that there were A LOT of beta designs for Fi that appear in Hyrule Historia. I had all of them at some point but would have difficulty finding them again. You can surely find them in the English translation when it comes out. Anyway I don't remember all the designs, but I'm sure at least one of them was much closer to what you described. ;)

Though many of the things I've predicted were wrong, but I'm quite amazed that the villains were indeed demons ruled by a Demon King instead of corrupted sorcerers of the Dark Tribe. The only thing I regret is not posting my prediction up during the initial revelation because I had no experience with messenger boards before and was quite hesitant of being ridiculed of being wrong, particularly the point of Malladus.
Thought I would mention that the Japanese terms used for a lot of things change this picture a lot. The "King of Darkness" that seemed to have lead the Dark Tribe in Four Swords Adventures (and whom the second Ganon inherited his power and title from) was actually still the "Demon King", more or less. "Demon King" was ALWAYS Ganon's original title. So in other words, there's still heavy support for the Dark Tribe theory if you look to the Japanese phrasing.

I myself was a huge proponent of the Dark Tribe theory and still take what we saw as proof for my theory, though it's certainly not absolute. I predicted that Skyward Sword would take place in a pre-Hyrule, and...

...as soon as I saw The Imprisoned, I knew for sure he was the real villain of the game, and the "King of Darkness" (or Demon King), and that he would be a proto-Ganon.

I predicted that Skyward Sword would have an expanded inventory system in one way or another and a harder difficulty. I also said, more or less, that I thought Skyward Sword's artstyle was going to be a blend of realism and stylization, with serious shapes but bright colors and accents, which is basically what we got; a stylized anime look.

With Spirit Tracks, I predicted early on that the game was going to take certain inspirations from Twilight Princess, which was seen in the final game with the reappearance of Bulblins and Bullbos, TP-style White Wolfos, and other enemies whose general concepts were reused, like Stallord/Skeldritch. I even predicted the setting was going to be the land that Link and Tetra discovered after The Wind Waker and, therefore, its timeline placement.

I've been wrong about things, like when I was adamant that Fi was not going to be the Master Sword or that "Zelda Wii", as it was known at the time, was not going to have flight. I don't think these were baseless expectations, though, and I'm still pretty proud of my accurate predictions. :)

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
It has happened once. And I wouldn't really call it a that sort of a predicament, but nonetheless: I was thinking, like just when Skyward Sword was announced, but before when we got information regarding the game like about the dungeons, enemies, items, and all. All that was know, was that there was going to be a new Zelda- game for the Wii. Now, I was just hanging in my room, writing my history essay, and I thought: "Geez, I don't know why, but I got this weird feeling, that this new Zelda, is going to have some kind of a exciting new Water Temple, which will not be kinda like OoT's terrible Water Temple, but rather a nice, not easy, but not too difficult either, good ol' Zelda Water Temple, which would be a REAL temple, or based on a such.". At first, I just laughed at the thought, but when I played SS to the part were you'll get to the Ancient Cistern, boy, wasn't I suprised!
I know it's not a 'real' predicament, but sorta.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
You predicted Fi? Crazy.

As for zoras laying eggs...well, that's kinda obvious. They're fish people. Most fish lay eggs. Guppies and some sharks give birth...but generally when you think of fish, you think of egg layers. I see them as more like monotremes though, which is the class of animal a platypus is. Platypi lay eggs, incubate them, then feed milk to them when they hatch. And they're semi aquatic. Just like zoras.

I'll have to delve into that when I write my zora species study. I'm thinking that since zoras hatch looking like tadpoles, they would live off the egg yolk for awhile like fish, then grow limbs and drink their mom's milk until they can eat solid food...

..But I'm getting off topic. I dont recall predicting anything.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
You predicted Fi? Crazy.

As for zoras laying eggs...well, that's kinda obvious. They're fish people. Most fish lay eggs. Guppies and some sharks give birth...but generally when you think of fish, you think of egg layers. I see them as more like monotremes though, which is the class of animal a platypus is. Platypi lay eggs, incubate them, then feed milk to them when they hatch. And they're semi aquatic. Just like zoras.

I'll have to delve into that when I write my zora species study. I'm thinking that since zoras hatch looking like tadpoles, they would live off the egg yolk for awhile like fish, then grow limbs and drink their mom's milk until they can eat solid food...

..But I'm getting off topic. I dont recall predicting anything.

Also off-topic, but possibly helpful...

I think it's possible that Zoras don't actually produce milk. Their "Non-Mammal Mammaries" is a common thing whereby animators and artist will show humanoid animals as being "female" by making them look like human females, regardless if they're a dog-person and should technically have eight of those happy fun-lumps or if they're a fish or frog type, which should have no fun-lumps. It could be just a secondary characteristic to make them attractive to male Zora. There are many animals out there which have essentially useless traits that they only have because they attract mates.

I haven't had any predictions come true yet. But here is what I'm predicting. I'm predicting that the new Zelda game for the Wii U will have a more modern setting (music that feels more modern but at the same time still Zelda music) along with more modern environments/weapons.

One main thing I'm predicting is that the City in the Sky will now look like a modern civilized city (something like this):

50 Free HD City Wallpapers - NewEvolution

But at the same time, it still has Zelda elements and also has those giant dragon-like bird creatures flying around the buildings (some of these actually being good).

Now as for this modernized City in the Sky's new music, it has an instrument similar to a heavy metal instrument--but it's a heroic banging instrument. This music also has funk-like yelling and an eerie siren type of noise with it.

Link becomes the hero of this entire city and there is then a scenario of Link standing on top one of the buildings. He then raises his sword in the air (to claim his new city), and a funk-like scream goes "OW" (something similar to Michael Jackson) while we witness the whole scenario of the other buildings in the background with the flying dragon birds.

The funk-like scream is an escalated mood with a modern feel that expresses the epic coolness of this city (along with the euphoric high that Link feels when he raises his sword in the air).

While Link has his sword in the air, it becomes powered up with an immense surge of energy unlike anything before (a new immensely powerful sword ability granted by the goddess of Sky City).

Back at Hyrule, Link can now make use of this power channeled from the Sky City to destroy the immense armies of enemies that have taken over and utterly dominated Hyrule (a vastly improved evolved version of the sword energy ability seen in Skyward Sword). There is then another scenario with an immense army of enemies arriving (1,000 enemies). Link raises his sword and that awesome new Sky City theme with the heroic banging, funk-like screaming, and the eerie siren-like sound begins as a view of the Sky City is shown, then Link's sword as it channels the power. He then unleashes this power, sending an immense shockwave that destroys all the enemies.

Finally, as for the setting of this new Zelda game, not really clear. But it takes place in Hyrule where the ultimate evil tries to completely take over Hyrule. So many enemies take over Hyrule, that no one can stop them (not even Link). And that's when Link has to return to the forgotten City in the Sky (which is now a giant modern civilized city) and overcome the goddess's ultimate elite City in the Sky challenge to obtain this new sword power. In the process of overcoming this challenge, Link learns elite acrobatics and such that are necessary to save Hyrule and overcome the challenge. Once Link overcomes this challenge, that's when that scenario of him is shown raising his sword in the air on top of a building.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think it's possible that Zoras don't actually produce milk. Their "Non-Mammal Mammaries" is a common thing whereby animators and artist will show humanoid animals as being "female" by making them look like human females, regardless if they're a dog-person and should technically have eight of those happy fun-lumps or if they're a fish or frog type, which should have no fun-lumps. It could be just a secondary characteristic to make them attractive to male Zora. There are many animals out there which have essentially useless traits that they only have because they attract mates.
Very true...now I'm debating whether or not to keep them being monotremes. Ack.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I mainly had predictions about SS.
When I first saw the first leaked official artwork for SS, I correctly guessed that the female figure (whom we now know as Fi) was the spirit in the Master Sword. I remember two theories about what Fi was thought to be; either the Fairy Queen from WW, or the spirit in the Master Sword.
However, when I first heard about Ghirahim, I thought he was some Dark Interloper mentioned in TP. But I didn't fare so well after I realized he was a sword spirit much like Fi.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I have a knack for disagreeing with the majority and being right. I was right when I said TP was basically going to go back to Zelda roots and wouldn't have magic anymore. When fans were all talking about how Skyward Sword was going to be this prequel story and explain so much...I was right when I told them all "No, Nintendo would never do that. The references will be little to nonexistant in Skyward Sword."

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I always predict that Link will never die, Zelda will get saved if she's in some kind of trouble and the bad guy fails in succeeding with his diabolical master plan. I'm always right..

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom