• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Emulator Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I just signed up, so this is my first message, but you don't care. Anyway, I'm on an emulator, and I am in the stone tower temple. I can't get my mirror shield to shine light on a sun face. =( Now, normally this would be extremely easy, but not with my emulator. This is because: When I press the up arrow key, Link points his shield straight up. Same for down.:mellow: PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEMO! Thanks!

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Ah yeah, I know that problem too well. You're probably playing with a keyboard, right? Now a keyboard button has only two states: "pressed" and "not pressed", so if you press the button, the responsible input variable directly goes from 0% to 100%, while an analog stick allows for a much smoother transition (I think mine has 8 bit/axis=256 different states).
So the only way to "fix" this is to buy a USB controller for your computer. Most of them have a PS2 controller layout, so you don't have six buttons on the right (only 4 which I normally use for A, B, Z, Start), but you can assign the C-Buttons to the D-Pad (on the left). With that setup it's really easy to beat most N64 games. Such controllers start at ~15$, you can get quite decent ones (with Precision Aim etc) for around 30$. Of course you can also buy an original N64 controller or use yours if you have one and buy an additional N64->USB converter for around 30$.
If you're on Project 64, most controllers seem to be supported (version 1.6 and higher) if properly installed in Windows. You can even enable rumble effects!

Sstorm

Some Legends Never Die...
I know your pain I recently did an emulator run of the game and had a lot of trouble doing this, but the way I found to get by this is to Z target + shield. It seemed to do the trick in most cases, and when it didn't I just had to mess around with the keypad until it "clicked". Don't worry it is possible with just a keyboard, patience is key (no pun intended)! Good luck, keep trying and you will get it!

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Huh, I remember having something like that happen to me in OoT. I had to hit something with an arrow, but it was always a nudge too high or too low to hit it.
You could try connecting a real controller; either the Xbox controller, or get an adapter to use the N64 controller.
If not, just keep trying and perfect your timing/positioning.

David

But you called me here...
I've got an idea, don't emulate N64 games! Get the real version and experience it the way it was meant to be experienced! But if you really want to emulate an N64 game, get a USB controller or an adapter for use with a N64 controller. Either way, you'll need to use a real controller, not the keyboard.

Kybyrian

It seems we're all agreed here. No need for more people to keep replying and saying, "Buy a controller."

What they said. The keyboard won't suffice. Only two modes to it. Pressed and unpressed. You're going to have to get something with sensitivity.

[Thread's Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom