• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emulator Controls

I'm not big on using emulators, but I have a couple games I can only play on the computer (translations and the like).

Thing is... I hate using the keyboard for the controls. I always slip, and hit wrong keys, and it's frustrating.

A friend of mine mentioned a USB controller, which is probably the coolest thing I've ever heard. But there are so many of them. Do any of you guys use one? And what kind?

Kazumi

chagy
I have a standard wired Xbox 360 controller that connects via USB, as all wired 360 controllers do. You simply have to download the drivers from Microsoft's site (just search "Xbox 360 controller pc drivers" or something on Google). Then you just plug it into a USB port on your computer and it works like a charm. It probably has the highest compatibility and best build quality of any USB controller, plus it can be used for an actual Xbox 360. Just make sure you don't get a wireless one, as those won't work without a special adapter.

If your just using it for emulation though, you could probably get a cheaper lower quality one. Emulators usually support a whole ton of game pads, or their just not specific about which ones it can use.

I'll have to try the wiimote thing. I have a Mac, so I'll have to improvise on the instructions, but it should be the same basic concept... right?

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I picked up a Philips somethinorother from walmart for like $15. The joystick had no sensitivity, but that's usually okay if you're not playing a FPS (I had a traumatic experience).

I recommend buying the cheapest one you can find.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
just buy a cheap one, they all are pretty much the same, just make sure it has enough buttons and analog sticks so that you can use it with the games you play.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I have a couple of recommendations depending on what you plan on playing.

For pretty much any Nintendo games, the Wii Classic Controller is best and you can figure out how to use it by following the link in an earlier post. The setup of a Classic Controller is, of course, very similar to a SNES controller, and for that reason it is quite adaptable to either SNES or NES games. The Classic Controller is in my view one of the greatest controllers ever made and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

For Genesis and Saturn games, I highly, highly recommend a USB Saturn controller. Those things work extremely well for obvious reasons (the Saturn setup is identical to the Genesis one), and it controls flawlessly.

Barring that (still on Genesis games), use what I use: a MadCatz Street Fighter IV fightpad for the Xbox 360. It has gigantic buttons, one of the best and smoothest D-pads I've ever used, and is set up just like a Saturn controller with extra features like Turbo. Unfortunately, you'll have to deal with silly Street Fighter 4 characters on the faceplates. The advantage this one has is that it can be used on the Xbox 360, if you have one. Perfect for Sonic's Genesis Collection on that system.

Otherwise, pick up the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad for the PC. Unless you already own a Wii and the classic controller, this is your cheapest and most logical option. It's set up exactly like a Playstation controller, but unfortunately I don't think it's quite as smooth. My face buttons began to "stick" after a couple years, and the D-pad is less than ideal (again, it "sticks"), but don't let that fool you: this is a very good controller and I still use it if I have anything on the PC for which I want 3D control (alternately, I use my 360 controller...but the D-pad is much worse on that).

On a side note, for the SNES I found a perfect keyboard setup was WASD for the D-pad and PL:" for the face buttons, with L-Shift and R-Shift respectively serving as the left and right shoulder buttons and f replacing Select. Thought I'd throw that out there in case none of the controller options worked.

@Kazumi: My opinion on the 360 gamepad is that it's designed for 3D control and simply isn't suited for 2D games. Even third-party controllers tend to have this problem. The Playstation controller is much better, but from what I've heard it's not as easy of an option, so I dunno.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Ah. I totally understand your plight. If you cannot get any of the USB controllers, I reccomend a different hand position. Take th N64 emulator, for example. A good way to set it up is this:
A=F key
B=D key
C buttons:
^=y
>=h
<=g
v=b

Control stick would be mapped to arrow keys. It is much more comfortable to play with your hands spread out, I have found.

Thanks, guys, for your input :D

I messed around with the wiimote yesterday and I was able to hook it up. I have some issues with the actual controls, but that's probably due to my poor excuse for an emulator (the Mac options are limited). I haven't tried hooking up the classic controller yet (best idea ever, by the way), but that definitely seems like the easiest option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom