• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Electronics in Music

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
We exist in a day and age where we have created astounding technological discoveries. We can make phones that can access the internet, even if there's no WiFi access point nearby. We have created computers that can operate at astounding speeds. We even have cars that are designed to brake for us if we can't in time.

However when it comes to music, people are split in the use of electronics. Some like them but some don't. Pedals, mixers, keys, computers, autotune and more.

I personally like them, but what about you guys. What do you think of them and why?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I prefer the sound of actual instruments to electronic sounds in music and most of the time when I make music, I prefer not to use electronics for the most part but a lot of the time I have no choice since I don't have access to anything else. I love the sound of string instruments (especially the cello) which is most of my reason for liking real intruments more.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I personally think that music that is made electronically can be just as good or better than music made on actual instruments, you can pretty much make it sound however you want electronically.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I hate it. I can't stand it. Dubstep, 8-bit, autotune, techno, electronica... I hate all of it. I just can't stand the way it sounds. I'd equate it to nails on a chalkboard, but that sound actually doesn't bother me. ._.

I'm not going to say the music sucks. In other people's opinions, it's good. I respect that. However, I don't like it. I think it sounds awful. I think it sounds like a malfunctioning robot is having a seizure while attempting to sing. Listening to electronica or techno or dubstep really, really bothers me. The sound of it irritates me. It puts me in a bad mood and I can't concentrate properly on anything as long as I can hear it. I just can't stand the way it sounds. I don't consider those genres to be "music".

Of course, this is all my opinion. If you like it, that's fine. I have no right to tell you otherwise. Just... please don't play it around me. ._.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
It depends on the style of electronics. Radiohead is one of my two favorite bands (the other being Muse) and they use a lot of electronics and it's completely amazing. I like some dubstep (mainly Ephixa), the psychedelic band Younger Brother, but some electronics feel unneeded and make my ear bleed. POP ARTISTS. YOU DO NOT NEED SYNTHS OR AUTOTUNING TO MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOUR SONG. LOOK TO THINGS LIKE ADELLE OR fun.

As a postlude, some good electronic music.

[video=youtube;DNqv3nHyteM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqv3nHyteM[/video]

[video=youtube;MtFbqAxat7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFbqAxat7c[/video]

[video=youtube;yp3UeCguVVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3UeCguVVI[/video]

Dan

I love electronic music, I believe I like it more than actual "real" instrumental music itself. While I do like some 8-bit tunes, growing up with the megadrive I really came to love a lot of the music featured in games. Looking at the snes that also featured great music. So yeah I'd have to say I do like electronic music, I think it might be because it can sound so much different, where's with real instruments I sometimes tire of a certain sound.

Lamphobic

The Brony
I think that music made on computers is very advanced. Almost everything goes through a computer now for a touchup or extra effect added in somewhere nowadays. I respect music made from real instruments but I know for a fact that ANYTHING you can do with a real instrument you can do with a recording of the different notes on that instrument and a computer if you're good enough. Now if you're asking about the electro genre itself? Different topic than the one brought up in the OP but meh. I like Dubstep that doesn't have too many or too deep drops. I like pixels A LOT. I don't like trance. I hate trance. Really . A lot. It's just boring to me. I also don't like songs when they'll have, one. Single. Effect. Used throughout the entire song. It's annoying. That problem is more for amateur songs though.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I do listen to the occasional dubstep, but I find I can only listen to it for short periods before I get bored of it. I`m sort of neutral about electronic music; sometimes it makes music sound better by adding new sounds (I immediately think of the use of keyboards and synthesizers in Rush and Cars songs) but other times it gets repetitive. I find that many electronic songs are made to sound perfect, which, ironically, makes electronica flawed. It sounds too perfect! It`s just not the same as real instruments.

Consider a real drummer versus a drum machine, specifically one from the 80`s. From what I`ve heard, all drummers make mistakes in time-keeping and they vary drum or cymbal hits unconsciously or not. These small errors actually add flavour to the music. On the other hand, 80`s drum machines can keep time perfectly and all notes sound identical. This actually makes 80`s techno or pop sound too perfect, so it`s more repetitive. The same can be said about any real instrument versus some digital instrument.

And yes, I do realize that there are electronic versions of common instruments, such as electric drum kits or electric violins. But these are played by a person rather than a computer, so I can`t complain too much about that.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In my travels across the musicphere, I've discovered a lot of songs that I really, really like, and/or really, really dislike. A good bit of these are electronic or other synthetic-instrumental music, which tend to sound great or sound grating. It depends on the tune and the use of technological sounds, for me. I may not know a lot on how music is recorded from a keyboard, or on a computer, but I'm able to tell which does or doesn't fit my, eh...auditory tastes. Before I get into that, I'd like to make this one point:

Ultimately, I tend to think in terms of how it sounds rather than why it sounds like this.

With that in mind, electronic music is known to have a very consistent beat all the way throughout, which gets stuck in a listerner's head. It's meant to be catchy, even though sometimes the beat comes to be very repetitious and annoying. Consider Nicki Minaj's Starships; it has an okay rhythm to begin with, but eventually becomes laden with over-the-top techno and an overdose of autotune. Songs like that are the ones I am not into, personally.

On the other hand, electronica can also be very beautiful. Just look at most of Owl City's music. Hardly any of it employs bouncy synthetic sounds, but more fluent with the rest of the song, as well as the voice. Additionally video game music has tremendous proficiency with electronic sounds. Borderlands 2, for example, has a full electronic soundtrack, yet it by iteself sounds pleasant to my ears.

Overall electronics are either good or bad; it entirely depends on an individual basis. I don't really mind the fact that computers are used to imitate real instruments, because it has just as much beneficial potential as using only them. Someone above mentioned that musicians would be off with the beat at times, but here we have a means of patching that up. Therefore, I don't see a legitimate reason to not implement electronics (unless we're talking about most pop...in which case I sometimes want to shoot myself [joke]). All that matters for me is the end product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom