• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Does Anyone else Feel Skyward Sword Lacked a Cohesive Storyline?

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think the story flowed pretty well at the start. As Vanitas put it, it had the "chasin' mah gurlfren" (lolz) theme to it, but there are several things that stood out to me besides that.

One of them is the now classic element of Link's growth throughout the game. It's pretty clear from the start that he's somewhat lazy, not dedicated to training, he likes sleeping a bit too much... he's probably the last person you'd expect to become the hero that'll save all of us. But when Zelda fell from her loftwing, what did he have to do? He had to rise to the situation, even though some try to discourage him (even Impa says he's not worthy at some point if I remember correctly). The cutscene after Lanayru Mining Facility was sure a reaffirming moment after that, at least to me I guess. That actually made me feel that I had done something really meaningful.

But that was my opinion of the game at the start. I think the story stopped flowing that well at the start of the Song of the Hero quest as it did at the start and even the actual game started to feel tedious to me (especially the flooded Faron Woods part). That didn't feel as much like a part of the story as much as it felt like a fetchquest, but that's just me.

And at the end, I thought the whole origins thing felt a bit like rushed explanation. Yeah, now we know what powers Ganondorf... I guess maybe my expectatioons were a bit off at that part. That's what they promised after all, I guess. xD

Eitherway, the game was great most of the time. I remember I used to have similar thoughts about Twilight Princess when I first played it, and most of those got lost a bit with time.

I enjoyed the story

The characters seemed to babble on for much too long. The shop owners and especially Fi! My gosh.

When i want to know how to KILL an enemy, Fi babbles on about the STRENGTHS of the enemy. It's all cool and scientific... BUT TELL ME A WEAK SPOT ALREADY!!!

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
But that was my opinion of the game at the start. I think the story stopped flowing that well at the start of the Song of the Hero quest as it did at the start and even the actual game started to feel tedious to me (especially the flooded Faron Woods part). That didn't feel as much like a part of the story as much as it felt like a fetchquest, but that's just me.

I think I agree with that. After reading some of the other posts, and thinking about it a bit more, I think perhaps it was the volume of side quests that made the story feel a bit jumpy for my liking. I felt as if I moved from game to sidequest and back again, although some of the main quest felt a bit like a side quest, specifically the begining of the Sand Sea dungeon.

I do like sidequests though - MM is one of my favorite Zelda games but I think the grattitude crystal quest had almost no relation to the main quest unlike the multitude of tasks you need to acomplish in MM.

I don't really understand. The plot to SS is great. It does take a while to get started, which can annoy some people. But that time is spent developing the characters so that you're invested in finding Zelda. I felt involved in the plot and as if I was actually making an impact on this world. Certainly a step up from most games.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I disagree completely. Going from place to place to get objects is what Zelda is all about. However Skyward Sword made the things you get unique and also making it so that each time something other than just getting the item would happen. Such as watching a dance, seeing Zelda, defending Zelda. It brought more than just collecting things like in Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. The whole story in general was amazing. Without spoiling anything I will say when you see Zelda in the Temple of Hylia it is shocking and makes you cry. Would a shallow storyline make most Zelda fans cry? And at the end when you learn all about Impa and who Fi is and what happens to Fi at the end was something magical. It was done so well if you were to take the scenes give them talking and put it in a movie it would be Oscar worthy.

I got annoyed with the first half of the game. "You spent a couple hours chasing Zelda, but she just left! Go to (Next place) to continue searching!" It felt like an extremely long intro. After that, though, the game really picked up, tough I will always hate those silent realms........

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
I strongly disagree.

I feel that the links between who the characters were and there relationships was not reflected throughout the cutscenes.

Sometimes this is prevalent however it depends on how you perceive the cut scenes I cannot exactly remember which cut scene perhaps after Link obtains the second flame, Fi tells Link there is only one left and they should proceed to the Eldin Volcano Link smiles at Fi and she doesn't know how to react properly.

This scene I feel (from memory) excellent conveys the link between Characters and there growth / development, particularly when you Travel through the Gate of Time and Zelda reveals a lot to Link much to his mis-understanding or comprehension of what just took place but you see there bond grow together through there passion between each other.

That and Impa and Zelda especially at the end when Zelda beacons her to travel back with them, it really conveys (how I feel anyway) their relationships and how you become attached to the characters.

P.S:

Groose also, the bond between link and Groose grows towards the end after he aids Link in sealing away The Imprisoned the last two times, and when he actually travels back in time under the knowledge that he isn't the hero of destiny to save the world from Demise, he makes a willing sacrifice for him self to save his own love interest.

That is how I see it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom