• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Skyward Sword Will Becoma a More Anime-Like Style Zelda?

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
zeldaskywardswordwiie32.jpg

Ok let's see what we've got here. There is an Orochimaru like villain called Ghirahim. An absolute cute and adorable Zelda, and many other characters who all looks like they will become the stars in a newly animated Shounen Anime Series. Is it just me who thinks Skyward Sword will become more Anime-Like, like any other Zelda before? Aonuma also told something about a school which will be featured in Skyward Sword. Shin Megami Zelda: Persona Skyward Sword? Well, it's just an example. And I know, in every Zelda Game, there are a few classic Anime elements in it's story.

Thanks to Dukusword, I've watched this video for the first time now:

[video=youtube;jzatNtinHsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzatNtinHsE[/video]

"As you know, today's champion will receive a gift from none other than..... The lovely Zelda!

Including the shiny smiling face of the adorable Zelda in the next scene after this dialog, that's so Anime.

What about you? Do you think there will be even more elements of an Shounen Anime series in Skyward Sword? And could this ruin an epic story?
I'm not a huge fan of Shounen Manga or Anime since I've watched to many of them and became older and get interested in the more mature Manga and Anime stuff (Seinen). Well, I hope the story of Skyward Sword will not become dull or stereotyped.

It's no more anime than TWW or TP were before it.

Case in point: Aryll in TWW. Pure kawaii cute. Ilia and the Ordon kids in TP. The three girls who follow you around in Castle Town, too.

If anything, this game seems like a sort of middle ground between TWW and TP in terms of the attention given to these conventions and the attention given to classic Zelda lore and traditional fantasy elements.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
It's no more anime than TWW or TP were before it.

Case in point: Aryll in TWW. Pure kawaii cute. Ilia and the Ordon kids in TP. The three girls who follow you around in Castle Town, too.

Yes, you could be right. But these were my first impressions after I've watched all the E3 2011 stuff. Maybte it's just my intuition :O

skybird11

state alchemist
I don't think so. it seems more like the classic "save the princess from the evil villan" like most(if not all) zelda games(and classic mario) are. and the visual styles don't look anime-ish either. i guess its just how they do things in japan.

C

Civil

I guess we'll have to see how the whole game pans out, but certainly from what I've seen the game uses lots of bright, almost cartoony colours, contrasted with some fairly dark villains and dungeons. It's certainly reminiscent of anime, but it isn't particularly unusual for the Legend of Zelda to look like this.

It does seem to be moving away from the exclusively realistic or over-the-top cartoony styles presented traditionally however.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Yes, and if so, I love the direction it's taking. It kind of reminds me of the tone of the Tales games, which manage to be both playful and serious at various points. It also matches up quite well with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both of which are often lauded as a couple of the best entries into the series.

Indeed, Ocarina of Time especially capitalized on an anime art style and anime elements in general. Twilight Princess, in stark contrast, tried so hard to be Western that it ended up being plain boring by comparison with all other Zelda games.

SS is identifiably Japanese, which is a good thing. And the school element certainly humanizes the characters, since they're at the age when one would expect them to be in school--I only wish we'd seen it before! In terms of tone and style, Skyward Sword is gearing up to be one of the finest Zelda entries yet, and its "anime" elements are no doubt part of the reason for that.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
No. Pardon me, but reading this post kinda irritates me.

Anime and Manga are both strong elements in Japanese Pop-Culture. Yusuke Nakano, the concept artist for Skyward Sword (I think--) was born and raised in Japan, and many of his influences must have been from various manga, anime, comics or other, this is how he developed this style, and I think it looks beautiful.

There is an Orochimaru like villain called Ghirahim.
Well, Ghirahim isn't the only person who sticks his tongue out;;
When I first saw this little habit of the Dark Lord, I thought of Vamp and/or The Fear from the Metal Gear Solid series. This game, is too, made by a Japanese developer, Hideo Kojima, but this game is far from anime-style.

Including the shiny smiling face of the adorable Zelda in the next scene after this dialog, that's so Anime.
Ack-Ahk-Eh-EHH?? Excuse me?
I have to agree with Lex_Informer. There have been many sweet, lovable characters in the Zelda series.
Sure, they could've given Zelda a different personality but Eiji Aonuma wanted Zelda to be a lovable character, someone to strive for, to fight for. That's why, in the beginning of the game, Zelda's character is built to be a sweet person that you can feel affection towards, a motive to keep you going to save the person you care for dearly.

Going back to Yusuke Nakano, his style hasn't changed dramatically since Twilight Princess. It's a simpler version of Twilight Princess actually; everything comes down to colour, style, mood and texturing. In my opinion, both games are gorgeous, or maybe I'm just impressed easily;;

Nintendo have always gone by, "Gameplay over Graphics", so don't let the style weigh you down! As long as it's a playable game, it's good.
As for the school, I'm actually looking forward to that; I've always liked the simple things. There's going to be a vast variety of characters and one of them is bound to relate to one of us. They're students, facing the same problems and dilemmas as we are, or once did. And hey, who doesn't like a good side-quest or two?

TL;DR
Sorry if I sounded kinda-- Arrogant;;

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Well, the game is made in Japan. There are going to be some Japanese elements, but all the 3D Zeldas have been, well, "anime-like" technically.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
SS Style

I have to say the style of this game falls a little short for me. The sort of anime like style is not the right thing for a LoZ game. That said I do believe this graphic style suits the story well. But some of the bosses and enemies look kind of silly with this style. I hope that this style is only a one time thing. No matter what though SS does look fun.

I doubt it, the graphics in WW were the most anime like in the series. They kinda took OOT, WW, and TP graphics and made a hybrid. It almost looks like Lost Odyssey for the 360, except for brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom