• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Really Not Care What Other People Think?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It's very simple. There are four groups of people

The ones that like you for the right reasons
The ones that like you for the wrong reasons
The ones that hate you for the wrong reasons
The ones that hate you for the right reasons

Surround yourself with the first, listen to the fourth. The rest is just noise.

You forgot the fifth group: The ones that don't give a damn about you either way - but they aren't really much of an issue either way.

octorok74

TETTAC
Sometimes I don't care, sometimes I do. I don't try and be liked by everyone. Even if I don't care what people say, I do take their opinion into future consideration. But I am me and I will do what I want, what I feel is right.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
When it comes to my personal likes and everything I absolutely don't care what people think. When it comes to popularity I don't care either. I avoid popularity situations like a disease. When it comes to my beliefs I don't care either. But when it comes to my behavior and how I am in general I do care what others think. If people think I am bad mannered and misbehave and this is not one single person saying this but a whole bunch of people I do care and try to improve myself because sometimes everybody needs a wake up call.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
To a certain degree, I do. I'm kind of self-conscious, and I have low self-confidence and low self-esteem. A big fear of mine is people around me staring at me and judging me. That's why I make an effort to look presentable each day and I try not to do things that are generally socially unacceptable. However, when it comes to things I believe in, I don't care what you think.

I'm Deist and content with that. I'm not interested in being religious, in regard going to church or praying. I am pro-choice. I strongly support the South Park notion that "either everything is okay to joke about, or nothing is". I strongly support people having their own personal beliefs and ideas, and I strongly believe that anyone who calls someone out over a difference in beliefs is very wrong. I strongly believe that friends are one of the most-- if not the most-- important things in the world. I strongly believe in being kind to everyone even if they're unkind to me. Having said all that, I don't care what you think of me for believing in those things. I believe in what I believe in and there's nothing you can say about that. If you can't respect my beliefs, you're not worth my time. But if you can respect my beliefs, whether you agree with them or not, you're a good person in my book. The opposite is true, too. I will respect your beliefs whether I agree with them or not.

I don't care what people think about me as far as fashion goes. I wear what I like because I like it. I don't care if you don't like it or not. I do try to look nice each day, but that's not what I'm referring to here. I wear (almost exclusively) solid colors, preferably black and white. I don't care about brand names, and won't bother with them. I will never wear shorts except as pajamas. I will not wear jeans, and I don't really care about sweatpants. I will never wear a tank-top as long as I live. I don't care what you think about my fashion sense; that's what it is, and I'm content with it.

The main thing I do care about in regard to what people think of me is that I don't want people to misunderstand something about me or get the wrong idea about me, especially before they get to know me. Misunderstandings that can be avoided or resolved but aren't is a huge pet-peeve of mine. So I do care what people think about me before they get to know me. Once they do get to know me, whether they like me or hate me is entirely up to them. Of course I'd be happy if they liked me, and I wouldn't sweat it too much if they didn't because I accept the fact that not everyone can/will like me. But if they decide that before they get to know me, it really really bothers me. That's why I care about what people think of me to some degree.

Last edited:

Memory

Forgotten Life
I don't think so. People's point of view is pretty important towards the other party. If you don't like what they're saying, you can just ignore it or obey it(if it's your mum). Every person has their own perspective views. Whether you like it or not, try not you make them feel MORE angry or rebellious than they are. Cause it's their honest answers. We should be able to control our emotions unless necessary. They are pointing out the negatives side of your action but you believe it also has an advantage of its own(unless if it was whole-ly negative.) I respect people's answers and questions whether they're offensive or not. They gave out their own point of views. So clearly, I care what people think.

all of these are lies. its just my good half. im a rebel at school

I haven't read every post yet, I'm just contributing my opinion right now while I have internet time. ^^;

I don't think anyone in the world is 100% free of caring. Um, let me explain that: I think we all care to varying degrees, and there are some things we are more concerned about than others. It's honestly kind of a broad question, so, I'll answer the best I can, for myself:

Ex: Clothing/makeup/general appearance. I legitimately don't care about wearing makeup. If I put any on at all, it's only to accentuate a certain aspect of my appearance. I honestly DO look better without makeup, in general. Some people just do. It's not just a matter of finding the "right" makeup or applying it the "right" way - some people really do just look better without, or with very little, and some people look better with more.

Basically, I style myself the way *I* enjoy. I look take on the appearances that are most pleasing to me. I'm not a show pony. And I'm not out to get someone (I mean, in the sense that I'm not out to get a date or something). I'm just not concerned with that. When I go outside, it's for a specific purpose, and appealing to random strangers isn't one of them.

I do care enough about my appearance that I do make an effort to dress appropriately for where I'm going and be clean, however.

Another example: Religion.

I don't, in general, care what people think about my religion online, but if it's someone who has a position of authority or power over me, I hide my religion as much as possible, which is difficult for me, because it's not just belief, it's an inherent part of my lifestyle. It's not as simple as, 'well, I believe in x deity.' My religion is a major part of my life had has an active role in the choices I make, the people I surround myself with, and the general life that I live.

So, out of the need for self protection, especially since my religion is a minority and I am at a very high risk for being discriminated against for it, I simply can't be open about it. I care about what people think in that situation because their opinions on that could hurt me more.

キラ

Yo!
I don't care what people think about me one bit. If someone said something negative about me, why would I care? I know it's not true. I know who I am.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, in the grand scheme of things, no.
I mean, I might a little when it comes to how it will affect me. Nobody really would just be apathetic if they couldn't get a job they want because of employer's opinions or whatever. So, when it comes to things like that, yeah, everybody really needs to be somewhat conscious of how they come off to others.

BUT, when it's a situation or another person whose opinions really don't effect you in anyway... then no, I really don't care. I used to. I used to hide my inner self from others because of fear of being rejected and stuff (I used to have to deal with others teasing me, calling me names, picking on me, and just being straight up mean. They would love to attack the fact I loved games and REALLY attacked the fact I played Pokemon like nobody's business. - HECK, I STILL play Pokemon like nobody's business. xD), but as I've gotten older, I've realized that almost EVERYBODY, is an idiot. And, they really don't effect me. In fact, I think I sometimes like to do things JUST to annoy the haters. Like, if I like something that most others seem to dislike, or talk-$hit about, I will start liking it harder, showing it more that I like it, and I even might actually like it all that much more.

Now, I do though have to say that, the only time now, that I care about what others think, is when they might be misunderstanding me in some way. What I mean is, I want them to know what I mean when I say something, and that they know just what I'm all about. er- if that makes any sense... I guess what I mean is, I don't want to mis-represent myself. (in a basic way) That's why I refuse to wear anything that isn't my style. Because it's not me. I want to be myself, and show myself, the way I want myself to be seen. AS ME. I like things that are on the darker side. So, I wear a darker style of clothing. I will NOT be seen in anything pink, simply because it is not me, and it does not represent who I really am inside. I dislike the color pink. Quite a lot, actually.

But anywhoo... all in all, I really don't care what people think about me. And I've learned that public opinion really doesn't matter. Though, nothing really "matters" but that's another topic. I could get into it, but that's best left saved for a philosophical discussion.

I have a tendency to deny caring about what other people think about me, but it's impossible to not be self-conscious about your actions.

That said, while I may feel psychologically pressured for posting an unpopular opinion, I would never bend my personality, morality, or interests to please others. It's best to be yourself and not another person.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Back in 8th and 9th grade, I really cared. To the point that I would spend almost 40 minutes in front of the mirror every morning fixing up my hair, getting rid of every possible little zit I could find, picking my teeth til they bled, I just cared way too much. I only bought and wore clothes I thought OTHER people would like. Now... I really don't give a crap. I wear what I think is cool, I don't care about my hair, I just make myself look presentable and modest. But that only takes 2 minutes XD

I don't care what any strangers think about me unless they think i did or said something that i didn't actuaully do or say.... They can think i'm nerdy, strange, hyper, annoying, emo what ever they want, and i could care less since it's not like i talk to them or deal with them on a daily basis.

I do however care very much what my friends and co-workers think about me and feel really sad if they think i'm annoying. I don't struggle with peoples opinions too much because my friends that i hang out with everyday could really care less about how you dress or what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom