• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Do You Like the Supporting Villain?

The Supporting Villian who is reall the main villain?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

• Undecided

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The supporting villain is a villain who is not the final boss, but plays a large role throughout the game. Actually they play the biggest role. Ghirahim and Zant represent this trend. Do you like them? or are they bad for the series?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zant wasn't the main villain like Ghirahim was. He was a pawn that had no real power of his own -- at least not to the extent of what he was capable of throughout the events of the game. Ganondorf granted Zant his powers so that he could take advantage of him and gain access to the Light World again. The only underling that's truly been the main antagonist in a Zelda game is Ghirahim. Not even Aghanim was, due to him basically being an extension of Ganon.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Supporting villains:
Agahnim
Onox
Veran
Zant
Cole
Ghirahim

Of the six, I only liked three (Veran, Onox, Cole). The remaining three were either Ganon, or weak for my tastes. I do not like the supporting villain role. It's not totally bad - all of the characters are written well for a Zelda game- but for my own tastes it is.

Big Octo

=^)
Of the games I've played, not really. Ghirahim never really did it for me and was actually one of my least favorite parts of the game. Zant had a lot of potential to be fully developed into a cunning villain with his own intentions, but having him go insane and tacking on Ganon at the last minute seemed like a poor descision. Agahnim, but he actually was Ganon in the end, so I don't view him as somebody different. Vaati in Four Swords Adventures felt just as boring and lifeless as he did in the first Four Swords. Thankfully, he was given much more character as a main villain in The Minish Cap. Too bad he couldn't be that way as a supporting villain.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I agree with Mangachick! It's not like, inherently flawed, just done too much now.

I would like to see a supporting villain start off as links friend and become the enemy (like Bond and Trevelyan in Goldeneye). In the end, he became the enemy due to the true villain, the curse would be broken right before the final battle and Link and the friend take on the main villain. Of course, to break the curse, Link fights the supporting villain, a true classic sword fight.

I don't think it's good or bad, just overdone. This has been around seven times in the series--not that it's been done badly, mind you, but the concept has gotten pretty tired.

I also agree with you. It's overused to death. I would love to see an original baddie that doesn't use a puppet for their personal needs. They should do something like they did in OoT or TMC, where it's only Link versus one main villain.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Overused? I don't think so, the times that they've used a minor villain its turned out pretty good, in fact id say I even prefer ghirahims battle, on top of that his theme and nature is pretty epic in my opinion

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I enjoy supporting villains. It's an easy way for Nintendo to incorporate a brand new villain without having to get too intricate with their details (because after all they are usually just pawns)

That being said, it's a substantially bigger payoff when there's only one fully decked out baddy who's been developed throughout the game

TMLink76240

Travis Mask
Why can't we have a game with villain trade-off? Have there be two villains, equally evil. Start-off with Ganon; kill him halfway through; and have an uber boss at the end(possibly the truest form seen of Demise)

I would like to see a supporting villain start off as links friend and become the enemy (like Bond and Trevelyan in Goldeneye). In the end, he became the enemy due to the true villain, the curse would be broken right before the final battle and Link and the friend take on the main villain. Of course, to break the curse, Link fights the supporting villain, a true classic sword fight.

I love this idea, but I'd rather see the main villain be the friend.

Overused? I don't think so, the times that they've used a minor villain its turned out pretty good, in fact id say I even prefer ghirahims battle, on top of that his theme and nature is pretty epic in my opinion

Girahim was a very epicly awesome villain. He was the creepiest villain I'd seen!
I mean, when I saw this:
Skyward Sword spoiler warning:
[video=youtube_share;rn35yv6Qc3o]http://youtu.be/rn35yv6Qc3o[/video]
I felt chills go through my body as Girahim said,
"Still...It hardly seems fair, being of my position, to take all of my anger out on you."--"Which is why I promise up front not to murder you..."--"No, I'll just beat you within an inch of your life!"
And, I jumped almost out of my skin when he stuck-his-tongue-out, thinking, "He wants to ****ing rape Link!!!!! I can't ****-up!!!!*I was all like o_O and D:*" Along with the motion controls, I've never fought so intensely, before, in a Zelda game(Fighting Majora without the Fierce Deity mask while I was age 10, runs second place, though).

A supporting villain itself isn't a bad thing. What we need is to have both the supporting villain and the main villain actually alive at the same time.

Ghirahim gets a free pass because he's infinitely more interesting than Demise, appears on a frequent basis, and known to be a servant since the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom