• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Graphics Really Matter?

Shnappy

derp
While I agree with many that graphics are not what makes a game, I still think that they are a huge factor. The plot of Twilight Princess would not work with Wind Waker graphics. The realistic graphics give it a dark feel, and WW's graphics give that game a light, humorous feel. Back in the time of LoZ and AoL, graphics did not matter because there was not much variety in the graphical quality from game to game because of the limited 8-bit style of the NES's graphics. However, now, video game producers can make graphics vary in a wide variety of ways. As I said before, TP and WW both had a distinct feel because of the graphics, and Skyward Sword seems like it will be a good compromise between those two kinds of feel. SS won't feel as dark as TP, but the cellshading won't quite give us the cartoon-ish feel of WW. I don't quite know if I like this change yet, and I think it will have to wait until 2011 until I know how SS's graphics make me feel. But I do think that they will have a huge impact on the gameplay.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
@Shnappy

You make an excellent point. As I had posted earlier, I mentioned how I wanted things to look darker on ground than in Skyloft (but not too drastic), so we would have a better atmosphere when fighting and whatnot. Then, after "saving" a certain area from evil, it becomes brighter.

Judging from what we've seen so far, I'm assuming that the story will be somewhat lighthearted with maybe some darker stuff going on.

It seems like the story and the fact that they really want to emphasise the fantasy aspect of it, that the graphics suit it really well. Plus I wasn't sold on Wind Waker graphics until I actually played the game.
I think the graphics will be a lot better when we are all actually playing it rather than watching it on the internet, plus, I'm not really used to it... it kind of confuses me, as if I love the graphics but don't.... I really got to play it to see, but I have a great feeling about it.
It definately gives everywhere a new feel which is nice. I liked seeing Wind Waker areas in a cartoon world, and now I'm excited to see SS's world in a watercolor impressionalism art style lol. its like seeing the mountains and forests in a new light. I'm very pro toward having a different style between EVERY zelda game. I hope the next one is a very dark game with really realistic graphics with child link. Then the next one can be different from that.

Beeker

Wild Card
I don't mind graphics too much in games. Story and gameplay mean alot more to me. As long as the graphics are decent, I usually won't mind.

I like unique style in Zelda. It adds its own unique flair for each game. TP and WW are prime examples of this. If graphical style is used for atmosphere in these games, then maybe we'll get the best of both worlds. Though I think SS will have its own atmosphere and own feeling.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As long as the graphics aren't a collection of sprites (like ALttP or the GBC series) on a system that can have better graphics, and the gameplay is solid and not screwy, the graphics don't really matter.

T

tommytiger

I'll admit: I'm a sucker for graphics. I refused to play WW for the longest time because I couldn't match cel-chading with my idea of Link. It looked like they were trying to reach a younger audience with it. I'm struggling through it now, but I just can't stand it. Not just the graphics, but Link as a little kid. If I'd just beaten a huge, evil, scary boss, the first thing I'd do is NOT dance around like a 6 year old who just got a great birthday present.

Ocarina, old as it is, still looks better than WW. It plays better. And I can believe that THAT Link is a hero. Twilight Princess looked amazing. The characters were so 3-D. I actually felt for Midna, like she was real (except at the beginning - she was a self-centered witch). And the good graphics helped. Now WW Link looks like a baby, acts like a baby, and I can't put that anywhere near the aforementioned games.

And the darker aspect is helped by the graphics - I'm still scared of the shadow temple; stone tower still makes me wonder; I was in awe the first time I stepped into Hyrule Castle's entrance. Then I went to the wind temple and had to tell a stupid twig what to do. Darker games just seem more fun, and they draw you in better.

The new graphical style isn't the worst thing about the new game, but it's definitely not a positive for me.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
Don't get your panties(or underwear) in a bunch, people. If you actually take the time to look up impressionist art, you would find that it is quite realistic, and that SS is going to have an impressionist art style to it. The game will end up to be realistic, but have a water color effect to it. Personally, based on the graphics of Link in the Demo, he might be the only finished part of the game so far. There is an actual 51% chance the game will look realistic and dark and another 49% chance that the game will look like PlayHouse Disney and be dark. All we know is this game will never be a flop.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
There is an actual 51% chance the game will look realistic and dark and another 49% chance that the game will look like PlayHouse Disney and be dark.

As long as it has a dark look to it, I'm good. :) TP was good at appealing to my naturally dark personality (although I have lots of different ideas to transform Zelda into an evil paradise).
The demo was only that, a demo. The graphics can and will change.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
I suspect that too. Link didn't really match his environment in the demo. I expect the game to be dark, since the teaser art from last year had a dark theme to it.

The Graphics are freaking sweet!!! They rock my socks!
yet to me its not about the graphics its about the storyline, and gameplay (Squee cannot wait for SS!)

Austin

Austin
Graphics matter. It's absurd to say that they don't honestly. Along with other aspects such as gameplay and story, they're what make up a game. I suppose the degree to which they matter depends on the person, but to say that they have absolutely zero impact would be slightly odd. After all, this is what you're going to have to stare at for however long you play the game. And to be perfectly frank, I'm sick of hearing that graphics don't make a difference. To me at least, it just sounds like an excuse for a department in which a game in sorely lacking.

S

seasaw

imagine if ss was put in the tp graphics becuase tp was all like dark and emo like it would just look horrible imagine the happy tree surrounded by flowers would look horrible you have to take in the context of the game to truly appreciate the graphics like in tp it was a quest to return a entire world to normal surrounded by demmented monsters in the twilight realm and the normal place you were being hunted so and locked out of places and imagine if the context of the game didnt match the graphics like it being tp with ww graphics think of the poor ******** shadow beast and zant so before you say the graphics dont suit the game before playing it that would be so stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom