• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #018: Is Odolwa the Deku Deity?

I'm sorry that there wasn't an article yesterday, I had lots of GCSE revision to do and some social stuff. For today, I'll upload two 'Discussions'.

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. Most species in the Zelda series have their own deity, except the Dekus and a few other species. There's a theory that Odolwa is the Deku's deity, so let's have a see...

The Dekus are just a genuine enemy in Ocarina of Time, but in Majora's Mask, there's a whole royal family. They live in the swamp to the south of Termina, near the end of the gloopy stream. On the way to the swamp, you bump into Kaepora Gaebora, the owl version of Navi, joking! But yes, he's annoying. Anyway, he mentions that the Dekus have a deity. So, it's definite that they do have one, but who is it?

Just like the Zora's have Jabu Jabu, the Dekus have one too, except it isn't a giant fish. There's no actual evidence in the game indicating who the deity is, but there is in the manga. The manga isn't official, the stories get twisted in it so not much of it is actually true. In it, it mentions that Odolwa, the boss of the first dungeon, is the deity. It may even also be the giant of the swamp, given what Tael's speech before Link proceeds to the moon at the end of the game.

I know this is short, but I am posting two today. So yes, post what you think below and if you have any more evidence make sure you post that too! Thanks and read the other post! See you in a bit!

- GreenGyser :chu:

jack546

The chosen one
I believe that the four bosses are the dietys of the four reigons and the giants are the gods of termina not the individual reigons.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
As an fan of all things deku, I can tell you that I think the deku's deity was the southern giant.

However, there is some evidence pointing the other way. Most dekus from OoT and other games are enemies and can be considered "evil". Odolwa was also evil, so would be a fitting deity fro the dekus. It would help if we knew more about Odolwa's past.

Hmm, I think it was mentioned in the game that the four cardinal Giants are the deities.

•Legend of the Giants

Skull Kid was friends with the guardian deities of each land. When they left on a mission to their lands, Skull Kid thought he had been abandoned and rampaged with Majora’s Mask.

Slightly off-topic: I've always thought the four bosses of each of the cardinal temples - including Odolwa - were worshiped by the ancient tribe to which Majora's Mask belonged. That, or they themselves were members of the ancient tribe, but there's not much in-game evidence to back any of this up... so yeah...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom