• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #017: Who is the Happy Mask Salesman?

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. This article relates to my previous article about Majora's Mask, but, I though I'd make one separate about the Happy Mask Salesman because there's lots to it! Lots of you suggested different things, for example, he's just a Hylian man who collects masks, he's a ghost, he's a projection from the mask. But I have a more bizarre theory...

The Happy Mask Salesman is the man who sells masks in Ocarina of Time and the man who loses Majora's Mask in Majora's Mask. He is clearly interested in masks, and that's really all we know about him. People just simply think that he's Hylian and he has a normal life just like the rest of them, but me and others have more interesting theories.

Like earlier, I said people thought he is a ghost. I personally don't think he's a ghost, doesn't make any sense to me. Also, someone commented on my last article that he's a fake projection that Majora's Mask makes, but how can that be when he's in Ocarina of Time, before he actually found the mask. Furthermore, why would mask project him in the first place, no reasoning. But my theory is this...

When Link arrives on the moon at the end of the game, he confronts 5 children and they all mention that they want to grow up being mask salesmen. I think that the Happy Mask Salesman came from the moon. But, branching off from that, where did the moon come from and why would Majora's lair be inside it when the salesman came from there?

I have no clue so far, I may talk about this in a later article. So post what you think about the salesman and the moon below! Thanks and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think the Mask Salesman is the same one from Ocarina of Time, not a Terminian counterpart but I think he knows about Termina and travels there often. Indeed, perhaps he is originally from Termina and travels to Hyrule.

I saw a theory once that the Mask Salesman was a member or descendant of the tribe which used to use the mask. This may explain why he had it in the first place, why the Moon Children appear to be small versions of him and why he appears to be aware of Majora's plans (he knows to leave Termina in exactly three days). His 'catchphrase', "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" is heard, along with his laugh, when the moon crashes, suggesting he has a hand in returning Link to the start of the three-day cycle. That might be a hint that he has strange powers, perhaps similar to the powers the tribe may have had.

While I don't know of anything else to back this theory up, I like it. I don't take it as the definitive explanation but I accept it until proven otherwise.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
He must have a mask that allows him to teleport between Hyrule and Termina... 'Cause I think Hyrule Historia mentioned that they were the same entity. I think that the Happy mask salesman is a descendant of the "evil tribe" mentioned in Majora's Mask. This would explain why he had it and could control it. Anyway, the moon children are possibly also descendants of this "evil tribe".

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I also believe that his connection with the moon children is very important. I don't think of the moon as a physical "place", especially one from which he could be said to originate. I believe that he and the children are part of a hyperintelligent pandimensional race, trying to find the ultimate question of--- I mean, well, just growing up.

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
Happy Mask Salesman

We all know that the Happy Mask Salesman is quite the strange character. This person in Ocarina of Time gives you masks to sell and rewards you with the Mask of Truth which gives you the power to speak to Gossip Stones and as the Happy Mask Salesman says, it can peirce peoples souls. I always wondered how he got ahold of that mask. Now on to the real objective of this thread, I always wondered, who is this mysterious character? In Majora's Mask, at the beggining, he says he thinks you can get Majora's Mask for him, suspecting that he knew him from Ocarina of Time. But if that is true, than how did he get to Termina? Did he follow you? Or did he just get there by hiself? I want to hear your guys' feedback about this and see what other thoughts you may have. :)

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I'm pretty sure the Mask Salesman got there by himself because when you meet him the Skull Kid has already stolen Majora's Mask from him

jack546

The chosen one
I think that the Happy mask salesman is a man who is able to travel between dimensions.

A

Anon

I like your theory. I've always wondered about the Happy Mask Salesman's backstory ever since OoT. He always creeps me out...

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Perhaps the HMS and the skull kid are in league with one another. Indirectly of course. The HMS secretly likes disarray and turmoil therefore allowed himself to be jumped by the skull kid and being the psycho he is he decided to encourage the help from Link. Like a game of sorts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom