• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #011: Beta Ice Temple in Ocarina of Time?

(Listen Along) Ice Cavern Theme: Zelda: Ocarina of Time Music - Ice Cavern - YouTube

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. It was announced that the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time was originally going to be called the Ice Temple. There's a theory that the temple did make it to beta and in the actual game there's remains of the original dungeon. Let's have a look...

The Water Temple is the sixth dungeon in Ocarina of Time, and in my opinion it's by far the hardest. Like I said, it was originally going to be the Ice Temple. Some fans believe that after the temple had changed in the final version of the game, parts of the old Ice Temple were re-used. For example, the Ice Cavern, the mini-dungeon that is taken place before the Water Temple.

The Ice Cavern was possibly put in the game because there was so much material going to waste after Nintendo decided they wanted a Water Temple. They may have used the original Ice Temple theme for the Ice Cavern and maybe used some of the things that would've been in the Ice Temple in the mini-dungeon. The Ice Temple could have made it as far as beta, so it's a late change-of-mind for Nintendo.

People might doubt that possibility but it's not the only thing like that in Ocarina of Time. The Bottom of the Well may have been an old version of the Shadow Temple. It could've still been called the Shadow Temple but Nintendo might have not wanted it to be taken place in a well. It goes the same for the Gerudo Training Grounds and the Spirit Temple, all similar situations.

So the Ice Temple could've made it to the beta version of the game. Maybe Nintendo also originally wanted another area like the Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time. Maybe they wanted a snowy and mountainous area but they didn't get time to, because in Zelda timeline, before Ocarina of Time there was games that had an area like that in. So if the Ice Cavern is that, then maybe it's an old section of Snowpeak from Twilight Princess. This would make sense considering Snowpeak is located right next to Zora's Domain. There's even a cave in Twilight Princess at Snowpeak that resembles the Ice Cavern very much with its ice themed puzzles.

So what do you think about any of this? Post below! Thanks and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

It is possible that it could be the remains of what was going to be a Ice temple. They obviously used some of the ideas that they had in mind for the ice temple in the ice cavern when they decided not to have a full temple. If it was a last minute decision to make the water temple instead it might explain the game breaking glitch found within it. It is possible that it had less time in developement and they didn't have time to notice it before the game released.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I could see Nintedo transforming the ice cavern into a ice temple. There was enough ideas and contraptions there. I still wonder why they did it. An ice temple would have been epic, Nintendo even had some ice related enemies for it. The boss could be like a giant ice monster thing.

you forgot the wind temple. if your going to talk about Ura Zelda, be prepared for me to never leave this thread!

you forgot the wind temple. if your going to talk about Ura Zelda, be prepared for me to never leave this thread!

The Wind Temple was going to be the original Forest Temple right? I didn't include it because there's no remains of the Wind Temple in the final version of Ocarina of Time apart from the wind-looking symbol on the Forest Medallion. ;D

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I wouldn't be suprised if that were so, but I'm not sure. I do remember seeing a video posted on Zelda Dungeon that talked about the Beta Ocarina of Time. It said that maybe the Water Medallion could have been originally the Ice Medallion. If this were so, the Ice Cavern definitely could have been originally an Ice Temple.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
The Wind Temple was going to be the original Forest Temple right? I didn't include it because there's no remains of the Wind Temple in the final version of Ocarina of Time apart from the wind-looking symbol on the Forest Medallion. ;D

And the wind-themed ice portal on ganon's castle

I believe those fans in the Shadow Temple are also left over from that.

I always assumed the Ice Cavern was basically what became of the Ice Temple. But OoT had a fascinating development and a great many things were taken out or never made it. Of all the games out there it's story may be the most fascinating!

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Shouldn't these 'discussions' be in the World of Zelda? (read)

There are many points of interest of a possible Ice Temple's remnants. The Ice Cavern is one. The ice-themed section of Ganondorf's castle is another. As we all learnt thanks do ZD's videos, the OoT development period was fairly tumultuous. I doubt downgrading the Ice Temple and omitting the Wind Temple were anywhere near last minute ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom