• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #010: Transformation of Zora's Domain (Special Anniversary)

Before we begin this discussion, I'd like to thank the friends who've helped in research of these daily threads. I also thank the staff of Zelda Dungeon for making this forum and making it possible for me to post these articles. An even more special thanks goes to you people who comment who discuss the thread. (TwilightDeku, Cfrock, LegendOfTwili, etc.) Now that we've reached the 10th discussion, I'd like to introduce something new to make the reading of the thread more entertaining. Some music to read along too!

(Listen Along) Zora's Domain Theme: Zelda: Twilight Princess Music - Zora's Domain - YouTube

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. From Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess Zora's Domain didn't actually change that much. But there are some changes, that are unexplained. So let's investigate...

Firstly, let's talk about the resemblance between the Zora's River in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. The Zora's River is much wider in Twilight Princess, meaning that the river must of grew a lot between both of the games. Also, unlike Ocarina of Time's Zora's River you can't actually walk your way down the river, instead you can either canoe down or fly.

Before we talk about the start of the river, Zora's Domain, we'll talk about the end. Even after the route of the river and the size of the river has changed it's end is still the same, Lake Hylia. The lake hasn't changed much apart from the fact that a huge bridge has been built over it in Twilight Princess. So there's really no mystery in that. Moving our way back up the river, the river is actually split in two on one part in Twilight Princess. Perhaps it naturally happened, there's lots of explanations.

Let's talk about Zora's Domain itself, where Zora's River starts. In both games the river starts in Zora's Fountain, with all the water falling off a big waterfall. The Zora's Fountain is not in Twilight Princess though, instead it is replaced with the throne room which looks very similar except it's indoors. Maybe the Zora's themselves changed the layout of Zora's Fountain.

Also, the lower areas of Zora's Domain are similar to Ocarina of Time's too. But, it looks as if the waterfall has shifted backwards and it falls into what looks like the big indoor pool from Ocarina of Time's version. That big pool of water is also outdoors, unlike Ocarina of Time, where it's indoors. What's happened in a nutshell is the waterfall has been shifted backwards and all the places indoor are now outdoor and all the outdoor placed are now indoor. There's lots of theories why.

For example, maybe after Zora's Domain froze over in Ocarina of Time and never unfroze, maybe when it did it changed the foundations of the place. Or, the Zora's themselves changed the layout of the place themselves. But that still doesn't explain why Zora's River changed. Also, what happened to Lord Jabu Jabu? He had dissapeered in Link's adult form in Ocarina of Time and he wasn't there whatsoever in Twilight Princess.

Well, what do you think happened over this time period? What do you think about the new feature on these articles? What do you think about the article itself? Post below! Thanks and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think the Zora's River changed mostly due to the forces of erosion. Erosion is what makes all rivers change in size and even direction. The process of erosion is painfully slow though and Twilight Princess seems to be only a few hundred years after Ocarina of Time. However, since we've already seen evolution (a much, much slower process) take place in the space of a few hundred years in Wind Waker, maybe it's not so ludicrous that such levels of erosion could take place too. Erosion would also explain why the waterfall moved back and why the pool beneath it is deeper and wider. Both of these are common effects of erosion.

Another possible explanation is that the caverns the river flows through were created manually, most likely with explosives. When flying through the Zora's River area, you can see huge scaffolding structures all along the river which may hint at a construction project. It may also hint at an effort to support the cavern roof. Link can also use bomb arrows to destroy rocks along the river, suggesting the rock is fairly soft or weak, making the idea bombs were used to carve the cavern possible.

A third possible explanation is that volcanic activity from Death Mountain helped reshape the River and indeed, Lake Hylia itself. I remember reading somewhere that Lake Hylia in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess fits the profile of a 'maar lake'. A 'maar lake' is basically a volcanic crater that fills with water, as far as I understand it. Death Mountain is evidently an active volcano and that volcanic activity may be an explanation as to why Lake Hylia is bigger and deeper in Twilight Princess and might possibly be another potential explanation as to why the River also changed course. However, I don't really understand the geology behind this, so I wouldn't take this possibility over the others.

As for the Zora's Domain itself, I don't have anything to explain why the outdoor areas appear indoors. I could only speculate that the Zora themselves had something to do with it.
The disappearance of Jabu-Jabu is a mystery I can't explain. It may simply be that he went elsewhere, similar to how Jabun left Greatfish Isle for Outset in Wind Waker. What reason Jabu-Jabu would have for leaving however is beyond me, but this is just speculation.

I liked having the music while talking about the Zora's. Helped me remember a few things from the game, actually. Keep it up :)

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Hooray! Discussion #010!

I believe that, given time, anything will change. Rainfall and erosion could immensely change anything given time. As Cfrock mentioned, there are lots of man-made structures above Zora's river in TP. There was likely some mining craze there that required explosions. Or the structures could be there to support the river from further erosion. This is yet another reason of why we need a connection game from MM to TP.

As for Jabbu Jabbu... who knows. Maybe the Zoras got really hungry? :right:

Night Owl

~Momentai
Theoretically, since TP is on the child timeline the Domain never froze.
Because of that And erosion and time the cave that the domain is in could have collapsed causing parts of the domain to be outdoors.

I don't know if this will help you guys discuss anything. But there is my half penny ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom