• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #009: Kakariko Village and Its Timeline

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. To be honest, there's not much theory in this. But I thought it would be an interesting thing to talk about for today's discussion.

Kakariko Village is one of the most known areas in Zelda games. They all seem to have a typical village theme to them, not built up like Hyrule City but not weird like Kokiri Forest which have their own cultures. It's similar to what a village would look like today. It first appears in Ocarina of Time, and in this game, it has quite an interesting story.

It's just below Death Mountain, and it's quite a spooky place too, with its own graveyard. Impa, was not the founder of Kakariko Village, as she was born and raised there. This contradicts Impa's statement that her namesake founded the village. However, this is likely a minor plot inconsistency considering both the name similarity and Impaz's status as a Sheikah, along with the aforementioned sign. This seems especially likely given that no previous Impa is noted in Ocarina of Time, and that no other Kakariko Village appears in it too.

That's something, but moving on to another game Kakariko Village is in, Link to the Past. In this game it is taken place in the segment of the timeline where Link fails to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time. It looks the same as the Ocarina of Time Kakariko Village but it's location changed. It's about the same distance away from the Lost Woods but it's not beneath Death Mountain, but the mountain can't have moved. Perhaps things changed after Ganon ruled Hyrule.

Of course another game it appears in is Twilight Princess. It's in the segment of the timeline where Link defeats Ganon as a child in Ocarina of Time . It also has exactly the same geographical location as the one in Ocarina of Time, above the forest, below the mountain. But, for some reason the Kakariko Village looks scruffy and has taken on a wild west style, completely different to the older version. There's really no explanation why, maybe the village got poorer over the years.

The last game it appears in is Four Swords Adventures, where it takes on the style of the Ocarina of Time Kakariko Village and is in the same segment of the timeline as the one in Twilight Princess. For some reason, Kakariko Village is now in the Lost Woods, and has gone back to its original village style like in Ocarina of Time. This is something I want you clever guys to tell us about. ;-)

So yeah, post any more information, correct me and defiantly post what you think below! Thanks! Have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Just a few notes, first, a minor mistake on your post, Kakariko's first appeareance was in ALttP, not in OoT

Second, I feel like it's important to note that the sign in hidden village reads "old kakariko" in Hylian, theorize as you please

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Impa, was not the founder of Kakariko Village, as she was born and raised there. This contradicts Impa's statement that her namesake founded the village. However, this is likely a minor plot inconsistency considering both the name similarity and Impaz's status as a Sheikah, along with the aforementioned sign. This seems especially likely given that no previous Impa is noted in Ocarina of Time, and that no other Kakariko Village appears in it too.
I could use some clarification here. I assume the sign you're talking about is the "Old Kakarico" one in the Hidden Village? But then,
Of course another game it appears in is Twilight Princess. It's in the segment of the timeline where Link defeats Ganon as a child in Ocarina of Time . It also has exactly the same geographical location as the one in Ocarina of Time, above the forest, below the mountain. But, for some reason the Kakariko Village looks scruffy and has taken on a wild west style, completely different to the older version. There's really no explanation why, maybe the village got poorer over the years.
Are you talking about the Kakariko Village beneath Death Mountain here? Which do you believe is the real Kakariko Village in TP?

(@above, he meant timeline-wise.)

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Just a few notes, first, a minor mistake on your post, Kakariko's first appeareance was in ALttP, not in OoT

Second, I feel like it's important to note that the sign in hidden village reads "old kakariko" in Hylian, theorize as you please

It does? o_0! That must meen that it is kakariko from OoT! So Impa was born in "old kakariko" so maybe all shieka are born in kakariko?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I have never played Four Swords Adventures so I can't comment on the nature of the village in that game but I have some thoughts on why the village appears to move between A Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time.

I've stated before that I think the Temple of Time, the resting place for the Master Sword, doesn't actually change location between games. Rather, I believe the land of Hyrule changes around it due to wars or environmental disasters or other things. I think that after The Imprisoning War described in A Link To The Past's backstory, much of Hyrule was ravaged and destroyed. Hyrule Castle and the surrounding town were razed and the Temple of Time destroyed. However, Ganon's minions could not destroy the Pedastal of Time or The Master Sword, since it is the blade of evil's bane. As a result, the pedastal with the sword was all that was left and nature reclaimed the land. Hyrule Castle was rebuilt in a new location and was considered the centre of the kingdom.
If you look at the in-game maps from Ocarina of Time and A Link To The Past and take the position of the Temple of Time in the former as the same location as The Master Sword in the latter, the positions of Kakariko Village and Death Mountain don't really change, providing you rotate the Ocarina of Time map a bit. Also, a sign on Death Mountain in A Link To The Past indicates a certain cave will lead to Kakariko Village, so I think the village is still considered to be at the foot of the mountain, even if it is a short walk. I also like the fact Death Mountain has a sign explaining it can only be ascended with permission from the Royal Family in both Ocarina of Time and A Link To The Past.

There are a bunch of flaws in this theory because I've never really sat down and inspected it from every angle and I haven't really thought on the position of the village in Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventures but I still think this is possible, at least to explain the village's 'movement' in the Decline Timeline. Of course, there isn't really any evidence to support it and it's just fanciful speculation on my part.

I must correct you, it appeared in Ocarina of Time first in the timeline. Read carefully.

...and that's good to know I've missed something. :-)

[...]So Impa was born in "old kakariko" so maybe all shieka are born in kakariko?

Not saying it is a 100% certainty, but Ocarina of Time does kind of suggest that Kakariko was the home [or base] of the Sheikah. If memory serves, I think it is mentioned in the game that the Sheikah are its original founders.

"R.I.P. / Here lie the souls of those who swore fealty to the Royal Family of Hyrule / The Sheikah, guardians of the Royal Family and founders of Kakariko, watch over these spirits in their eternal slumber." — Tombstone in Kakariko Graveyard (Ocarina of Time)

"My name is Impaz. I'm the last resident of this poor village. My name comes from the great one who built this village so long ago... This village was once the secret home of a proud tribe who served the royal family..." — Impaz (Twilight Princess)

Other quotes that might be useful or something.

• "Zelda's attendant, the great Impa, opened this village to the common people." — Clock soldier in Kakariko Village (Ocarina of Time)
  • "At the foot of Death Mountain you will find my village, Kakariko. That is where I was born and raised." — Impa (Ocarina of Time)
  • "This village used to be a Shiekah [sic] village, but the great Impa opened it to everyone." — Soldier by Impa's Old House (Ocarina of Time)
  • "Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, had sealed the evil shadow spirit in the bottom of the well...." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
  • "I am the boss of the carpenters that Impa hired to improve this village and make it into a true city!" — Carpenters' Boss (Ocarina of Time)
  • "A terrible thing has happened! The evil shadow spirit has been released! Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, had sealed the evil shadow spirit in the bottom of the well.... But the force of the evil spirit got so strong, the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world!!" — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
  • "I believe Impa has gone to the Shadow Temple to seal it up again, but...she will be in danger without any help! Link! Impa is one of the six Sages. Destroy the evil shadow spirit and save Impa! There is an entrance to the Shadow Temple beneath the graveyard behind this village. The only thing I can do for you is teach you the melody that will lead you to the Shadow Temple... This is the melody that will draw you into the infinite darkness that absorbs even time... Listen to this, the Nocturne of Shadow!!" — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom