• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #002: The Kokiri Children

Discussion #002: The Kokiri Children and the Deku Tree

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. The Kokiri children only ever appeared in Ocarina of Time, (I know Fado appeared in Wind Waker and I'll cover that at the end) so where did they come from, and more importantly, what happened to them afterwards? There's plenty of theories, so I'll cover as many of them as I can.

It's as if the Kokiri came out of nowhere. The Kokiri are the child-like species that never grow up from Ocarina of Time and Link grew up with them after his "mother" left him with the Great Deku Tree. The most obvious theory of where the Kokiri came from is the Deku Tree, but on a higher level than that, where did the Deku Tree come from? There really is no answer....

A very, very unlikely theory is that they could be an evolved version of the Kikwi from Skyward Sword, it does make sense considering Skyward Sword is taken place before Ocarina of Time. Also, Kokiri and Kikwi sound very similar, almost too similar. They both live in same forest-like area to the south, except in Skyward Sword it's called Faron Woods not Kokiri Forest. None of those speculations make this true though, how can a tiny little ball of cute fluff turn into the Kokiri? Not possible.

There's really no more theories of where they came from, so let's move on to what happened to them. After the Deku Tree died, you would think the Kokiri would die too, considering he may have created them, but that's not the case. Maybe because the new Deku Tree was grown they could survive. Well, you never see the Kokiri die or even see what happened to them in any Zelda game, strange.

Another thing about the Kokiri somehow surviving is that they can't leave the forest or they'll die. Even though at the end of Ocarina of Time in the credits they are celebrating Ganondorf's death in Lon Lon Ranch. They defy their own laws! Pretty damn interesting though. Or maybe they did die afterwards, that would be quite humorous if they were celebrating in Lon Lon Ranch then they just drop dead! Nah.

Saria is the most important Kokiri though, she's the sage of the forest. Maybe becoming a sage makes you immortal, so she can't die. That's what people think, but it's quite confusing. Well wherever they went, a very important point is coming up, that could turn the table completely.

"The Koroks were created as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest" is what Elji Aonuma said when interviewed. The Koroks are a race in Wind Waker that symbolise the Kokiri in many ways. They even praise the Deku Tree, which is the young Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time. They have wooden bodies and have large leaves as their face, nothing like the Kokiri. But that statement indicates that the Kokiri did not die, they got transformed into Korok form by the Deku Tree.

That basically makes it all clear that the Kokiri turned into the Koroks, well, there's still more. An actual Kokiri appears in Wind Waker which doesn't make any sense! He is the Wind Sage and he is one of those responsible for keeping the Master Sword. Remember the point that the Kokiri could never grow up though, maybe he was around in Ocarina of Time but you never see him. Perhaps the old Deku Tree wanted him to help the Link in Wind Waker. Nobody knows, this is a very strange subject.

In conclusion, all the points I can find have been included on that list, none are right, and none are wrong. Discuss this in the comments below, or post what you think! Also, constructive criticism would be nice so I can make these articles better! Have a nice day!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Last edited:

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Interesting read :)

It's not actually known whether or not the Great Deku Tree from Wind Waker is the Sprout from Ocarina of Time.

The Koroks are also so said to have taken on their form when they "came to live on the see". I don't know how long after OoT that the land was flooded, but I'd say that it was because they left the forest that they became the way they did, not because of the Great Deku Tree.

And how does a Kokiri appearing in WW make no sense? Show your work.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I like how you said that a "tiny little ball of cute fluff" cannot possibly turn into the Kokiri, and then went on to prove that the Kokiri turned into a tiny little ball of cute wood-and-leaves.

Also, I disagree with your conclusion, "none are right, and none are wrong", and fail to see how your premises lead to it.

A very, very unlikely theory is that they could be an evolved version of the Kikwi from Skyward Sword, it does make sense considering Skyward Sword is taken place before Ocarina of Time. Also, Kokiri and Kikwi sound very similar, almost too similar. They both live in same forest-like area to the south, except inSkyward Sword it's called Faron Woods not Kokiri Forest. None of those speculations make this true though, how can a tiny little ball of cute fluff turn into the Kokiri? Not possible.

I don't see why this theory is unlikely? It's called the theory of evolution, it's like saying there's no way those single-cell organisms eventually become human beings. Kokiri and Kikwi do sound similar, which in the world of Zelda is quite a strong link between species. Take the Rito, most likely named after the princess of the Zora Ruto, and we all know that the Zora evolved into the Rito. Yes, they lived in "Faron Woods" and in Ocarina of Time it's called Kokiri Forest, but the last discussion was about how Faron Woods and Ordon Village was built on Kokiri Forest, so it's also quite possible they could be the descendants of the Kikwi.

There's really no more theories of where they came from, so let's move on to what happened to them. After the Deku Tree died, you would think the Kokiri would die too, considering he may have created them, but that's not the case. Maybe because the new Deku Tree was grown they could survive. Well, you never see the Kokiri die or even see what happened to them in any Zelda game, strange.

Another thing about the Kokiri somehow surviving is that they can't leave the forest or they'll die. Even though at the end of Ocarina of Time in the credits they are celebrating Ganondorf's death in Lon Lon Ranch. They defy their own laws! Pretty damn interesting though. Or maybe they did die afterwards, that would be quite humorous if they were celebrating in Lon Lon Ranch then they just drop dead! Nah.

Unless, it didn't literally mean they would die. We all know the Kokiri are an extremely weak race and they're main defence mechanism is to run and hide, so it may have been more of a warning of the dangers outside of the forest, not that they would literally die. If they weren't created from the Deku Tree, which I don't believe they were, then the Deku Tree dying wouldn't make the Kokiri die, plus with the young Deku Tree being born, surely that would keep them alive if they did depend on the Deku Tree to live.

"The Koroks were created as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest" is what Elji Aonuma said when interviewed. The Koroks are a race in Wind Wakerthat symbolise the Kokiri in many ways. They even praise the Deku Tree, which is the young Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time. They have wooden bodies and have large leaves as their face, nothing like the Kokiri. But that statement indicates that the Kokiri did not die, they got transformed into Korok form by the Deku Tree.

Well, the Deku Tree transformed the Kokiri into the Koroks to help them survive the Great Flood, that is told to you in the game itself. This could also show that the Kikwi were transformed by the Deku Tree into the Kokiri, hence why they then worship him as a deity. There's not much else to say about this, rather than the fact that it wasn't just that they left the forest, they were transformed to help them survive in the new world.

That basically makes it all clear that the Kokiri turned into the Koroks, well, there's still more. An actual Kokiri appears in Wind Waker which doesn't make any sense! He is the Wind Sage and he is one of those responsible for keeping the Master Sword. Remember the point that the Kokiri could never grow up though, maybe he was around in Ocarina of Time but you never see him. Perhaps the old Deku Tree wanted him to help the Link in Wind Waker. Nobody knows, this is a very strange subject.

What? It's quite obvious that if a sage dies, someone else must replace them. Also, just because the Kokiri can't grow up and die what's to say the Korok can't? The Kikwi could obviously grow up so why can't the Korok? The Korok that becomes the Wind Sage might have been born well after the Great Flood even happened.

All in all, I think there's plenty of evidence supporting the evolution chain of "Kikwi --> Kokiri --> Korok" so I disagree with the fact that you think none of these theories are right or wrong and I, personally, don't believe there is that much mystery surrounded the Kokiri race.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I will list all the premises we have here and some conclusions I made

Premise 1: The words Kikwi, Kokiri and Korok are similar sounding
Premise 2: They all live in similar environments
Premise 3: The kokiri and the koroks are protected by the Deku tree
Premise 4: The koroks can fly because of the deku leaves.
Premise 5: the main difference between Kokiri and Koroks is the power of flight
Conclusion 1: based on premises 4 and 5, the deku leaves are probably what gives them shape
Premise 6: Faron woods from SS and from TP can be asumed to be the same
Premise 7: some landmarks from kokiri forest are seen in TP's faron woods
Conclusion 2: From premises 6 and 7, Kokiri forest and faron woods are one and the same (Any temple of time discussion should be left in an apropiate thread
Conclusion 3: The Kikwi and the Kokiri share habitats
Conclusion 4: Based on conclusion 1, The deku tree can shapeshift the race
Conclusion 5: The deku tree can shapeshift Kikwi into kokiri, therefore, it's not impossible for them to be the same
Conclusion 6: Taking into account Premise 1, the Kikwi probably evolved into the kokiri

Final conclusion: Kikwi evolving into Kokiri? Uncertain, though premises point to it. Kokiri evolving into koroks? based on premises it is uncertain, but it's certain based on dev quotes

Wait a minute, a few more

Main Premise: The wind and earth dead sages are ancestors of the new sages
Premise 1A: Laruto is a zora
Premise 2A: Medli is a rito
Conclusion A: zoras evolved into Rito (this is irrelevant to the topic)
Premise 1B: Fado is a Kokiri
Premise 2B: Makar is a korok
Conclusion B: Makar is a descendant of Fado
Final conclusionl: given conclusion B, It is certain that Kokiri evolved into koroks

That's it, if you have any discrepancies please comunicate them

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think there's a good possibility that the Kikwi became the Kokiri in a similar fashion to how the Kokiri became the Koroks. Reason being, as you said, they sound similar (although that's not too much to go by), and there's the freakin' Great Tree, which seems very similar to the Great Deku Tree. I don't really support either side of this theory, meaning I don't say it's true and I don't say it's not true, but I think it's a possibility.

I don't see why this theory is unlikely? It's called the theory of evolution, it's like saying there's no way those single-cell organisms eventually become human beings.

Are you sure this is a proper argument to use since evolution is not universally accepted?

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Given time. Anything can become anything. You can thank Darwin for proving that. Frankly, this is all subject to change as not much is revealed about the Kokiri. I like felipe970421's conclusion on this. Over the years, I have realized that Nintendo thrives on secrets and lose ends. I find it hard to believe that this:
Fado_Artwork_%28Ocarina_of_Time%29.png
could become this in only 100 years or so.
Koroks.jpg

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Given time. Anything can become anything. You can thank Darwin for proving that.
Proposing* that. (off-topic)

I find it hard to believe that this:
View attachment 23391
could become this in only 100 years or so.
View attachment 23392
Do you also find it hard to believe that the Zora could become the Rito in the same amount of time? [For the record, it's probably closer to a thousand or more years, since we know that several generations have passed between each event (OoT, flood, WW), and each event had faded into legend by the time the next happened.]

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Off-topic but the theory of evolution is accepted as fact by the scientific community.

On-topic, I think the Kikwi somehow becoming the Kokiri is possible and probably likely. As people have said, if the Kokiri can become the Koroks, why can't the Kikwi become the Kokiri?

We know that in the Adult Timeline the Kokiri became the Koroks but they are absent from the Child and Decline Timelines. I have never really given this issue much thought but this thread has got me thinking.

Good post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom