• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Daylight Savings Time To Be Permanently Ended

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
I'm pretty sure the existence of daylight saving time was for the purpose of farmers and most people aren't farmers anymore

Daylight saving time should definitely go, I think the real issue is that they're sticking to one hour forward

I think that's part of the problem with the mentality. We're prioritizing the lives of the consumers and not the laborers who may still benefit from this. Not everyone is privileged with indoor or work from home jobs. Maybe it'd be easier for southern states to adjust to, but I live further north, and I'm really bothered by it.

They should have horizontal dst zones to go with the timezones /s

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
I think that's part of the problem with the mentality. We're prioritizing the lives of the consumers and not the laborers who may still benefit from this. Not everyone is privileged with indoor or work from home jobs. Maybe it'd be easier for southern states to adjust to, but I live further north, and I'm really bothered by it.

They should have horizontal dst zones to go with the timezones /s
Don't you like not function on a 24 hour schedule or something? Time has no meaning to one powerful as you...

So uh, just so y'all know, this passed not by a unanimous vote, but by unanimous consent

which is not the same thing

critically, many senators had never heard of or thought about this at all until after it passed lol

Reactions: Dio

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Personally, I think this is long overdue. However. However. I am absolutely livid that they chose the wrong side of it to keep. They are doing away with the real time and keeping the spring time with the added hour. That's stupid and I hate it.

I'd love it if we could have that in Sweden. They've been talking about it in the EU, but the pandemic put those discussions on hold.
I'm the complete opposite to what you'd want though. I love to have an extra hour of sunlight in the evening instead of the sun rising earlier in the morning.
Where I live in Sweden, we only get about 5-6 hours of daylight in the end of december, and that really sucks. More light, more D vitamins and more happiness!

I think scientific studies have been done that have shown that for the majority of people in the majority of places on earth, permanent Standard Time is much healthier than permanent DST.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I would also choose for the real time to keep. If you have to get up early every day it's no fun trying to fall asleep with the sun burning in your face even with curtains closed. Fortunately I don't have to get up that early anymore but to go to work in the dark around 9 am isn't fun either. I hope when they do the same here they choose winter time

Reactions: Dio

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
My favorite reason for ousting the whole concept of DST is if you conduct international business across time zones.

Consider this scenario, you're an international businessperson who needs to handle a three way conference call between London, Sydney, and New York City.

This isn't an easy thing to do under the best of circumstances, and is made worse when the UK, USA, and Australia don't all agree when DST should be implemented.

The person in Sydney in the spring is 11 hours ahead of London, and New York is 5 hours behind London. However, New York is the first to enter DST, jumping its clocks ahead an hour, making it 4 hours behind London. Two weeks later, London does the same thing, jumping its clocks ahead an hour making New York 5 hours behind again. One week later, Sydney, which is on the opposite side of the world, leaves DST, and moves its clock back an hour.

Good luck trying to get everyone to all agree on a time to schedule that conference call. If you throw Tokyo, Japan into that mix, who doesn't even practice DST, generally speaking, then you got a true Abbot & Costello routine as you feebly try to conduct some business with your business partners across the globe.

Back before our modern, interconnected world, DST might not have mattered so much, but times have changed, especially when you consider that such conference calls are made thousands of times daily in businesses around the world.

This issue only gets worse depending on the region/province/state in that country, because nobody can keep things consistent.

For example, in Arizona, they largely don't practice DST, because good luck not getting ridiculed for suggesting to an Arizonian to get more daylight in the average 107 degree Fahrenheit summers.

Except, the Navajo Nation that lives inside Arizona does recognize DST, except, inside of the Navajo Nation is the Hopi Reservation which doesn't practice DST, except there's a part of the Hopi Reservation that has a part of the Navajo Nation inside of it, which does practice DST, and finally, there's a part of the Hopi Reservation inside of the Navajo Nation which doesn't practice DST.

Meaning, potentially, if you drive through that specific 100 mile stretch in north-eastern Arizona that would necessitate a ridiculous seven clock changes.

Is it even a wonder that they consider getting rid of it, especially when our modern, digital devices can't even keep it straight sometimes?

I personally just don't like unnecessary complications and inefficiency, so thus, I'm for getting rid of DST. Pick one side of the change and call it a day.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I had the choice I'd love the extra hour of daylight in the evening all year round. There is nothing more depressing than being inside at your desk all day and then finishing work at 5:30pm and it is already dark or getting dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom