• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Coincidence?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
This is something weird I just found. I was reminiscing about my childhood when I remembered Pokémon 2000. It was a good movie, but I then started thinking about Wind Waker. Then, for an odd reason, I found something strange that they both had in common.

In the movie, Ash has to save Lugia by obtaining three pearls from different islands. These pearls are then placed in statues and a sacred object/Pokémon is released. This is quite similar to Wind Waker, in which 3 pearls are collected, and placed in statues to let out the Tower of the Gods. Either I'm crazy, or there is something bizarre about this?

This is something weird I just found. I was reminiscing about my childhood when I remembered Pokémon 2000. It was a good movie, but I then started thinking about Wind Waker. Then, for an odd reason, I found something strange that they both had in common.

In the movie, Ash has to save Lugia by obtaining three pearls from different islands. These pearls are then placed in statues and a sacred object/Pokémon is released. This is quite similar to Wind Waker, in which 3 pearls are collected, and placed in statues to let out the Tower of the Gods. Either I'm crazy, or there is something bizarre about this?

I'm pretty sure that it's a coincidence.
The collecting three items thing is in a lot of Zelda games(ever since ALTTP).

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Most likely, they got the idea from Zelda. It's not like it matters anyway, since Nintendo owns Pokemon.

I would say coincidence. Like Midna666 said up above, collecting things (especially three things,) is a very common theme in Zelda.

Furthermore, having mystical objects, especially orbs, is a very common theme in fantasy in general.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
...damn, they got here before me...They pretty much just summed it up, I don't really have anything else to add...You do have a point Petman, but as the others said, I believe it is just pure coincidence. I mean, I could name several different games or movies that have to do with collecting 3 mystical objects. Summon Knights: Swordcraft story, uuhhhh......hold on......hhmmmm.......I'll be back later to finish the list.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I also just remembered something. The pearls are strangely the same colors in Pokémon 2000, just as they are in Wind Waker. It is quite odd if you ask me, but, then again, this is only reminiscing my childhood, so the mind's quality is not as great. If you have anything to add for that, it could be a really more bizarre coincidence?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The colours of the God's where made in Ocarina so they were bound to be them colours.

I'd say its just a coincidence. We've put three jewels on an alter, four masks on four stands and now three gems on three statues. Oot, MM and WW, respectively. It isn't excitingly origional stuff after all.... but it was still a good game :P

Coincidence.

*runs out the courtroom*

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
If not for the fact that they are both Nintendo I would agree, but fact it's the same company makes me wonder.

Which one came first?

Pokemon 2000 came first, being released in 2000, and Wind Waker being released in 2003. Yet, it appears that everybody is saying it is just conicidience. Perhaps this is just Nintendo copying off of what they originally had?

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'd still say it was a coincidence. Groups of three are very common, not just in Zelda, but in many cultures.Lots of things happen in threes.
As for placing the jewels in the statues, from what I've seen, many cultures create statues of their deities, and many times they have pretty fancy things (eg, the jewels).
The placing of the jewels just seems pretty generic though, but Zelda does indeed do it a lot.

It is defiantly a coincidence. As said many times, collecting three items is a tradition of Zelda. I don;t really see any significance to this. It is possibly that WW did use the idea from the movie, but it doesn't matter because both are properties on Nintendo.

Kybyrian

I can be very sure it's a coincidence. There are a lot of Zelda games in which you have to collect things, and as mentioned before, 3 things at quite a few times. Like in Ocarina of Time you had to collect the 3 Spiritual Stones. The statues being in both Pokemon and the game just happens to be a coincidence.

It is just Pure coincidence, Think about it, A lot of Zelda Things are based around three things all because of the Godesses, Three Godesses, Three past to the triforce, Three spiritual stones in TP, WW and another few (I can not remember), Even in TP they had three parts of that Mask Midna wants.

The Same with Pokemon and Threes, What you have stated in the first post, Three starting Pokemon, Three Legendary Birds the first time, Dogs the second time, The Regis and Most Recently the Three pokemon in Diamond (Azelf, Mespirit and Uxie).

Even in the new Pokemon Ranger going up the tower for the final story mission you have to destroy three barriers.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
most nintendo videogame actions come in 3s. not just Zelda.

think about any major bosses in any nintendo game. it usually always takes THREE hits to defeat a boss in the mario games. or it takes THREE combos to take care of bosses in Zelda games or you have to collect THREE items to do something or another.

i doubt the pearl thing was taken from the pokemon movie vice versa. you had to collect three stones in OoT, so why not collect three different stones/pearls in WW?

O

Ocarina Song

Things that are in threes are pretty common in video games. Three Pendants, three Spiritual Stones, three Pure Metals. Three orbs fits right in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom