• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can I Save Progress on Super Mario Bros for the NES?

J

Jamesxuevans

I bought an original NES and was wondering if I can save my progress on Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and/or 3? I know some game cartridges had a battery inside for saving, but do these have that option?

For Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2, you can't. I'm unsure about Super Mario Bros. 3. Though here's a tip for Super Mario Bros. When you get a game over, hold down the A button. When you start a new game again, the game will place you in the first level of the world you got the game over in.

Super Mario 3 You should be able to save in... I know I can in the allstars version. Which for the most part adheres to the originals saving conditions. However in game 1 for sure you cannot save. Its kinda like starfox 64, its able to be beaten in less then an hour, well even less then that if you use all the warping available to you. And so its saving isnt exactly a necessity.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
It should let you save after every time you beat a level for the first time, as that's how it is for my Mario Bros. 3. I have for GBA, so I'm not sure with the original, but it's pretty much a port. I think you can also save at certain Toad houses.

I think the GBA version had the option added in but I'm fairly certain that you couldn't save on the NES version.

I may be wrong, however. ;)

jugglaj91

I am me....
From what I have found online (google is remarkable friend) you cannot save in any of the Mario games for the NES system itself. Saving was added with the Mario All-Stars for SNES and if you press the home button on your Wii controller when playing them from the Virtual Console, it acts as a "save state" saving your progress thus far.

Djinn

and Tonic
No, you cannot save in any of the Mario games on the NES. That did not appear until the SNES Super Mario Allstars.
The most notable addition is a save feature: all games now allow the player to save their status at any point in the game. Upon restarting the game, the player will begin at the first level of the world they saved in, with the exception of Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_All-Stars

Mario 3 is the only one where it seems like it would be necessary since it is much longer than the other two. But very few NES games allowed saving of any kind.

*Edit*Looks like I was ninja'd

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
You can't save on the original NES version at all.

But you CAN save on the Super Mario All-Stars re-release on the SNES and Wii, as well as Super Mario Bros Deluxe for Game Boy Color.

By the way, I hope you didn't buy an original NES just to play the original Super Mario Bros... it's available on the Virtual Console on the Wii now, which is just as good, if not better.

By the way, I hope you didn't buy an original NES just to play the original Super Mario Bros... it's available on the Virtual Console on the Wii now, which is just as good, if not better.

Its not the same is it? I've got multiple versions of OoT and the only reason I play the Master Quest disc is because my N64 isn't very healthy... definitely feels better on the N64 just for nostalgic value ;)

That's something that I didn't like about the game.

You can't save your progress so each time you restart the game, you have to start at the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom